Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

HonDash -Specifications and Description

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HonDash -Specifications and Description

What's HonDash?
HonDash is an open source racing dash developed for Honda engines using a raspberry pi board.

What do I need?
-Raspberry PI model B
-HonDash board
-HDMI or RCA screen
-Crome OBD1 chipped ECU with quickdatalogging plugin enabled

Features
-8 analog inputs at max 5v (for temperature and pressure sensors)
-7 digital inputs(12v)/outputs(3.3v)
-1 serial port
-Inside temperature
-G forces meter
-Fully customizable from a pc connected via wifi/ethernet cable
-SPI and i2C protocols for other addons modules.

Road Map (no dates)
-Web service for online telemetry and message communication sharing a 3g connection with your mobile phone
-Datalogging
-MP3 player
-Graphs for onboard videos
-Hondata Kpro compatible
-Other OBD1 systems like Hondata S300/Ectune/Neptune.
-Fully configurable by XML

Source code here: https://github.com/pablobuenaposada/HonDash

Schematics

Photos

PCB

All system

videos
first test (sorry, not the best scene for go pro recording):

Last edited by DiSCLAiMER; 11-06-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: HonDash -Specifications and Description

two questions.
1.) are you selling something?
2.) are you the sole developer of this software and have a pending patent?
Old 11-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VegasInvasion
two questions.
1.) are you selling something?
2.) are you the sole developer of this software and have a pending patent?
1.No, it's open source, you can download the code from my github account right now.
2. I'm the only developer of this project, it has no pending patent, as open source code you can modify it has you want.
I don't really know if I need to register any patent or add any disclaimer, I'll look, but basically what I want is to share it behind the basic open source policy.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats pretty awesome. Iirc rasberry pi boards are really cheap. Should make a good alternative to systems like tunerview, and cheap.

Questions though.
Whats the hondash board you have in the needed parts.
Any chance of making it compatible with hondata s300?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DiSCLAiMER
1.No, it's open source, you can download the code from my github account right now.
2. I'm the only developer of this project, it has no pending patent, as open source code you can modify it has you want.
I don't really know if I need to register any patent or add any disclaimer, I'll look, but basically what I want is to share it behind the basic open source policy.
Props to you! Our community needs more that are willing to SHARE.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

Interested to see the required Hondash board.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
Thats pretty awesome. Iirc rasberry pi boards are really cheap. Should make a good alternative to systems like tunerview, and cheap.

Questions though.
Whats the hondash board you have in the needed parts.
Any chance of making it compatible with hondata s300?
Yes, it's more expensive the screen than the raspberry itself
HonDash can be the best and probably the only alternative to those ones don't want to pay the price of a racepak, mxl strada or motec.
Tunerview is not expensive at all but his screen is very basic.

Making it compatible to other systems like s300 it's complicated but not impossible, the main problem is that this systems are not cheap and in my case my engine is stock so I don't really need them. There's also the trouble of no one of this tuning systems wants to reveal his communication protocol.
Hondata specially didn't explain me the protocol they use to comunicate when I asked some time ago.
Let's see how this ends.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
Props to you! Our community needs more that are willing to SHARE.
This project born from another personal project made with Arduino and a simple lcd, and at the same time, one guy here (sleepercivic88) started all with first code snippets communicating with an obd0 ecu with crome.
So at the end, this is a nice example of sharing.

Originally Posted by spAdam
Interested to see the required Hondash board.
Updated first post with schematics and images, we must talk mate, I remember your reverse engineering in Neptune from d-series.org, your work can feed this project.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have most of the protocol. The only thing is that, out of respect for James' IP, I can't share that as an open source deal. It's not complicated to figure out, just time consuming. I ended up learning about serial communication and built my own engine sim in the process though
Old 11-08-2014, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have most of the protocol. The only thing is that, out of respect for James' IP, I can't share that as an open source deal. It's not complicated to figure out, just time consuming. I ended up learning about serial communication and built my own engine sim in the process though
mmm.. it's a shame. And about the engine sim, can you share any schematic?
Old 11-08-2014, 01:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont kow if hed be willing to help for s300 support, but theres a guy who figured out the communication for s300 and made an android app that communicates with s300. Its called sdash.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by m4xwellmurd3r
I dont kow if hed be willing to help for s300 support, but theres a guy who figured out the communication for s300 and made an android app that communicates with s300. Its called sdash.
I asked him not too much time ago and he will not share the communication protocol of s300
Old 11-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This looks really good and you are a really cool dude to let everyone enjoy it for free.Its been a long time since I have seen someone do something like this.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

As a mod I have to approach this objectively, so here goes my ball busting.
Using protocols from patented softwares walks a thin line over copyright infringement. If you're going to develop this any further I would recommend consulting a legal service so you don't end up following Cui's footsteps.
Alternatively, you can just get a bluetooth module from Moates or an S300v3 and use Neptune or SDash's free Android app, which is nearly identical to this.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As a mod I have to approach this objectively, so here goes my ball busting.
Using protocols from patented softwares walks a thin line over copyright infringement. If you're going to develop this any further I would recommend consulting a legal service so you don't end up following Cui's footsteps.
Alternatively, you can just get a bluetooth module from Moates or an S300v3 and use Neptune or SDash's free Android app, which is nearly identical to this.
I don't see any infringement here. I'm using Crome free version with his free datalogging protocol, a protocol made for output parameters to the outside, without any hacking or strange modification in order to decode the protocol.
When you synchronize a Kpro to any racepack/mxl strada/tunerview rd you don't have to pay any license.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, I need to take care of this things, I see that tunerview app is free but you have to pay later for every protocol you want to use, so I don't know if you pay to crome/hondata/neptune for a license or the money goes directly to hrtuning (app developer).

When you say neptune app you are referring to this?: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...zter.tunerview

I don't want to undervalue SDash but in my opinion they are more focused in a show off app than a racing dash, you can install a small tablet as a cluster with the app but is not his main goal.
Tunerview app has datalogging and more things, seems a great product but as sdash, they are a business and you are subject to what they want offer you.

HonDash with the support of the community can be a very very interesting project, you want bluetooth connection? no problem I have tested the connection with bluetooth module and his fine, the freedom here is amazing.
The following users liked this post:
Old 11-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

little fun with camo today

Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty freaking awesome.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mmm.. it's a shame. And about the engine sim, can you share any schematic?
I started to make one in eagle but never finished it. Time is incredibly short, I just haven't been working on my electronics projects lately.

I don't see any infringement here. I'm using Crome free version with his free datalogging protocol, a protocol made for output parameters to the outside, without any hacking or strange modification in order to decode the protocol.
When you synchronize a Kpro to any racepack/mxl strada/tunerview rd you don't have to pay any license.
Anyway, thanks for the advice, I need to take care of this things, I see that tunerview app is free but you have to pay later for every protocol you want to use, so I don't know if you pay to crome/hondata/neptune for a license or the money goes directly to hrtuning (app developer).
The Crome protocol is published, so obviously you are free to do whatever with that.

If you figure out and/or use the NepTune or Hondata protocols for personal use, there is still no problem. The issue arises if you publish or profit from someone else's intellectual property... especially if you do it by creating a competing product.

I think what you've got going on here is pretty cool though. I was actually looking at moving over to the Raspberry Pi since I was having trouble getting the Arduino to communicate at 921.6k. It would technically be easier to figure out how to get the Demon to com at 38.4k though, it's in the Moates protocols but I haven't gotten it to work yet
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 PM
I'm Huge In Japan

It is still illegal to publish someone else's intellectual property without permission even if you're not profiting.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. I did say that.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is still illegal to publish someone else's intellectual property without permission even if you're not profiting.
Aren't you doing so with your manual?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I started to make one in eagle but never finished it. Time is incredibly short, I just haven't been working on my electronics projects lately.
As computer engineer I am not pretty much into electronic design, I have used eagle but I always end doing the things I don't know how to do in eagle in paint
If you make a simple paint/paper drawing I can search some time to make an schematic.

The Crome protocol is published, so obviously you are free to do whatever with that.

If you figure out and/or use the NepTune or Hondata protocols for personal use, there is still no problem. The issue arises if you publish or profit from someone else's intellectual property... especially if you do it by creating a competing product.

I think what you've got going on here is pretty cool though. I was actually looking at moving over to the Raspberry Pi since I was having trouble getting the Arduino to communicate at 921.6k. It would technically be easier to figure out how to get the Demon to com at 38.4k though, it's in the Moates protocols but I haven't gotten it to work yet
Let's see how far this goes, at the moment I'm still fixing some bugs and trying to finish some things, but soon or later the idea is to move to hondata/neptune.
When this happens I would need to send some mails in order to don't end in prison hehe.
BTW Rafael from sdash tell me that in those cases Hondata seems friendly and has no problem giving permission.

Last edited by DiSCLAiMER; 11-18-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

added crome gear indicator, works very very good.
Also working in dataloging, future updates soon.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I might have to give this a shot, got a few RPi's laying around
Old 08-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default HonDash

Just found this after you posted in your poorboy eg6 thread. Really cool project man, I've always wanted to do something like this. I'm gonna have to build one of these when I get the time. I'd love to contribute to the project and I'd be really interested in designing some interface skins. I'm currently an industrial graphic designer and I used to do web design and iPhone app interface design.

It looks like it's been a while since you've posted here. Any new updates?

Quick Reply: HonDash -Specifications and Description