Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Tow Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tow Vehicles (Andrie Hartanto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andrie Hartanto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm considering new truck. What is the tow rating for V10 Dually truck? I plan to tow a 44' gooseneck trailer with total weight of 15K lbs.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Andrie, your trailer is huge. Its got to weigh more than 15k loaded with both your cars. I'd recommend you stick with a diesel. You might even want some sort of flatbed conversion light-duty hauler to tow that thing.

$.02
Old 01-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (firefighter81)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by firefighter81 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know much about diesels, I didn't know the maintenance cost was that much higher with them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a common misconception. Maintenance costs might be a little higher but not by much. Here's my maintenance schedule:

- Change oil every 5K
- Change fuel filter ($16 and five minutes) every 10K, and I'm doing it more than I need to

That's it. They do hold a LOT of oil - my 7.3L PSD holds 15 quarts, and the oil filters are enormous (and as such slightly more expensive). But I'm not changing it every 3K anymore since there's so much of it, and I'm off of synthetic oil altogether with this thing.

Diesel trucks also tend to come with twin batteries. Twice as expensive when the time comes to replace, and you do want to replace both at the same time. FWIW, mine are original to the truck and now five years old.

I will grant you that dealing with 15 quarts of waste oil per change is a headache.

Any of the other "expensive" maintenance items on my Excursion diesel would be present with a gas model as well. Large amount of coolant on board, be careful with that transmission fluid and keep it clean...etc. No difference between gas and diesel there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaddMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kinda like my kitchen. If I put 10 large into new tile, countertops and cabinets, you might say I spent $10,000. I say I get $10,000 more for my house when I sell, and in the meantime, I get to use a kickass kitchen.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This rings true for me as well. I paid a little more for a diesel SUV but dammit I *like* it.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (krshultz)

When I purchased my first diesel in 2001, I did some calculating. IIRC, I figured that I would need to drive 80k miles to break even on the cost of the diesel motor option. I considered the cost of fuel, amount of oil in a oil change, cost of filters. I didn't factor in the cost of spark plugs .Diesel was just a bit cheaper than regular unleaded then. The PSD needed more oil than the V10. Oil filters cost more. I did assume that the PSD would need oil changes every 5k vs 7k for the gasser. @ the time, I was driving a Chevy gasser & that is when the 'engine monitor' computer was telling me to change it. This was on a F250 PSD vs an F250 V10. Considering that diesel is more expensive now the midgrade, I am sure it takes longer to break even. One thing that needs to be mentioned, typically a diesel engine will not need to be overhauled until much longer after the gasser has needed to.

When it came time to purchase the F350 dually, there was never a question in my mind what powerplant I would be getting. Once you tow with a diesel, you don't really want to go back to gas.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (firefighter81)

My damn 6.0L super stroker is getting a whopping 8-8.5 mpg when towing 85-90...I used to get about 10mpg at the same speed. It's in the shop now getting checked out.

AJ
Old 01-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tow Vehicles (Aahj)

Your problem is here:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">towing 85-90</TD></TR></TABLE>

Strokes get lousy mileage above 2000 rpms. I've got the 3.73 rear, which generates 2000 rpms @ 70mph. With the A/C on "stun" I still get 16 mpg towing.

BTW Greg, short term, you are absolutely correct. If you plan to have the vehicle for 2-3 years and that's it, a big block gasser probably makes more financial sense. $4000-$5000 will buy a LOT of gas.

As for me, you'll rip my Powerstroke out of my cold dead hands....right after I replace the transmission though....
Old 01-10-2006, 05:02 PM

I drove an 88 non-turbo pulling one of our 8000lb front loaders. I'd floor it about the time that the car was a length from me and by the time he passed I was starting to move. Definatly going turbo. I thought they went turbo in 90 though.

My uncle used to drive semi's. According to him the trans would go 250K and the engine would go 500K. That's on a semi. I don't know if one of the 350/3500 whatever would be longer or shorter.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (ewaugh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't know if one of the 350/3500 whatever would be longer or shorter</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely shorter on the 350. The C6 trans on my van was as close to bulletproof as you can get. The 4R100 on my Stuperduty is, ah...less so.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (krshultz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krshultz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
This rings true for me as well. I paid a little more for a diesel SUV but dammit I *like* it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding ding ding!

That is what I kept coming back to in my search for a truck. I could have easily saved $5k+ by going with a gasser, and frankly for my purposes could probably have gotten by "OK" with a '95 or so F150. What kept coming up was that <U>I didn't WANT to just get by</U>, I wanted to jump in, get out onto the interstate, set the cruise at around 70, and not have to worry my little head about it until I got to the track.

I determined that for ME it is worth at least $5k for that piece of mind not having to look at every hill and decide if it can make it up without downshifting, not having to measure tongue weight to the pound, not worrying if that extra person coming with us is going to mean we can't make it up that last big hill, etc.

Therefore, PSD it is for me. With a 6 speed, thanks. (I can learn from other's lessons occasionally)

Besides, there is nothing cooler (in towing) than coming up on that big hill, hearing the turbo spool up and watching the speedo just sit right dead pegged on 70 without ever a waver.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aahj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">towing 85-90</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (MaddMatt)

"Fighting"? No, just disagreeing on preferences. I do love diesels (always have, always will), and I don't think we're too far apart anyway. Don't sell the V10 short, though; they tow easily as wll as the PSDs. I've fallen in love with that engine (especially due to the soft benefits I mentioned above). If you get a chance to tow with one, try it.

Of course, trying to economically support which truck we like while all while wasting thousands of dollars on a hobby that has absolutely no socially redeeming value is, well, embarrasing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaddMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The 4R100 on my Stuperduty is, ah...less so. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Buy and install a Banks TransCommand *right now*. It's easy to do and will improve the towing ability and life of the trans immensely. All my Ford autos get one as the very first option...
Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (Greg Amy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greg Amy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Buy and install a Banks TransCommand *right now*. It's easy to do and will improve the towing ability and life of the trans immensely. All my Ford autos get one as the very first option...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Greg, what does the TransCommand (and others like it I suppose) actually *do*?
Old 01-11-2006, 06:08 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greg Amy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Buy and install a Banks TransCommand *right now*. It's easy to do and will improve the towing ability and life of the trans immensely. All my Ford autos get one as the very first option...</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I still had a 4R100 equipped truck, I went the Sonnax valve & tricumalator spring route. Installing them increased the line pressure & quickened the shifts. Both things helped the life of the clutch plates & improved firmness of the shifts. Unlike the TransCommand, those parts altered the tranny shift schedule all of the time. Decreasing the slip, helped to keep the temps low. Overheating the tranny fluid in the 4R100 seems to be the number one cause of problems for that tranny. If you aren't already, I would also recommend some good synthetic tranny fluid.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (krshultz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krshultz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Greg, what does the TransCommand (and others like it I suppose) actually *do*? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Karl, basically the same thing that civicrr described. The E40D and 4R100 are electronically-controlled transmissions that get their instructions from the EEC. The TransCommand is an additional computer that sits between the trans and the EEC, intercepts the inputs/outputs to and from the EEC, basically making it think it's got a heavier load than it really does, and adjusts line pressures and shift points (the TC actually does both).

Ford, from the factory, had to program these trannies not for towing but so that people using their TRUCKS to go to work wouldn't complain about the hard shifts. Unfortunately, nice soft slow shifting is the enemy of a hard-working truck's transmission. As civicrr noted, heat and slippage is the killer of these trannies, and by increasing the line pressures and firming up the shifts it reduces both, improving life and actually improving shifting under load.

I, too, gave serious thought to installing the physical valve and spring kit into my truck. However, when I got the box of parts and started looking into what's involved with the installation, this auto-tranny-ignoramus said, "uh, NFW" and sent it back. The TransCommand, on the other hand, is a simply 3- or 4-wire electrical box that mounts to the frame somewhere, and you remove three or four pins from the electrical connector of the trans and replace it with the TransCommand wires. Then, you put the 3/4 original wires into the TC plug and you're done. It took me all of about an hour or so to install. Better still, it comes with a bypass plug, so when my wife and her sister-in-law borrowed the van last weekend to go to Philly pick up some antiques I was able to quickly convert it back to Grandma mode so it wasn't snapping their necks...

I suspect, but don't know for a fact, that the TransCommand functions identically to what Ford is offering in their new trucks, the "tow mode". That mode is nothing more than a computer reprogramming, too.

Either method will work, but I strongly suggest you do one or the other. - GA
Old 01-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (civicrr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicrr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I still had a 4R100 equipped truck, I went the Sonnax valve & tricumalator spring route. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I went one step further and installed a new valve body from BTS.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (johng)

Well John, you cheated! BTS wasn't offering that service when I did mine, remember?
Installation does require dropping the tranny pan & r&r parts in the valve body.

Greg, while I am no tranny expert, the 5R100 is way more advanced that just a reprogramed 4R100 with an extra gear. The brain is more sophisticated for sure. It is in fact a 6 speed tranny. Depending on the info it gathers, it will use one of two 2nd gears. It doesn't have a traditional valve body like the 4R100. Instead, it uses electronic solenoids to control the tranny vs the traditional valve body. It will hold gears for longer on acceleration. It will downshift by applying the brake pedal to help you maintain speed on the downgrades. It will sometimes do the downshift by itself. It has proven to be pretty reliable so far. People who have had problems are those who have run tuners - early tuners didn't address the tranny program very well.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicrr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...the 5R100 is way more advanced that just a reprogramed 4R100 with an extra gear.</TD></TR></TABLE>
So noted! I do know that when I drove my buddy's 2005 truck I was suitably impressed...
Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Buy and install a Banks TransCommand *right now*. It's easy to do and will improve the towing ability and life of the trans immensely. All my Ford autos get one as the very first option...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, since it has to be rebuilt to replace the damn mechanical diode that is failing, I will be popping for the upgraded valve body.

The 5R100 is WAAAY more advanced than the 4R100. In tow mode, the damn thing rev matches the down shifts. That thing is straight pimpin'.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Fighting"? No, just disagreeing on preferences.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We'll just refrain from NX vs SE-R brake discussions

I know the V10 is likely the towing equal of the Powerstroke. I thought about getting one because long about the time gas hit $2 around here, people started dropping them like they were dead squirrels or something. I just couldn't bring myself to tow at 8mpg. And at the time, diesel was cheaper than 87 octane.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicrr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well John, you cheated! BTS wasn't offering that service when I did mine, remember? </TD></TR></TABLE>

True, but I'm still not completely impressed with it. After I got the chip, the trans wasn't shifting well at all. So I had the chip reprogrammed with a PMT trans code and I added the valve body at the same time. It shifts better, but more like stock instead of firm like I hear other guys talk about. Apparently there's some modifications I can make to it, but I haven't called Brian for the directions yet.

PS, The DP-Tuner chip is insane. It makes the 7400 lb truck feel like it's 2400 lbs.
Matt and Karl... you guys NEED one.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaddMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, since it has to be rebuilt to replace the damn mechanical diode that is failing, I will be popping for the upgraded valve body.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The mechanical diode is a POS. I broke the top of mine off cleanly with a hard full throttle shift with trailer in tow. Stupid way to do a second gear.

Get the tranny place to go thru & replace all the cheap plastic parts too!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greg Amy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unfortunately, nice soft slow shifting is the enemy of a hard-working truck's transmission. As civicrr noted, heat and slippage is the killer of these trannies, and by increasing the line pressures and firming up the shifts it reduces both, improving life and actually improving shifting under load.
-GA</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is the third or fourth time I've heard this said. *shops for Ram stuff*

PS: I'm another very happy gas tow vehicle owner. Tow rating ~12000 pounds? Check. 7 mpg towing a gooseneck? Check. Crappy resale value? Check. 2/3 the cost of a comparable new Diesel? Check.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (TeamSlowdotOrg)

Hmmm. Lets say I tow to Summit Pt. 700 mile round trip, 15 mpg (mountains), =47 gallons used. At $2.59/gallon that's $122 for fuel. Big Block gasser does the same trip at 8mpg, usung 87.5 gallons. At $2.39/gallon that's $209 for fuel. The $87 difference should cover most of my hotel for the weekend (I said most).
Old 01-11-2006, 11:03 AM
.RJ

Integra = 35mpg highway, sleep on someone else's hotel floor
Old 01-11-2006, 11:15 AM
SJR

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Integra = 35mpg highway, sleep on someone else's hotel floor </TD></TR></TABLE>

and you can kiss those days good-bye.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:17 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (SJR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SJR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and you can kiss those days good-bye. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know

F150 + 5.4L.... i'm still not paying for a damn hotel room or track food though
Old 01-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaddMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The $87 difference should cover most of my hotel for the weekend (I said most).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget I'm making ~$500 per year (or not paying that in interest) investing that $5000 I saved on the purchase price, plus my insurance is about $200/yr less, property taxes about $250 per year less, and my truck is already well depreciated when I bought it, so I won't lose near as much on the resale...now we're talking ~$1000 less outlay per year on top of the $5000 saved from the purchase price (of which you can only recover on resale pro-rata based on depreciation; you'll never get the whole $5000 back).

Plus, since I drive a van, I could sleep in it if I didn't want to pop for the $87 hotel room, so that's more money staying in the pocket....It would take a LOT of fuel savings to cover that delta. Matt, you don't want to get into a numbers war; I've done all the numbers and I'm good at it...

Like I said before, there's no need for you to try and support the additional expense of the diesel; its advantages are soft and it's your preference! It's not a religion, it's a truck; just enjoy it! - GA

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicles