Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

First timmer....need HC info

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (r2x)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xhaven1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i have already put a decent amount of money into the car....relatively....and if i abandon it wouldn't that be a complete waste of time and money? besides can't you use a stock car on some of the HPDE events? I have a 00 SI-R so i figure i can use that to get some of the lessons etc. under my belt....also I figure i will learn more if i build my own...but i get your point...just seems like a crappy deal for me...plus i'm running out of garage and driveway space lol..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

By scrapping your build now (not totally scrapping it but just selling it off) and just buying a built race car you will be saving money in the end. Big time. For what you already have and what it's worth, you could sell it all and probably take that money and buy a turn key race car. Once your car is a caged race car, it's going to be worth a lot less than it is now. And if you buy a turn key race car then you have a complete car that's ready to race, right now!

Since you're up here in MA, I would look into racing with SCCA instead of HC. You could still race HC, but I would buy a car that could race in both. While an H1 car could race in SCCA, it would be in ITE which is a catch all class and not that fun to run in. I would buy an H4 car that's classed in SCCA's ITA class. So that would be a CRX, 88-91 Civic, 92-95 Civic EX/Si, and 96-98 Civic EX. The CRX's and EF Civic's are going to be easier to find since they've been around longer more people have built cars out of them.

This car is forsale locally --&gt; https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1521907

He's a friend of mine and it is stored at our race team's garage. You wouldn't even be able to finish your build for the cost of this car and could probably pay for it if you sold off what's you've got right now. And you could be in it for this April's HPDE days around here. My advice is check out the NER Region's SCCA website ( http://www.ner.org ) and show up at the Regional race weekends ( http://www.ner.org/RR1/06/06schedule.htm ) and talk to people and just see what these people have for setups and you'll quickly see what I mean about how much this is gonna cost.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by r2x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If he's in MA, nothing comes to life up here until April. And unfortunately HPDE type events are not nearly as prolific as they are down south. I hear that NASA Northeast has joined up with a group called PDA. Perhaps that will increase the number of dates.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree there may not be as many as down south. But once April starts, I can pretty much find an HPDE day every week til September. I'm usually limited by the time I can take to get to them then I am by the number of events I can find. There's plenty to choose from. PLENTY!

steve

Old 03-07-2006, 08:47 AM
r2x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (stevel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stevel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree there may not be as many as down south. But once April starts, I can pretty much find an HPDE day every week til September. I'm usually limited by the time I can take to get to them then I am by the number of events I can find. There's plenty to choose from. PLENTY!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking availibility on the weekends. Any given weekend down south, you can run at least 1 track for an HPDE, and often have 2 or 3 to choose from. Around here, it's often weekdays that require time off from work. More of an education for our friends in NC/VA than anything else. The OP can't go out on any given weekend between Feb and Nov and have his choice of HPDE events at multiple tracks. There are HPDE events, but you have to look a bit harder for them.

Here are some links I know of to HPDEs up here:

COM: http://www.comscc.org/schedule.htm
SCDA: http://www.scda1.com/schedule/
NASA: http://www.nasanortheast.org/schedule.htm

Steve already gave you the SCCA schedule link for the road racing.

Good luck. If you end up at an SCCA event, feel free to introduce yourself. SSM 49, bright yellow miata. Usually in the north garages at NHIS.

Diane
Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To save money, just finish your car as fast as you can and start doing HPDE. By then you will know more and decide what best for you.

If you decide to go back to stock engine, you can sell it then. If you have money and decide to modify it more to the extent of H1 rule, welcome!

I have never understand about asking an advice in public forum anyway. You don't know anyone. And there is no way to verify their ligitemacy. There are always a bunch of pseudo expert without real expertise on the matter giving advice.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:46 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (Andrie Hartanto)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andrie Hartanto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> There are always a bunch of pseudo expert without real expertise on the matter giving advice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I dont think that is the case here
Old 03-07-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Re: (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so...please bring your car out!!! do your 4 hpde events then your comp school then come race PLEASE!!!

i will look forward to lapping you!!!

have a nice day!!

you asked what needed to be done....i told you....yeah i'm an *** sometimes....

the truth hurts, and i gave it to you! you gotta have SEAT TIME SEAT TIME SEAT TIME!!!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok man uhh...fine are you mad? I was just saying there are more constructive ways to tell me information...for one you know nothing about my knowledge of cars...i have never been on the track but that doesn't mean i'm ignorant about performance or someone who thinks stickers add 20hp...i'm sure your comments stem from the fact that you have alot of people who swap an engine and think that makes them a track star...i'm not one of those people...as for me not listening to you: i have no doubt in my mind that you are better than me and I value your advice...I just don't see why you have to make such blind generlizations...I know i have to have A LOT of track time but i'm currently in school during the week mon-thurs (full time student just in case you were wondering...i worked it out so i get a 3 day weekend). And like some other posts say there is not much up here when it's 22 degrees outside. I have spring break coming up so i'll make my first attempts then and work from there...

and that's that time for more research...thanks for all your imput!!

And i look forward to you lappng me too! (if we end up in the same class)
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (Xhaven1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xhaven1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for one you know nothing about my knowledge of cars...i have never been on the track but that doesn't mean i'm ignorant about performance or someone who thinks stickers add 20hp...i'm sure your comments stem from the fact that you have alot of people who swap an engine and think that makes them a track star...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Chad (or anyone else) never said, or inferred that. In fact, I think this thread has produced a lot of helpful suggestions, and I think you are absorbing and listening very well - but dont make any ***-u-me-ptions, and if you are not sure what someone meant then ask a question or send a PM about it rather than blowing up. We're all here to help, and we want you go get on track and have a good time - so relax
Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 AM

Default Re: (George Knighton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by George Knighton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get into the schools. Sign up. Now.

You're keeping the discussion going as a vicarious substitute for actually being out there...you just need to get out there and make sure it's what you really want to be doing!</TD></TR></TABLE>

good point! and that's what i'll do as soon as possible!