Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY (krshultz)

I'm not saying the poly ones won't cause binding, but if they do, it's because the plastic isn't soft enough move on more than one axis like you said.

I think one of the few things I like about them is the fact that you don't have to mess with that tightening-at-ride-height stuff in many cases.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY (krshultz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by krshultz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

(Edit: I should mention that I had my poly bushings installed by a reputable shop, and did a nut-and-bolt about a week later and found all the popping...they just didn't know any better)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Weird.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY (superpilun)

I am not sure that the issue is not the dust covers hitting on the top of the sleeves and eliminaing down travel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superpilun &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As discussed before in various "Preload" threads, the ride height doesn't increase chance of coil binding because the springs are compressed by the car's weight and nothing else. It's not sitting at the top of the suspension travel with additional spring preload.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It depends on the spring rate, free length and the target ride height. Increasing the preload on a relatively soft and longish free length spring to get a target highish ride height, it is entirely possible to coil bind the spring because you have taken away much of the room between the coils at ride height leaving little extra room for real travel. It is possible to coil bind the spring in this way possibly even before making contact with the bump rubber. We often don't see people with coil-overs and soft springs around H-T but my comment was early on prior to our having any info about rate. That is exactly the concept of a helper spring altough not at such an extremely low rate of more likely the progressive softer or dead coils of a progressive spring.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY (CRX Lee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am not sure that the issue is not the dust covers hitting on the top of the sleeves and eliminaing down travel.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

We have a winner!!!

Went to my buddies station started to jack up the car on my friends drive on lift... look in there and the tops of the sleeves are all marred... dust covers are MANGLED...UGH...

So I took it all apart and cleaned everything up, re-installed everything, Now it's UNREAL NICE... I'm soo happy right now..

Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

I don't get why there are no instructions saying don't install the dust covers.. that's a bit rediculous IMO.

Whatever they're on now and work fine...

Here are some pics (will resize tomorrow):

Fronts as soon as they came out:

Front Sleeves after everything was apart:
[IMG]http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wMTE4NjU4MjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg[.IMG]

Rear sleeves and dust covers:

The car after everthing was done:

Here's a before for reference (It's older and my wheels are on it then but you can see it's in full 4x4 stance):
Old 01-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY (NonovUrbizniz)

prize goes to rockdude14...

but this was your response...
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just drilled them out like the koni instructions say too. I made sure that they would clear the sleeves through the full range of operation.</TD></TR></TABLE>

really?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY (Tyson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">prize goes to rockdude14...

really?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I did... instructions CLEARLY say to widen the hole in the dust covers so that's what I did...

I assembled them and moved the struts up and down... the dust covers cleared... it was tight but they cleared... obviously they bound up at some point under more aggressive movement and then it went all down hill from there.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are those the 'baby' tubes/sleeves specific to koni shocks? they dont appear to be so.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tyson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">prize goes to rockdude14...

yeah, i altered my dust covers nice and perfect, but they sometimes shift around and the eventually get in the way of the shock. though it looks like og poster's were full length? probably application specific, but i remember seeing instruction to cut mine in half.

anyway, all's well that ends well.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY (bad-monkey)

Yeah I don't know all I got in my box from GC was the springs, perch insulators, sleeves, wrench, and stickers.

I'm frankly not sure on the GC's...

They have some little black insert at the bottome that snugs the sleeves to the shock body... so not sure if that is the one specific for koni or not...

I don't really care at this point it's in, it's fine, I'm happy.

Thanks again for everyone's input again it's really appreciatted.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
They have some little black insert at the bottome that snugs the sleeves to the shock body... so not sure if that is the one specific for koni or not...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah those are the koni specific ones. They have two different types. The type you got that a black adapter fits flush against the shock and a second kind where the metal sleeve fits against the shock.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I did... instructions CLEARLY say to widen the hole in the dust covers so that's what I did...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is from the Koni instructions based a normal installation using the Koni supplied spring perches in a typical mode which you did not use. When you adapt the use of part from it's intended installation or use to go with some other aftermarket part, the installer needs to be heads-up and make any necessary changes.

Glad you got it solved and it was an easy wix without causing an critical damage to new parts.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya i did the same thing
cant rember what the instructions said

but i ordered 600/600 springs
and i backed it up from the garage over that little drop onto the driveway

and expletive did that hurt
and i thought oh **** 600/600 is way tooo stiff
but i found that the dusk covers had to be complelt removed and its great
i absolutly love 600/600 even with daily driving
Old 01-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Installed GC/Koni Yellows WAY BOUNCY (rockdude14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rockdude14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ya i did the same thing
cant rember what the instructions said

but i ordered 600/600 springs
and i backed it up from the garage over that little drop onto the driveway

and expletive did that hurt
and i thought oh **** 600/600 is way tooo stiff
but i found that the dusk covers had to be complelt removed and its great
i absolutly love 600/600 even with daily driving</TD></TR></TABLE>

The EXACT same thing happened to me... I backed the car out and was like...
OH ****...

I was thinking I got sent someone's auto-xing springs.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hell ever 1000 lb in road race springs are softer
than 0 suspension movement
Old 01-24-2006, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rockdude14)

If I remeber correctly the instructions from GC say to cut the dust boots in half.

John
Old 01-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah I don't know all I got in my box from GC was the springs, perch insulators, sleeves, wrench, and stickers.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

have since talked to the retailer and he said they drop ship straight from GC.

He also said they often don't include instructions.