Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Quick harness question....

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick harness question....

I have a six point harness that I only use for autocross. I know that since I don't have a roll cage, this harness is dangerous for track situations. I am having a track school coming up, is it a good idea to use the regular seat belt AND JUST THE LAP BELT of the harness ? I don't want to slide around a lot on turns.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:53 PM
Wrong-Way Wang

Default Re: Quick harness question.... (davidnyc)

Just use the stock belts. Someone is very lucky to be alive today. There was a big wreck out at Summit Point @ FATT. An E36 M3 in turn 3 got crushed. There is no more roofline. He'd probably be dead right now if he was strapped in a harness.

Warren
Old 06-23-2001, 02:49 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Quick harness question.... (Warren)

David:
Yep, definitely only use the factory belts on the track unless you have a rollbar or cage. And I wouldnt use a harness on the street either.

Warren:
Whats up with Summit Point? I hear about more crashes at that track than any other. I've only driven it twice, but it didnt seem that dangerous to me.
Old 06-23-2001, 07:54 PM
Wrong-Way Wang

Default Re: Quick harness question.... (Tegsport Racing)

3 is a car eater, so is 10. If you go off in 3, it's instant gravel trap, and very little runoff, even in the gravel trap. This scares the heebeejeebies out of people, so they tend to loop the car back to the inside, where sometimes they go rocketing off the track. Car, meet Mr Tree. That or you go off slideways in 3, and roll the car

10 is the 2nd fastest turn on the course, and again any cowering from the gas pedal may result in a trip to the gravel or the tirewall.

Warren
Old 06-24-2001, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Quick harness question.... (George Knighton)

Whats up with Summit Point? I hear about more crashes at that track than any other.

FWIW, we've had quite a few off-course incidents during the HPDS yesterday. Only one involved an ITR...a Corvette lost its brakes and forced a black ITR off the track and into the gravel.

I won't mention names, 'cause I'm sure he wants to tell the story from his own point of view.
This is the reason why I haven't done any track days with my CRX. It is currently my only car and I refuse to risk going on the track without the proper safety equip. You never know what is going to happen even during a simple FATT with no true wheel to wheel, full-on racing. I want to get back to wheel to wheel. I started out as a kid in quarter midgets and racing karts. I ran a couple Micro Sprint cars later, and crewed with some Sprint cars but until the funds permit, I will just have to stay a Crosser.