Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Extended Top Hats

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 06:13 PM
"Haters Gonna Hate"

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ryan12321)

How is the underhood clearence with the GC mounts? Has anyone ever had the mount or the the top of the shock come into contact with the hood?
Old 04-29-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will let yall know what I hear from the SCCA on these.

Has anyone done a write up on building these?

Kerry
Old 04-29-2004, 07:59 PM

Default Re: (MAYHEM)

from how I see this working out, raising the piston mounting point will only increase suspension travel on cars running shorter springs, correct? I can't see how this would benefit cars running stock length springs unless you guys are running soft spring rates and are compressing them till bumpstop meets shock body. I need to be enlightened on this, sounds like a great idea for the already underdampened rear suspension system of the s2000.
Old 04-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since the top hat is bolted to the chassis, its legal. The suspension is totally free. You simply cannot alter the points at which the various suspension components attach the the frame/subframe/unibody.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is for SM only. I don't know about other classes.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:03 PM

Default Re: (ryan12321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryan12321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats how I view it too. It is illegal in STS somehow. Not sure about SM. That why I got more shock travel how I posted above. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure this is illegal in STS?

"17.5.B. Any shock absorbers may be used, provided they attach to the original mounting points."

what do they consider mounting points, the shock tower or the top hats?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Re: (Autoxjoe)

considering you can use a full coilover kit that comes with its own top hat mount, its pretty obvious the "stock mounting points" are to the chassis. theres nothing illegal about the top hats, and if it is, they need to rephrase the rule more clearly.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:01 PM

Default Re: (Autoxjoe)

They are specifically illegal in STS/STX and specifically legal in SP and SM FOR CARS THAT AREN'T MACPHERSON STRUT. The rules never say you can use a complete coilover kit, they say you can use any shock and threaded spring perches. I agree it's stupid to disallow it in ST.

The upper shock mounts, if extended, technically change a pickup point for the suspension since the shock is mounted directly to the point that is moved upwards away from the rest of the suspension, or at least that's the argument behind them not being allowed. Pretty retarded since the McStrut cars can do whatever they want.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:06 AM
New User

Default Re: (vapor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vapor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from how I see this working out, raising the piston mounting point will only increase suspension travel on cars running shorter springs, correct? I can't see how this would benefit cars running stock length springs unless you guys are running soft spring rates and are compressing them till bumpstop meets shock body.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is correct. On stock height springs, or properly shortened stroke shocks using shorter springs, there is no benefit
Old 04-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Extended Top Hats (Jaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You are ****, aren't you!</TD></TR></TABLE>

EXTREMELY **** when it comes to autorepair and fabrication.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Re: (Chris Sawatsky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris Sawatsky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that is correct. On stock height springs, or properly shortened stroke shocks using shorter springs, there is no benefit</TD></TR></TABLE>

not only would there be no benefit but risk of "toping" out the shock and sudden changes in rebound could result. (opposite of bottoming out the shock)
Old 04-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is the answer from the SCCA.

Thanks
Kerry

Normally Doug Gill, the Solo Tech Manager, would answer these kinds of questions, but Doug is at an event this weekend so I will try to take a shot at it.

In SM the critical thing is that the suspension components are ultimately bolted to the car’s structure in the original location, that is, the load bearing point on the car remains the same. From what I can tell from the picture, this appears to be the case with these top hats. The load bearing point is the same, but the shock shaft extends up higher. If this is the case, you should be OK using them in SM.

Doug (dgill@scca.com) will be back in the office on Tuesday if you have further questions.

I hope this helps.

Howard Duncan

V.P. of Program Development and Operations

1-800-770-2055

Fax 785-232-7228