Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

whats the difference between a clutch with springs and one with out.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the difference between a clutch with springs and one with out.

would like to know... bought a six puck springless clutch because i was told it was better.

also i have an aluminum flywheel.
Old 09-20-2008, 02:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the difference between a clutch with springs and one with out. (unsungfate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by unsungfate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would like to know... bought a six puck springless clutch because i was told it was better.

also i have an aluminum flywheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a sprung 6 puck with aluminum flywheel and the engagement is not smooth. It shudders and shakes when you don't have the rpms high or have too much friction releasing the pedal.
so a springless clutch should be worse.
Old 09-20-2008, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^i agree the springless one is going to rough not that gread for a DD
Old 09-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Default Re: whats the difference between a clutch with springs and one with out. (unsungfate)

springless = no smooth engagement, good 4 racing where clutch popping is recommended.
sprung = smoother engagment, good 4 daily driver where cp is not.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: whats the difference between a clutch with springs and one with out. (chickenwing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chickenwing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have a sprung 6 puck with aluminum flywheel and the engagement is not smooth. It shudders and shakes when you don't have the rpms high or have too much friction releasing the pedal.
so a springless clutch should be worse.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really??? hu now i know why my car did that i had the stage 2 exedy with 10lbs flywheel and thats what my car did, i would have to let go at like 2500 rpms.. any sudgestions on what clutches are good??
Old 09-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the difference between a clutch with springs and one with out. (VTECROAR96typeR)

^^most company's are good. for a street car, get a street setup. a disk that is sprung with a full face. a good pressure plate is key. it's about the clamping force it gives. pucks do not last at all for daily driving. there is no life on them
Old 09-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the difference between a clutch with springs and one with out. (Brick Top)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brick Top &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^most company's are good. for a street car, get a street setup. a disk that is sprung with a full face. a good pressure plate is key. it's about the clamping force it gives. pucks do not last at all for daily driving. there is no life on them </TD></TR></TABLE>

If was not going to boost my ride i would have went with a full face hd clutch.
but unfortunately i would need the extra clamping force
Old 09-21-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the difference between a clutch with springs and one with out. (chickenwing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chickenwing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">unfortunately i would need the extra clamping force</TD></TR></TABLE>

puck disks do help but it is not completely necessary. RPS clutches sell kits rated to hold over 600whp, and they are using full face sprung disks. it's their pressure plates that hold the power. i've had my RPS for 4 years now.