Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be?

I was just flipping through the back of the latest SportsCar checking out the classifieds. After wiping the drool off my chin I started thinking of what class I'd have the most fun in. I'd love to run enduros, which would pretty much limit the choice to IT/SPO/SS or SRF, but I'm equally interested in chassis and suspension development. I think I'd go for DSR with a nod to Formula Atlantic for pure speed. DSR seems to be one of the few classes left where back-yard engineers still have leeway and can compete on a relatively limited budget with a little creativity.

Unlimited budget, anything goes would have to be IMSA GTP/GroupC/ALMS or whatever the prototype sports car class goes by at the time. Awesome development engineering, great tracks and races, and lots of endurance and night racing. I grew up watching the Miami GP, Sebring, and Daytona with 917s, Silk Cut Jags, Nissans, and Mazdas.
Old 06-19-2001, 08:37 PM
New User

Default Re: If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be? (GSRMatt)

If you can afford it, you can't go wrong with a SRF. Once you shell out the $18-22K it takes to buy a really good one, you're set. You only need to change the rotors and pads once a season! You are also guaranteed to be 98% competitive even with a 5 yr old engine.

However, if money is not available in large quantities, IT (or SM) is the way to go. Here you can race for the least amount of money, but you also have plenty of opportunities to spend it if willing.
Old 06-19-2001, 09:27 PM

Default Re: If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be? (GSRMatt)

Two years ago I had my regional license, a pile of cash and no racecar. With the perfect opportunity to try any class I wanted, I looked at a bunch of different classes. I kept coming back to IT. I like tin-top racing and IT had what I felt was the perfect mix of modifications, competition and cost.

Showroom Stock looked boring. I'm sure it's not but, as an outsider, it doesn't look like the cars handle well and there are too many politics. GT and Prod required too much maintenance for my taste. I want to go to the track to race, not work on my car all weekend. Many of the open wheel cars fell into the same category although Formula Mazda looked fun.

I took a very serious look at Pro Rally but decided to do IT because of the logistics. The logistics to run a rally event were a lot more involved than IT. Pro Rally is still number 2 on my lifes "to do" list though!

At Waterford, there is a guy running a Formula Honda from England. The class is big over there. The car is somewhere between a Formula Vee and a Formula Ford in size but it has a CBR600 (his has a CBR900) motor and gearbox in it. The thing is faster than stink and it sounds awesome! If that class took off over here, I'd be very interested.

Scott
Old 06-20-2001, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

You've probably seen this site: http://pub6.ezboard.com/bdsrforum . Take a look at the Stohr car that's coming along.

A friend of mine just bought a Ralt RT-4 (or 5 - can't remember) with a ton of spares for 17K. It'll have to be gone thru but that's an incredible speed / dollars.

Both DSR and FSV(W/C) / FA are fast. The aero factor adds a layer of complexity to chassis setup that intimidates me. I also keep telling myself that I'd rather go slower inside a full cage tin top.

Scott, who'd actually drive just about anything at this point.......

Old 06-20-2001, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be? (RR98ITR)

Nope, hadn't seen that board. Looks cool though, new bookmark. Frankly I'm at least a few years away from having the kind of money I'd need to do what I'd want.

My favorite quote on the site: "[We're] seeking to grow DSR. The best way to grow the class is to attract those who like to tinker so
much they are willing to lose just for the thrill of participating."
Old 06-20-2001, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

E-Production looks like fun. A nice 1st or 2nd gen RX-7 can be built for $30k and be relatively reliable. Around 200hp and 2300lbs with real slicks.

I'd love to give DSR a try, but my fabricating abilities would need improvement.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:34 AM
New User

Default Re: If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be? (Crack Monkey)

You need to write Speedsource a check for $40K for them to build you one of their "top" ITS 2nd gen RX7s. It would take at least that much to build a decent EP car. The problem with Production classes is that since you are running such high compression motors, you need to rebuild them at least once a season. The top guys are doing this 2 to 3 times a year. Not to mention, the more you push an engine's capabilities with higher compression, pistons, etc, they are much more prone to have problems. I believe EP is for those who have the funds to run a top ITS car, but are also interested in running the Runoffs.

As hard as it is to believe showroom stock is very expensive. First of all you need to a 4 yr old or newer car, I believe. So if you have a '99 model car, you can only race it for 2 more years. Second of all, you are stuck with a lot of stock parts that are not made for racing, which require to be constantly replaced after every race. Third of all, the guys at the Runoffs in SSC or SSB are making easily about 10-15 more horsepower than their stock counterpart sitting at the dealer. This is because all fast SS cars have their engines rebuilt and measured right up to the maximum allowable limits. It costs about $5000 to have a B16 Civic Si motor built for SSC spec, as an example.

Racing is unbelievably expensive and there is no way stopping the "other guy" from unloading his huge fortunes into prepping his/her racecar. This exists in all racing series out there to one extent or another. But that's ok since it makes everybody else try a little harder!
Old 06-20-2001, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be? (RacerJon)

Also, another EP option is the Caterham 7. It runs a factory Ford Zetec engine. Since it isn't tweaked at all, it should last a long time.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:26 AM

Default Re: If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be? (RacerJon)

PS- Cobetto's car is ~220hp and ~2100 pounds dry. 1:24's at Summit and 2:14's at VIR full, baby!
Didn't Chris' car cost under $30K to complete? Zip ties and racer's tape can't be that expensive.
Old 06-20-2001, 10:29 AM
New User

Default Re: If you could run one SCCA club racing class what would it be...

It would have to be Formula Atlantic or the older Formula Super Vee (faster and more powerful than the Formula Atlantics). Once you drive a Formula Atlantic...you'll understand why....