Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (Yes, I searched)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (Yes, I searched)

Yeah, I searched, and saw tons of posts by people who said the Phantom Grip sucked. Curiously, most such comments seem to based on second- or third-hand reports.

I would love to hear firsthand feedback from folks who have done some roadracing or autocrossing with a PG, AND have set them up properly (machined spiders and the stiffer springs). I've seen a couple positive posts for them at improvedtouring.com and a few non-Honda rally guys who are happy with it.

Thanks,

GP
Old 11-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (gpteitz)

We've had this discussion before multiple times. You won't find any compelling argument to use it.

There are, however, quite a few people who are happy with the OPM differential modification, which can be described as a more complete version of the phantom grip.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (JeffS)

I've driven an ITA crx with a Phantom Grip *style* LSD and I LOVED it. I thought it worked great. Tons of lockup when you need it. From what I hear the Quaife is only 30-35% lockup which isn't really enough. I wonder if there is some way to "preload" the Quaife prior to installation to increase it's lockup.

I wouldn't recommend it because normally it institutes housing modifications in order for it fit and work right.

I am going to consider either a clutch style LSD or the new OBX lsd (looks like a Quaife but 500$ cheaper). The clutch styel LSD's are good for about 3-4 seasons (opinions will vary) and the gear style (quaife, OBX) offer LIFETIME warranties.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (rice_classic)

Is this going in a race car?

FWIW, mine slips like a *****.

OMP for the new trans.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (bulldog_RS20)

My first hand PG experience has been on a street car that did numerous open track events and some autocrosses. I did no machining of spider gears as there was never any recommendation to do so (at the time at least). This thread is the first I have heard of it doing other things. I did a lapping day within a week of installing the PG and definatley it had an effect as I specifically noted that one tricky, hard-to-master off camber sweeper became nearly a power on, non-issue. But soon after that event I became aware the the benefits started fading quickly and soon on the street the car would easily spin a wheel under light power at a traffic light or stop sign. In the wet, it would spin with the faintest power addition no matter how soft I tried.

Now I am 30,000 miles into my PG and I would doubt there was been any active contribution from it in the last 20,000+ miles and no one would ever know it was not technically an open diff. On the other hand, after 30,000 miles it has not damaged my tranny either.

I have an OPM LSD in the racecar and a Mugen LSD on the shelf when the next race tranny goes together. The PG costs very little and from my experience I would say you'd be lucky to get what you paid for.

Edit- fixed my misleading typo.

Modified by CRX Lee at 2:01 AM 11/13/2004
Old 11-12-2004, 09:03 AM
rpr

Default Re: Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (CRX Lee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On the other hand, after 30,000 miles it has damaged my tranny either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

has or has not damaged your tranny?
Old 11-12-2004, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (rpr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rpr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

has or has not damaged your tranny? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Has NOT damaged my tranny. Sorry about the typo. 'Cuppla letter missing and the whole thing changes. Tranny is solid, just a Full Slip Diff now.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Firsthand, objective Phantom Grip feedback (CRX Lee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Lee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My first hand PG experience has been on a street car that did numerous open track events and some autocrosses. I did no machining of spider gears as there was never any recommendation to do so (at the time at least). This thread is the first I have heard of it doing other things. I did a lapping day within a week of installing the PG and definatley it had an effect as I specifically noted that one tricky, hard-to-master off camber sweeper became nearly a power on, non-issue. But soon after that event I became aware the the benefits started fading quickly and soon on the street the car would easily spin a wheel under light power at a traffic light or stop sign. In the wet, it would spin with the faintest power addition no matter how soft I tried.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty much Identical to my experiance (also w/ stock springs and no machining)