Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

what choices do i have regarding springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what choices do i have regarding springs?

i don't want to go coilover right now. just want somthing in the 400lb up front and about 500 rers or anything close to it. just replacement springs no sleeves like gc or anything.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what choices do i have regarding springs? (tvrsir)

H & R
Eibach
Hypercoil

http://www.stranoparts.com
Old 07-14-2003, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

None. If you want those rates, you'll have to get a coil-over sleeve system. No company is going to do off the shelf OE shaped coils with rates that high as the market is too small and that is too much rate for the general public market. The closer you get to that rate in existing brands, you'll likely have too much lowering for the car to work right. Hyperco and others will custom wind if you insist but it won't be cheap.

This maybe a case of champagne taste on a beer budget. You'll need to raise your budget or lower your expectations.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: what choices do i have regarding springs? (CRX Lee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> This maybe a case of champagne taste on a beer budget. You'll need to raise your budget or lower your expectations.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yoink......my new sig
Old 07-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what choices do i have regarding springs? (CRX Lee)

so what do you guys think. ran sts yesterday. the car was pushing like crazy. i bought this car a year ago it has agx's and some wired spring. i was told they are h&r but they have ha stamped on them. so what are your suggestions. i have read all the archives but can't really understand what i should do.

i have a 93 civic with d16z6 full interior.

i also have a 95 integra i just bought with gc on it. are the civic and teg interchangeable. and if you guys know. what is the spring rates on the integra springs from gc kit.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:41 AM
.RJ

if the car is pushing like that, you're overdriving it
Old 07-14-2003, 09:44 AM
New User

If you want those rates you will also need upgraded dampers/shocks/struts. For those Koni Yellow would be the best economical damper. I don't think AGX will take rates as high as you want. Assumming you have the dampers already a set of sleeves from GC or elsewhere are not 'that' expensive. Well worth the extra investment.

If you don't have good dampers you will need to spend around $400+/- to get a good set. Even with race springs (H&R, Neuspeed, etc) I can't see stock dampers working well.

You can read the springs on the teg. The GC springs, actually eibach springs, are printed in a "code" that will give you the rate. Depending on application the standard GC rate is around 400f/300r but they do custom so it depends on buyer. You really need to just see whats on there.

As RJ said, if your car is pushing your overdriving it. The brake can be the fastest pedal in the car. Autcross is not a speed event its about getting around the course in the shortest time.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what choices do i have regarding springs? (MattG)

anyone everheard of the body threaded koni coilover are they any good?

Old 07-14-2003, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on what model of KONI you are discussing but yes, they are all good for what they are designed and hopefully at the price point they are at. If you are talking about the 1150 series KONI coil-over kits, then you will find the spring rates softer than you are discussing as their goal was a good range of lowering and a good handling upgrade while maintaining a good street ride.

The shocks in that specific kit is extremely similar to the normal 8041 Sports with a press-on threaded sleeve. I think the front is a little bit shorter in max length but the rear is the same. This is not true for many of the other cars that the 1150 kits fit (Audi, VW, BMW, etc) but it is the case on the Honda. From what you discuss, I think youa re better to go with normal 8041 Sports and a well sorted threaded sleeve kit like GCs rahter than to buy the 1150 kit and have a spring that is really under your goal rates.

If you are talking about the 3011, 3012, 2812, etc. racing coil-over units, that is another world of custom facbbed race shocks and not street derived units. For the street, you are better to stick with the street based stuff for pice, funciton and longevity. If you pockets and needs are such that you need more, we can talk more.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are myriad things you can do to combat the push...

- you could trailbrake into corners more
- you could adjust tire pressures
- you could get the car aligned and have the rear wheels toed out
- etc...

The answer to the Integra GCs on a Civic is "it depends." Coilover sleeves have to fit the *shock* more than they have to fit the *car*, so it'll depend on that. If you have stock shocks on the Civic and Konis on the Integra (just an example), I'd bet they won't fit. The folks who can answer this for you are the folks at Ground Control.