Notices
For Sale General Classifieds For Sale

*WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Spoon)

I don't think this product was intended to be sold on the U.S. market so maybe that plays a factor in the box/bag differences.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i dont think he's a scammer if he is offering a refund, i just want to know if its the same as the ITR cams then i'm cool with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here. If the specs are the same then I am keeping mine. Still probably the most hp gain I'd see for a $320 mod.

Modified by jfoster at 5:16 PM 1/2/2004
Old 01-01-2004, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes-all honda oem boxes for cams have 2 smaller closing tabs and orange sealant bags. ( to my knowledge)

Right now i just wanna see the specs and and maybe a dyno or two. If they are fake- whatever- but produce comparable gains to itr cams--what the hell might as well keep em'
Old 01-01-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xx dc2teg xx)

So it's not the JDM box thats only 1 tabbed? haha.. well someone get them check'd see if they are the same specs! anyone got one of those measuring tools? i asked twisted Si to check, but either A. he doesnt know how... or B. He hasnt seen my pm.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dave also said he would like to video tape an install and dyno run, then host it on a site for us to see. I didn't mention it because neither of us knew how long that would take to put together and get up and running, but if it happens I'll be sure to share.
Old 01-01-2004, 09:15 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So it's not the JDM box thats only 1 tabbed? haha.. well someone get them check'd see if they are the same specs! anyone got one of those measuring tools? i asked twisted Si to check, but either A. he doesnt know how... or B. He hasnt seen my pm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what....are jdm boxes 1 tabbed? who did u hear that from. USDM honda dealerships get there products straght from japan right??

maybe jdm and usdm package things differently-can someone confirm this?
Old 01-01-2004, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

K, the reason i say this is because Jonas said something in another thread, that kinda got me confused.. here it goes, found it, heres the link and quote. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=709541
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonas &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you guys have to understand that an "OEM" product doesnt mean it's straight from Honda. Honda doesn't even make most of their parts!
I'm a technician at Mercedes and our parts department can get parts for almost any car, including my honda. The parts department buys OEM Honda products straight from the people who manufacture the products FOR HONDA.. not BY HONDA.

in other words, they delete the middle man (Honda) and go directly to the company who manufactures the parts for them..before Honda puts their badge (and price) on the parts.

what prostreetonline has here might very well be that same kind of product
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-01-2004, 09:21 PM

to the top to the top!
Old 01-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, nm last time i read it i was confused because i was drunk a bit. Now i understand, soooooooooo.. now what do you guys think? think these cams were made by someone that manufactures for them for Honda, THEN they get sent to Honda??
Old 01-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do believe Dave buys directly from a honda parts supplier in japan, not from honda the dealer/company. And you are correct, alot of honda parts are manufactured out of house.

So if Dave buys from a manufacter that makes parts for honda of japan and not honda of the U.S. would that explain the boxes/bags?
Old 01-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jfoster)

ttt
Old 01-02-2004, 01:07 AM

Default Re: (importboi22)

those with those pink bags = fake big time.

I have looked at the ITR cams for about 1 year sitting close to me complete head....

the give aways are the fake pink bag, the fake box, the fake sticker

fucken fake cams
Old 01-02-2004, 01:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bossman032)

dave seems to be willing to take back the cams he sold under his normal warrentee which is

uninstalled and within 30 days.... pretty fair to me.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Re: (importboi22)

importboii
im doing a new build on my motor and i must agree all the bags are indeed orange, i keep them all.
i did buy some cams from dshih(ctr) pink bag, i havent installed them yet.

now these ctr cams do got the 2 rings on the dis end, it also say m & 2, from the pics the lobe profiles look similiar, but i do notice the tint and the slight flake on the lobe.
so what is this a skunk core with ctr specs/grooved rings machined on them?
Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does anyone know who makes the cams for honda ? seems that noboby seems to know any exact info on them.

im guessin that honda has probably clocked on that the cams sell like hot cakes so maybe they produced another batch which may seem different to first lot, maybe even made by someone different than who made first batch.

but then again, maybe some ****** has decided to open their own little factory.

ive got some news on my cams but will post when i get more info back.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: (vti444)

ahh.. who knows?

just waiting for the dynos and miced results
Old 01-02-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (importboi22)

good looking g...thats why im scared to buy **** on ebay
Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (mrctr)

All of this is inconsequential, subjective bullshit.

Someone please pull their ******* head out their *** and measure the cams with a micrometer. "Quality" doesnt affect power, profiles do, if the profiles are different then their fake.

As of right now all you know is that you think they might have felt weaker, the color of the bag might have been slightly different, and they had a bronzeish tint.

Thats alot of nada, until you measure the cam lobes between a real cam and a fake cam, you know nothing.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:58 AM

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (Br1t1shguy)

can someone find out before the 30 day refund expires?!
Old 01-02-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (Br1t1shguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1t1shguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All of this is inconsequential, subjective bullshit.

Someone please pull their ******* head out their *** and measure the cams with a micrometer. "Quality" doesnt affect power, profiles do, if the profiles are different then their fake.

As of right now all you know is that you think they might have felt weaker, the color of the bag might have been slightly different, and they had a bronzeish tint.

Thats alot of nada, until you measure the cam lobes between a real cam and a fake cam, you know nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-02-2004, 12:11 PM
New User

Ok for the record...There is absolutely no doubt that ITR boxes have two tabs and that the bags are orange...I dont care what market Japan, US or the frickin North Pole...Period. However the core is definitely different which can affect its reliability...I don't care what the specs are, Honda reliability is one of the key reasons why people purchase real OEM Honda cams

Second I here people saying that as long as they make power they will keep them. Well lets not forget about the first batch of Skunk 2 camshafts that hit the market...Can you say Ka-Boom! I am certainly not saying that will happen w/ these cams but there isnt any history to disprove my idea either. The sad part about all of this is that someone, and I am certainly not pointing any fingers here, had this done...At some level somebody had a camshaft made, had fake Honda labels made, had boxes made, purchased product bags and moved them as OEM cams...It is really sad that someone was able to make a decision like this without any interuption from their conscience. Is profit really this important, Seriously! I think it is a shame to purchase this product knowing that the person who originally made these cams will benefit from each sale.

Now here is the unfortunate part of the whole situation...You have innocent people that may have purchased these cams without knowing the authenticity...So now anytime someone wants to purchase a set of OEM cams they are going to second guess their purchase, even if the seller is reputable. In the back of their mind they will be wondering if they are getting real cams. That is really unfortunate because Honda makes a terrific cam that is ultra reliable, great performing and an overall great value. Lastly I do think it is great that Dave Shih is standing behind his sales, which definitely shows something in this day and age. This shows us that the mistake must have been made higher up on the food chain. Good job Dave for doing the right thing!
Old 01-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B20Vtec)

the only fake set i know is in my friends GSR and i still cant get a hold of him....
Old 01-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1t1shguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All of this is inconsequential, subjective bullshit.

Thats alot of nada, until you measure the cam lobes between a real cam and a fake cam, you know nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fake or not. Selling cams claiming that they are OEM honda by putting their part sticker and replicating their box is bs. It would be better to be honest about the products instead of lying about them. I can careless if one is more reliable and makes more power. I'm more concerned about how moral it is to lie to your clients.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (Lost Type R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lost Type R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Fake or not. Selling cams claiming that they are OEM honda by putting their part sticker and replicating their box is bs. It would be better to be honest about the products instead of lying about them. I can careless if one is more reliable and makes more power. I'm more concerned about how moral it is to lie to your clients.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lost type R hit the nail right on the HEAD....
Old 01-14-2004, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys my friend has a set of CTR cams(in question). we pulled his head and i looked at his intake cam and it didn't have the rings. then i looked at my b16 intake cam and it looked identical. the only difference is that my intake cam has the letters "z/e" and his had the letters "k/w". apparently his aern't ctr's. my question is are they stock b16 cams or what? thanks for the help. peace
Old 01-14-2004, 01:42 AM
Banned

Default Re: (Zerob16eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Zerob16eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok guys my friend has a set of CTR cams(in question). we pulled his head and i looked at his intake cam and it didn't have the rings. then i looked at my b16 intake cam and it looked identical. the only difference is that my intake cam has the letters "z/e" and his had the letters "k/w". apparently his aern't ctr's. my question is are they stock b16 cams or what? thanks for the help. peace</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe jdm b16 cams? Who knows..

Quick Reply: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER