Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Flywheels, what can I expect?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheels, what can I expect?

I did a search on this topic but couldn't really find the info that I need.

I'm currently running in Street Prepared because I have Tein coilovers. I had the Teins before I got into solo2. Since my clutch is about to go I'm planning to get an aftermarket clutch and flywheel combo. My question is what can I expect in terms of time will I be able to shed with a flywheel and clutch combo?

Since I'm a rookie and because of the class I am in I'm not competitive at all (also besides the coilovers I only have an I/H/E in my 99 EX). Would it be better to just sell my teins and buy koni and lower springs to run in STS or STX and just get a factory clutch to replace the one I have currently?

I'm still in the learning process so any opinions and information is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-31-2003, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (SuperRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuperRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Since I'm a rookie and because of the class I am in I'm not competitive at all (also besides the coilovers I only have an I/H/E in my 99 EX). Would it be better to just sell my teins and buy koni and lower springs to run in STS or STX and just get a factory clutch to replace the one I have currently?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This sounds like the best idea right here. You'll be able to compete with cars you should be competing with, and you'll save a lot of money since you won't need to modify your car just to have a chance. A better clutch and lighter flywheel won't mkae a difference at this point since you're still learning how to drive; go to STS/STX and focus on your driving.

PS...Coilovers aren't allowed in STS? I'm not up on STS rules, but this sounds odd to me.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:59 AM

Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (Aron Parsons)

Thanx Aron for your input.

Can someone please tell me how much a flywheel and clutch will help if I chose to stay in SP? (I just figured it might be more expensive if I were to sell my Tein (lose money on them) and then having to buy konis and new springs.

I am also thinking of investing is an anti-roll bar if I stay in SP. I know that this isn't exactly the best way to get into solo2 but I guess I kinda screwed myself over from the start by going with the Tein.

Oh I'm also running the Azenis, damn I love these tires.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a rulebook. when you do, you will find that your tein's are 100% legal for sts. a flywheel and clutch won't make any noticeable time differences for your situation. your intake header and exhaust are all legal for sts as well. an aftermarket clutch and flywheel are _not_ legal for sts.

i would recommend replacing your clutch with a factory unit and leaving the car alone. there is much more time to be found in improving the driver. but whatever you do, before you spend money, BUY A RULE BOOK! you'll be much happier in the long run.

nate

ps. this subject has been covered many times and even has a spot in the forum sticky. there are also usually general rules on your clubs website too. you can ask experienced competitors at your events as well and they'll be able to help too.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (solo-x)

If the Teins are threaded body shocks like I think they are, they are not legal in SP but are in STS. It sounds like you already have a STS car so don't buy stuff that will put you in SP. The STS rules aren't that long, borrow a copy and read them and if possible copy them too if you aren't going to buy a rulebook. Most people at events are willing to answer questions if asked and will help out new people.
Old 06-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (Mohudsolo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mohudsolo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the Teins are threaded body shocks like I think they are, they are not legal in SP...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong, they are also legal for SP...

My $.02, keep the Teins, get an OEM-type clutch and run in STS. If you start wanting more, then get an LSD and some R-compund tires and then make the move to SP. Without the LSD you will be hurting in SP.

Good luck,

Mike
Old 06-02-2003, 12:24 AM

We actually I should have mentioned that I'm from Calgary Canada. Up here we actually don't have STS or STX. We have the following classes: Stock, Super Stock, Street Prepared and Modified.

Because of my "threaded sleeves" I am automatically put into SP even if I don't have anything done to my car. Stupid rule in IMO but I guess I have to play by the rules.

Anyways, the reason why I am asking about this is because if I sell my TEIN and buy koni and springs I can run in Super Stock without a problem. However, I don't really know if that is the best thing to do.

If I decide to run in SP then I am planning to invest in some anti-roll bars, clutch and flywheel. I don't know anyone with a flywheel so I really don't know that benefits of actually having one, especially in running solo2. Can you guys shed some light on this.

I just want to know what are the benefits of having a flywheel in solo2. I know this is not the way to start in solo, but I guess I basically screwed myself over with the set up of my car. I guess I'll just have to make the best of it.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:07 AM
Trial User

SP without an LSD will be very difficult. The flywheel will help very little: the LSD will help a LOT.

Mike
Old 06-02-2003, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (RacerMike)

i think the first problem is that you're from canada.

what mike said.

nate
Old 06-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (solo-x)

maybe not so much he is FROM there.. just that he LIVES there, although the strip clubs in Montreal are about the best I have EVER seen
Old 06-02-2003, 06:48 PM
New User

Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (Mohudsolo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mohudsolo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If the Teins are threaded body shocks like I think they are, they are not legal in SP but are in STS. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe youre thinking of stock rules. The spring perch needs to be fixed, and at stock ride height. Which is why the Koni Yellows are legal for stock if you leave then in the "stock" position.

SuperRice, what I would do is continue to compete in STS. In my region its a super competitive class with lots of drivers, which is a good thing, its not fun runnning by yourself! All of us were new at some point, and Ill bet most, if not all of us werent competitive at first. I know I wasnt. During my first season, I either placed last in my class (G Stock), or 1-2 positions higher than that. Second season, in a new car (the Prelude), still in G Stock, the first few events I was mid pack out of 8 cars, near the end of the season at just about every event I was in the top three. Last season I was consistantly in the top three (just in DSP), and came in first one event.

For most of us, its just not going to be an overnight thing. What helped me the most is seat time: running every event I could (points, fun events, test and tunes) and taking driving schools. Just dont make a common mistake of just giving up because you didnt kick everyones' ***. Just get all the seat time you can, talk to other drivers who do well (even let them drive your car to see what they do), and remember, this is supposed to be fun, so have a good time while your doing it!
Old 06-02-2003, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (nighttime)

Something said above always made me laugh when I autocrossed. Rules are "stupid" when they hurt us but 'very, very important for fairness (or whatever)' when they help us.
-Adam
Old 06-06-2003, 11:04 AM

Default Re: Flywheels, what can I expect? (mityVR6)

Thanx for all the suggestions. I appreciate all your help.

As for living in Canada, it's okay. I've never lived anywhere else so I have nothing to compare it to. This maybe good, maybe bad.