Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

rigid collar

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: rigid collar

Blox just came out with a kit for $100 hmm....
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seriously, bin this idea. It's a waste of money.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

But, but, Nate!?!?! Some guy said he felt it!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:50 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dyingwish
But, but, Nate!?!?! Some guy said he felt it!
Felt what? the lighter wallet?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go for it ,there is nothing wrong with making money. When it comes to car lovers they will buy anything. If you don't do it someone else will, most likely the same people who told you it's a ridiculous idea.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Selling ice in the arctic, during a winter storm, at midnight local time.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmdohcek98
Blox just came out with a kit for $100 hmm....
Yeah I'm pissed about that! **** Blox and I hope anyone that uses their products, even a radiator bracket on their car, ends up stranded on an island with nothing to talk to but their shitty replica parts!
Old 07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its amazing how people will look at something in arrogance and dismiss it as snake oil ... the racing community has become too ****ing conservative and left its innovation long behind.

The real reason people attack this idea is because of the price and the insignificance in structure or size. What can a little puny washer do? Eh? Apparently, people have felt an amazing difference, night and day even, yet we have the "experts" and "pro's" and "racers" coming on here and flaming a product just because of the price and because their "theoretical" analysis says so because it is "common sense" ... as if you guys manufactured a car or engineered one for that matter.

I will suggest this to anyone talking **** ...

DON'T ****ING BUY IT. PERIOD.

Stop telling people how to spend their money, if they feel a difference after install, good for them ... now get lost. "Trial and error" ... the racing community has always been about that. It has never been, "oh ... racer X did it this way, so it must be." or "Oh, I race every weekend, I know what I'm talking about." People seem to think that the greatest ideas are the most complex, arrogant fools only complicate their own lives.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM
TPB
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdmjackal
People seem to think that the greatest ideas are the most complex, arrogant fools only complicate their own lives.
Didn't realize that telling people to torque their subframe bolts was overly complicating the issue. D'oh on me!!!

edit: Seems to me the OP's post states the problem to be that bolts loosen over time so why on earth would the best solution be something so involved and complicated?
Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Wow So much anger!
Should retourqing bolts ever become troublesome... Like those bolts ever work loose.
I might consider buying such a thing.
But for now...id call it snake oil.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The main purpose is to align the subframe perfectly. If your caster is off side to side it will be from a bent part, and you can narrow it down easier when one thing is centered. The bolt holes do have slop, unless you have access to an alignment rack you won't get them centered. For $100 I see it as a valuable modification. Whether it will feel like a solid welded subframe or not, I have no idea and I doubt it will. If I ever get around to installing it, I will report back and let everyone know.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

People seem to think that the greatest ideas are the most complex, arrogant fools only complicate their own lives.
+1 No need to complicate things with a so-called great/trendy idea, just retorque your subframe bolts...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Amazing what a bottle of white-out and a torque wrench can do.

If you think these work, before buying, do this:
1. lift car up in air
2. Retorque subframe bolts
3. Mark bolt alignment with white-out
4. Track/race car
5. Lift car up and review marks.

I did this exact thing, after driving over kerbing and other subframe jolting driving. No movement. all marks on bolts for torque and alignment were right where I marked them.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed however the join can still lose clamping load without the bolt head turning from bolt or mating component yield. But a quick retorque will make up for that.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FlewByU352
The main purpose is to align the subframe perfectly. If your caster is off side to side it will be from a bent part, and you can narrow it down easier when one thing is centered. The bolt holes do have slop, unless you have access to an alignment rack you won't get them centered.
Sorry, but your premise here is based on ignorance. A stamped steel part is not going to be 100% the same side to side or even part to part. That is the reality of manufacturing with that process. Manufacturing tolerances exist to allow for these variations.

Your head would probably explode if you saw the manufacturing tolerance on a subframe.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its amazing how people will look at something in arrogance and dismiss it as snake oil ... the racing community has become too ****ing conservative and left its innovation long behind.

The real reason people attack this idea is because of the price and the insignificance in structure or size. What can a little puny washer do? Eh? Apparently, people have felt an amazing difference, night and day even, yet we have the "experts" and "pro's" and "racers" coming on here and flaming a product just because of the price and because their "theoretical" analysis says so because it is "common sense" ... as if you guys manufactured a car or engineered one for that matter.

I will suggest this to anyone talking **** ...

DON'T ****ING BUY IT. PERIOD.

Stop telling people how to spend their money, if they feel a difference after install, good for them ... now get lost. "Trial and error" ... the racing community has always been about that. It has never been, "oh ... racer X did it this way, so it must be." or "Oh, I race every weekend, I know what I'm talking about." People seem to think that the greatest ideas are the most complex, arrogant fools only complicate their own lives.
Fools and their money are soon parted...
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solo-x
Fools and their money are soon parted...
Nice to meet you. My names Moses.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know what effects they truly have on a car, mainly becuase i do have more important modifications to fulfill to my car. This is a modification for racing teams with unlimited budgets. Where everything is already done that can be done, so they go and find one more thing that could be perfected.

It is my understanding that most people that buy this modification are just Spoon fan boys that want just a little more Spoon bling on their car so they can talk about while they hard park. You all know the type, "Dude i have a Spoon muffler, oil cap, radiator, and so on.". Problem is that Spoon jacks the rates of all their goods because they know suckers out there will buy it solely because it's a Spoon product. Much like going to buy a Mugen oil pan, which is nothing more than an OEM Honda oil pan with about $3.00 worth of extra steel or aluminum welded in for baffles. The same metal you can buy and weld yourself, but Mugen will charge a bazillion dollars for it. Half the time companies like Spoon and Mugen outsource to larger shops to have the product made, then they laser-etch their logo on the part and magically it goes jumps 400% in value. Those shops are too small to produce so many parts. So you're buying the name and not the part.

Yeah I'm pissed about that! **** Blox and I hope anyone that uses their products, even a radiator bracket on their car, ends up stranded on an island with nothing to talk to but their shitty replica parts!
I would look at this as a very last option to do on a car. And if Blox happens to mimic the product so be it, that's life in the corporate realm. Anyone that knocks someone for being budget minded and purchasing a quality product at a cheaper rate is a moron. Racing is about being frugal with your money so that you can spend it on more track time and consumables, such as tires and brake rotors/pads.

The racing world doesn't have time for your superiority complex! Get over yourself!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anybody installed these and they are afraid to step forward?

The Prius 1000 frames per second video makes it tempting.....
Old 07-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Originally Posted by miamirice
Has anybody installed these and they are afraid to step forward?

The Prius 1000 frames per second video makes it tempting.....
I dont think anyone has...used or admitted they did.
Looks more lik a novelty item.
Kind of like annodized radiator stays or battery tie downs.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Wai
ProFunction/GT Motoring

Originally Posted by dirty19
I dont think anyone has...used or admitted they did.
Looks more lik a novelty item.
Kind of like annodized radiator stays or battery tie downs.
Andrie Hartanto has a set going in to his TT S2000 Irene.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:10 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

We have one!
Andrie can tell us what he thinks.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I have noticed with having the subframe off is you can move the subframe side to side and front to rear about 3mm in any direction meaning you could be 6mm total off side to side if you pushed one side forward and the other back. Am I saying these are worth it? I dont know... Do I own them, no but maybe I might for the ease of centering parts and nothing more.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 621 Likes on 492 Posts

Surprised this topic is still going really.

The main purpose is to align the subframe perfectly. If your caster is off side to side it will be from a bent part, and you can narrow it down easier when one thing is centered. The bolt holes do have slop, unless you have access to an alignment rack you won't get them centered. For $100 I see it as a valuable modification. Whether it will feel like a solid welded subframe or not, I have no idea and I doubt it will. If I ever get around to installing it, I will report back and let everyone know.
Originally Posted by powerneedy
The only thing I have noticed with having the subframe off is you can move the subframe side to side and front to rear about 3mm in any direction meaning you could be 6mm total off side to side if you pushed one side forward and the other back. Am I saying these are worth it? I dont know... Do I own them, no but maybe I might for the ease of centering parts and nothing more.
That play in the subframe is a useful thing when aligning the car. At the dealer (many moons ago) we used to loosen those bolts and shift the subframe around to fix strange pulls and misaligned caster. Pretty sure the was a TSB for it on the ~98 Accords/Odysseys. Either that or we got it from a field engineer. Either way, it was a handy technique that I used a lot on several chassis to really get my alignments dialed in. I've always been a bit OCD about my alignments.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am personally saving up for the Fork press fit piston kit. The days of dealing with piston ring "slop" are over. You just interference fit the Fork Signature Series pistons in your block and you will never have to worry about annoying issues those guys with a rotating assembly encounter.

Fork - "Fighting slop in a flat brimmed hat since 2012."

Quick Reply: rigid collar