Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Tow Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Vehicles

Been researching the best bang for the buck tow vehicles and figured I'd see what you guys use to tow yours.

My guidlines....cheap and reliable is the main thing. I didn't wanna spend more than $15k. I was looking mainly into ~1997 Ford F250/350 diesels and also older Dodge diesels. I'll be towing an enclosed 25-30ft trailer with a Formula/CSR/DSR car (~1000lbs) and spares like tires/tools/etc. I'll probably throw a twin sized bed somewhere in there too and a small generator and space heater so I'll have somewhere comfortable to sleep on race weekends without springing for the $80 a night hotel rooms.

I was thinking diesel just because of towing capacity and how reliable they are even at higher mileages. I think the 97 F250 with the 7.3L diesel can tow around 18k lbs, which leaves me room for growth later on down the road.

The less that I have to spend on a tow vehicle the better, that will just mean more money leftover for the racing budget. I don't mind driving something a little older that's not as good looking as the others, it won't be my daily driver, it will be a tow vehicle/hauler/work truck. I'm not picky as to make or model, I just want something that will be pretty reliable for 200-300 mile trips.

Any input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jason
Old 01-09-2006, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (firefighter81)

Ford E/F-350 with the Triton V-10. Pulls as good as the diesel and costs easily +$5000 less than a comparable PSD. - GA
Old 01-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tow Vehicles (Greg Amy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ford E/F-350 with the Triton V-10. Pulls as good as the diesel and costs easily +$5000 less than a comparable PSD</TD></TR></TABLE>

And gets 1/2 the mileage while doing it. Enclosed trailer? Plan on 8mpg. At best. Powerstroke with that will get probably 13-14. I get 16 pulling my open trailer and track crap (about 6000 lbs). Intake and exhaust should get me to 18mpg while towing.

If you tow A LOT, diesel is the only way to go.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I have a 2000 Chevy Expressvan 3500 HD. It tows like its not towing anything open trailer with lots of spares and the car. Goes up the grapevine at 70MPH towing.

Edo
Old 01-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (MaddMatt)

ot: Is diesel super expensive back east? It is ridiculous out here now.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tow Vehicles (vtecvoodoo)

hi.

around here, diesel is about $0.40 more per gallon than regular gas.

i tow a Pace enclosed trailer with my dad's 2500HD 8100 Vortec-Allison. i get about 10-11 mpg at 60-65 mph. i get about 8.5-9 mpg at 85-90 mph. the truck pretty much never downshifts, unless you are slowing down on purpose. its a mule.

todd

PS unloaded and driving on the highway it does 12-13 mpg.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (vtecvoodoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ot: Is diesel super expensive back east? It is ridiculous out here now.</TD></TR></TABLE>

FWIW, diesel is 2.65 up here, but give it 10 minutes and it'll change.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaddMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you tow A LOT, diesel is the only way to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better be a WHOLE LOT, Matt. Toss the numbers into a spreadsheet: my calcs tell me that at a very generous 5000 miles of towing per year (most of us amateur ******* will use it significantly less than that) it'll take about 10 years to recover that cost difference in just the purchase purchase price. And, that doesn't figure in the cost of capital, interest, time value of money, difference in insurance costs (and property taxes, if applicable) over its lifetime due to the book value, and the opportunity cost of the additional money being tied up instead of being spent on the race car. Go ahead, toss the hard numbers into a spreadsheet; you'll probably find the cost difference in fuel to be around $325 towing 5000 miles.

There are some other soft costs, too, such as significantly decreased noise, especially important when you've got to back it into your driveway at midnight-thirty right past your neighbor's bedroom window, or worse leaving for the track at four-ayem. Plus, the smell of diesel fuel over a long trip (you'll almost invariably spill some on yourself and/or get it all over the soles of your shoes while refueling) is particularly annoying.

You and I have tossed this argument around in other forums. I'll always agree that the PSD can be a better truck as a no-holds-barred money-no-object tow vehicle, especially if you spend the money to mod it. My buddy has a BEAUTIFUL brand new F350 crew cab PSD with all the bells and whistles and it pulls like a feakin' freight train. BUt, he paid something near $40k for it. However, for the value, especially given its sole mission is to pull a race car on the weekends - and probably at best a dozen weekends per year - it's hard to justify the additional expense of the diesel over the bargain-priced V10 (which can be had right now for pennies on the dollar because of ideas like yours; I paid $9000 for my 40,000 mile 15-passenger E350). In the end, if you're price-sensitive, the V10 is a better value for the mission.

Kinda the same argument as Craftsman versus Snap-On: if I was makin' my livin' with the tools, I'd buy the best; what I'm actually doing is playing night and weekends and Craftsman works just fine. It's a much better value for that mission.

I've owned both, I know what of I speak...but of course you're free to do as you please. Just makin' sure all the facts are out there. - GA

Modified by Greg Amy at 8:13 PM 1/9/2006
Old 01-09-2006, 04:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MaddMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And gets 1/2 the mileage while doing it. Enclosed trailer? Plan on 8mpg. At best. Powerstroke with that will get probably 13-14. I get 16 pulling my open trailer and track crap (about 6000 lbs). Intake and exhaust should get me to 18mpg while towing.

If you tow A LOT, diesel is the only way to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have pulled my 28ft enclosed trailer (total weight of rid just unde 10k lbs) with a 99V10 superduty and a 7.3L Diesel on the same trip and the milage difference between the two was less than 1.5mpg at the same speed.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even with the large-ish trailer, you don't sound like you'd be towing that heavy. So I wouldn't rule out the half ton trucks.

FWIW, I used to own a 1999 Suburban 2500 with the big block 454 and the short 4.10 rear end. It towed my open trailer, tire rack, and Integra GS-R quite well. The current Excursion blows it away altogether. Towing, with the Suburban I got 11mpg. Towing with the X, I get 14-15.

Will I make up the cost difference between the two on fuel mileage? Probably not. But there is something to be said for the peace of mind owning the best possible towing SUV anyone brings to the party. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for any other truck.

Also consider the possibility of daily driving, or even occasional driving. I get nearly 20mp in my Ford diesel. With my Chevy gasser, I was doing well to get 12mpg. If you're stuck with a tow vehicle and a dedicated racer, as I am, this becomes a factor.
Old 01-09-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (krshultz)

Consider that you are talking about 8-9 year old vehicles if you go diesel in the $14-15k range with 100-150k miles. Odds are the drivetrain is fine, with the possible exception of the transmission if an auto, but the rest of the truck will have all that wear and tear and age on it. The same money in a gasser will buy much newer and fewer miles. Figure on issues with the front end, electrical stuff, and tired interior. If you figure on keeping it for a few years and actually do some decent distance, you will be getting into the milage range where expensive stuff like the engine, trans, or even injector stuff is getting worn out. The gas truck would have the same thing happen but will cost a fraction to fix given the far greater number of them and the lower cost of motors, trans, etc.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (Mohudsolo)

I'll probably get a early 90's 7.3 250/350, because I can get one for around 5K. I'm about to start racing short track, so I'll be towing every weekend, as long as I have time to fix it during the week after I wreck it. Accoring to a lot of dirt people this will probably be one out of every three weekends. I'll probably race it, as long as I can afford it, 3 times a month at least. Race the Mustang on Ftiday/Saturday night then beat my dad in his mini or geat beat by a girl in my Z on Sunday.

So basically my tow vechile will see a good bit of towing, so the Deisel would probably pay for itself.

Oh, the '97 7.3 I drove for a couple of months working hurrican cleanup had a GVWR of 10,000 lbs. I like that truck, it was red too...Seriously though, I had all my personal gear in the truck, plug about 1500-1800lb dump trailer plus the 8000lb front-loader, so I spent some time grossed. My Uncle, in a similar truck with a similar load,and I ran 70mph...used a quarter of the front tank in 30 miles. I thought the turbo would be glowing when we stopped to refuel another of the party.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here ya go.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1480344
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (SMSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SMSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here ya go.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1480344</TD></TR></TABLE>

Here's another..
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1450775
Old 01-09-2006, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the links and info. I didn't even think about Vans, that might not be a bad idea, as I could just sleep in the van.

I don't know much about diesels, I didn't know the maintenance cost was that much higher with them.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (johng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Here's another..
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1450775
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That truck is sold. Or at least it will be Friday.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (firefighter81)

ANyone I ever knew who toweed with a Big 3 van, didn't like it.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SMSP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SMSP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ANyone I ever knew who toweed with a Big 3 van, didn't like it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You need to meet me. Having a full sized van is the best thing I ever did with my racing program. Pulls as good as a truck and has significantly more utility in numerous ways.

Unless I moved to a fiver I'd probably never buy a pickup truck as a tow vehicle, and even then I'd look first for a converted van chassis (like a mini-totor). Ironically, everyone I know that uses a van to pull race cars loves 'em. - GA
Old 01-10-2006, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tow Vehicles (ewaugh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ewaugh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll probably get a early 90's 7.3 250/350, because I can get one for around 5K.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Careful on the early 6.9/7.3 trucks: they didn't get turbocharged until mid-1993.

I used to have a non-turbo 1993 7.3L E-350; damn good truck. The 7.3 is a stout package, lots of good torque even without a turbo. It was plenty adequate for pulling my 2300-pound race car on an open deck trailer, with 1000 pounds or so of "stuff" in the back and two passengers. I even averaged 13mpg round trip to Road Atlanta from Connecticut. However, as I moved to an enclosed trailer it just didn't have the ***** needed for that kind of load.

Further, the 1993.5-1994 7.3L turbo is NOT a Powerstroke, although that's not necessarily bad; the non-electrical hydromechanical system is very reliable and easy to work on. The vans got the PSD in '95; I suspect the trucks were about the same time frame.

Do note that if you find a killer deal on one of the earlier non-turbos, it's a piece of cake to buy an aftermarket turbo kit and install it. You can get a Hypermax kit for about $1500 or so, and it really pumps up the volume, better than the stock '94/'96 7.3L turbo/PSD. Even better, it IMPROVES the fuel economy as well as the drivability. I considered turbocharging mine but decided to move to a passenger van at the same time, so it got sold and I'm guessing the new owner (Joe, you out there?) is still getting plenty of good service with it.

Things to look for in the higher-mileage trucks: ball joints, steering arms, swaybar bushings, wheel bearings, brakes, u-joints. The non-turbo and non-PSD turbo tend to wear out the injection pumps every ~125k miles, with injectors, injector lines and seals, glow plugs, and glow plug controller soon to follow. None of this is particularly hard to install, but parts can get pricey (although they are well-supplied in the aftermarket). Find a good truck that's had all this replaced recently and you'll find yourself in one that will last you a long time. - GA
Old 01-10-2006, 06:48 AM

I'm pretty happy with the 94 Suburban 1500 4x4. I bought it off a doctor who only used it to tow... it had low mileage, a brake controller, and rear airbags.

It's also useful when it snows... first time I'd ever driven a 4x4 in the snow and it was a most enjoyable experience.
... or taking a trip to Ikea with the wife.
... or transporting any number of items, it keeps whatever your moving out of the elements.
... or sleeping in the back, etc.

I only pull a 16' open trailer with a CRX and spares. Not much weight, so fits my needs fine.

The bad: paint sucks, needed to replace shocks and some drive shaft connection point thing-a-ma-bober.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Greg makes some convincing arguments for the V10.. I am in the truck market myself, and it definitely won't be a daily driver.. maybe that is the way to go to spare myself some debt..
Old 01-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Greg Amy)

http://www.sportscarpros.com/n...t.htm

That is a pretty good testimonial of sorts for a full size van. I don't have a tow vehicle but would reccomend the van. I have a minivan and have slept in it when it was too rainy to do a tent and it worked out fantastic even with two people. I'd recommend you get yourself an old work van, put whatever you want inside it and start hauling.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: (white_fly)

I think my next tow mule might be the '07 Chevy Tahoe. Stout enough to haul my 4,700 lbs on the weekends and civil enough for my wife to drive during the week.

16mpg city/21mpg hwy. 320 hp/340 tq.

Looks pretty sharp to.

http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe/2007/
Old 01-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greg Amy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You and I have tossed this argument around in other forums. I'll always agree that the PSD can be a better truck as a no-holds-barred money-no-object tow vehicle, especially if you spend the money to mod it. My buddy has a BEAUTIFUL brand new F350 crew cab PSD with all the bells and whistles and it pulls like a feakin' freight train. BUt, he paid something near $40k for it. However, for the value, especially given its sole mission is to pull a race car on the weekends - and probably at best a dozen weekends per year - it's hard to justify the additional expense of the diesel over the bargain-priced V10 (which can be had right now for pennies on the dollar because of ideas like yours; I paid $9000 for my 40,000 mile 15-passenger E350). In the end, if you're price-sensitive, the V10 is a better value for the mission.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm considering new truck. What is the tow rating for V10 Dually truck? I plan to tow a 44' gooseneck trailer with total weight of 15K lbs.

Old 01-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tow Vehicles (Andrie Hartanto)

Yeah, we've fought about this before Greg.

You do pay a premium, but you get it back at resale. In the meantime, I'm towing at 16mpg, and getting 20 otherwise. Kinda like my kitchen. If I put 10 large into new tile, countertops and cabinets, you might say I spent $10,000. I say I get $10,000 more for my house when I sell, and in the meantime, I get to use a kickass kitchen.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didn't even think about Vans, that might not be a bad idea, as I could just sleep in the van.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Vans rule. I had an 88 7.3L E350. AWESOME tow beast. For the sole purpose of towing my race car, it is better than my 01 Superduty strictly based on the fact that ALL my stuff would fit in it and stay dry and locked @ night. If it had working A/C I might not have gotten rid of it. Alas, vans make lousy trucks, and trips to Lowe's and Home Depot were interesting. Sometimes, you just need a truck.

B20 Biodiesel is $2.54 around here. I can get regular #2 across the boarder in SC for probably $.30 less. 87 octane hit $2.39 this week at all the local stations.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I considered turbocharging mine but decided to move to a passenger van at the same time, so it got sold and I'm guessing the new owner (Joe, you out there?) is still getting plenty of good service with it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah he was interested in mine but bought yours

Looks like you had done a lot of track-friendly work to the interior (shelves, etc). I can't comlain though. Mines in a good home having biodiesel experiments run on it now.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicles