Notices
For Sale General Classifieds For Sale

*WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (EL Vap133)

tt
Old 12-31-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (ArinX)

no idea but i retracted the CTR cam that i had for sale after finding out its fake
Old 12-31-2003, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (importboi22)

scammers
Old 12-31-2003, 10:55 AM

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (importboi22)

Buying stuff online whether on ebay or on honda tech or even in person everything is a risk
Old 12-31-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-31-2003, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a "JDM parts distributor" that has been distributing this crap for a few years now.. They do CTR cams, CTR pistons, valves, etc. I wish I remembered the name of the company..it was something like SRT or SBR or something like that..
lots of knock off stuff on ebay.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (ek four)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek four &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why not buy from a reputable dealer in the first place </TD></TR></TABLE>

To save money, but it don't look like it's workin out that way.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (FastAssEG)

are these the fake things ur talking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...33614

looks like a rip off
Old 12-31-2003, 01:36 PM

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (hYpE-R-29)

looks like another company making cams...
why dont you read, ( skunk2 style )...
its just a new company that is starting to develope new products like CROWER.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (Reza^)

I went to ebay and typed in "ITR" and came up with about 20 itr cam ads "buy it now" for like $440

Ebay is so shady to me, poeple always trying to make a quick buck

As far as im concerned it sounds like a scam.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:40 PM
Trial User

Default Re: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER (Reza^)

Damn, that sucks! F*&k scammers!
[shameless plug] I'm selling some legit ones: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=703827 [\shameless plug]
Old 12-31-2003, 01:46 PM
Banned

jfoster came on here, advertising those "fake" ctr cams, and he ended up selling a shitload of these cams to people here. I was gonna get a set, but I decided to keep my motor stock and save up for something else.. Can anyone CONFIRM that these are fake? the ones labeled "fake" on the guy's post? cams being sold by dshih something.. Wow that sucks..

Modified by .jefs0ng at 3:13 PM 12/31/2003
Old 12-31-2003, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (.jefs0ng)

Watch your tounge until you show proof. I am not selling cams. I did tell people to contact Dave Shih for a group buy on them. I ordered a set to. I have yet to install mine but check this thread http://www.gs-r.com/phpBB2/vie...rt=30 The user/moderator aznsmtboy bought his cams from this group buy and his satisfied comments can be found there.

I called Dave today to discuss this matter. Yes some people are selling fakes, he is not. After becoming aware of the problem Dave had a set miced (measured with a micrometer) and installed a set and dynoed the car to see if there were gains. The gains were there and the measurements matched.

Dave told me he stands behind his products and his customers. If you are doubtful then have your cams measured by a machine shop or Honda. If they don't match and you haven't installed them Dave will refund your money. If you have installed them and are not satisfied please contact Dave. I am sure he will work with you but I can't say you will get a refund as the problems maybe related to your installation job.

If someone(that participated in Daves GB) does get there cams measured PLEASE let everyone know one way or another here at H-T. If you have installed PLEASE leave you opinions of the cams here for all to see.

Thanks, JFoster
Old 12-31-2003, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats a good thing you posted this because one of the fake ones you listed i was about to purchase, omg, thanks
Old 12-31-2003, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wpgcivic)

I'm one of the persons that purchased cams from David Shih. His website was posted on here as one of the fake ones from Ebay,the plastic wrapping is pink, but why does it matter what color wrapping they used? does Honda ALWAYS wrap their products with orange plastic? One thing i'm not clear on is, are the CTR and ITR cams supposet to have the same marking? Because the cams that i bought have an M on it and a 2, which is more like the spec of what a Skunk 2 cam has. Sooooo...I'll be going to Honda and asking maybe on Monday, or earlier... i am going to be pist if these are fake.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Spoon)

Just so everyone knows I contacted the guy on the gsr.com forum and showed him whats going on. He is the only person I know who not only bought but also installed the cams from the group buy with Dave. He signed up to H-T.com to post here but can't post in the classifieds as he is a trial member. He emailed me and told me to post this on his behalf. Copied and pasted from his email message:

i just registered an account to vouch for Jfoster and Dave Shih on the groupbuy that was setup for 2001 JDM ITR Cams (intake and exhaust). Unfortunately i am unable to post in the classified forum until the trail user restricition is removed. I am having James (Jfoster) post this for me.

These cams definitely make more power then the GS-R cams. If you are driving a GS-R and have installed the cams from Dave and Jfoster's group buy, your description of it should be close to this:

There is a noticable power increase between 3300-4400 RPM's, with the stock VTEC engagement point, 4400-5500 lags, after that, the power increases again all the way to 8200 RPM's. 5500-8200 RPM's is a blast.

I hope that will help clear things up. Feel free to email me with any questions you might have. aznsmtboy @ hotmail.com &lt;do not fix this email address, this is to prevent spamming by spammers who spam random webpages for email addresses.

So he is pleased with his cams. I would like to here from other as to what they think, good or bad.Just so everyone knows, the lag he described from 4400-5500rpms is to be expected with ITR cams in a GSR, as the cams are design for the higher vtec engagement point of an ITR. Using a device to raise the GSR vtec engagement point will eliminate this lag.

Spoon, yes please verify the status of the cams and let us know.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jfoster)

just what a user IM'd me with about what he got....

(1:14 AM 1/1/2004): Thanks for the heads up man. I bought a set of those cams too. And I noticed the alignment pin holes were slightly off, making it very hard to set the valve timing. Also the edges of the lobes were really flakey and chipping off small pieces of metal somthing I would not expect from honda. Now I am sure they are fake
Old 12-31-2003, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (importboi22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importboi22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just what a user IM'd me with about what he got....

(1:14 AM 1/1/2004): Thanks for the heads up man. I bought a set of those cams too. And I noticed the alignment pin holes were slightly off, making it very hard to set the valve timing. Also the edges of the lobes were really flakey and chipping off small pieces of metal somthing I would not expect from honda. Now I am sure they are fake</TD></TR></TABLE>
So what cams are these that you are selling? importboi? real ones? https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=720239#7893648
Old 12-31-2003, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (importboi22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importboi22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just what a user IM'd me with about what he got.... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is it the "mystery user" only shares with you and not all of us?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importboi22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought a set of those cams too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Which cams? Cams from Dave or one of the other sellers?
Old 12-31-2003, 08:14 PM

i buy several things from the dealership and get everything in pink wrapping ( bolts, oil orifice, etc ...) ... also i get brown or white boxes
Old 12-31-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eghead)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TwistedSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"></TD></TR></TABLE>

That is what my box looks like. Inside my cams are sealed in pinkish see-through plastic. The label says HONDA, and honda genuine parts up in the corner. It also has a bar code. I wonder if a dealership could scan that label?

I called the dealership too, before I ordered and those are the correct part#s.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why is it the "mystery user" only shares with you and not all of us?

because i respect the fact that he may not want his identy exposed but he bought the ones from dave

Which cams? Cams from Dave or one of the other sellers?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-31-2003, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jfoster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is what my box looks like. Inside my cams are sealed in pinkish see-through plastic. The label says HONDA, and honda genuine parts up in the corner. It also has a bar code. I wonder if a dealership could scan that label?

I called the dealership too, before I ordered and those are the correct part#s.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can copy a label and itll still be able to be scanned.... take out the cams and look at them just by looking at the lobes you'll be able to tell..... the knockoffs have burs and just overall look shitty plus the knocks have a slight bronze tint to hte lobes..., honda quality you can tell....
Old 12-31-2003, 09:33 PM
New User

Honda ONLY uses an orangish colored bag for its camshaft packaging...They do NOT use a pinkish colored bag for packaging. Lastly the boxes pictured are not the EXACT same boxes that Honda uses for their camshafts & something looks funny about the labels, I cant quite put my finger on it but they just don't look like OEM Honda lables.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:48 PM

Default Re: (B20Vtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20Vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda ONLY uses an orangish colored bag for its camshaft packaging...They do NOT use a pinkish colored bag for packaging. Lastly the boxes pictured are not the EXACT same boxes that Honda uses for their camshafts & something looks funny about the labels, I cant quite put my finger on it but they just don't look like OEM Honda lables.</TD></TR></TABLE>

r u f'n serious-- i ordered from the david shih guy-- can someone confirm if these are real or not??

Now i'm starting to think for 320$ it was too good!

Quick Reply: *WARNING* for people buying CTR/ITR cams off ebay or anywhere besides the DEALER