Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

DIY front strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY front strut bar (hybridvteceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybridvteceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow you got OWNED. those are some big words. </TD></TR></TABLE>

what a useless post. You don't know what johnny mac are even talking about, yet you stand behind one side and yap your mouth about getting owned. Just shut up.

Much like my post right now, you are interrupting another good thread.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIY front strut bar (Chris N)

actually i do know what he was talking about
Old 04-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chris N &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You don't know what johnny mac are even talking about </TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your grammar supposed to help advance the tech?

I know exactly what a bending moment is. The problem with the Neuspeed bar is that unlike the original Acura bar (or the Mugen bar), it is acting in bending, and is thus very weak in comparison with a bar acting in tension or compression. Just picture putting the Neuspeed bar in a very wide vise. It will be very easy to make the two ends come together. Now place a straight tube in the vise and try to compress it. the straight tube will be vastly stronger. If you like I can provide the equations to show the relative strenghts, but I think a simple experiment with a coat hanger bent to shape might help you underatand why the Neuspeed is a poor design.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY front strut bar (descartesfool)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by descartesfool &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is your grammar supposed to help advance the tech? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha, Thanks.

Actually, I find it quite rude that someone would jump in a tech discussion to simply say 'OWNED'. Especially when it obviously was not an argument, rather a discussion aimed at sharing good (and correct) information.

Then again, what do I know. I'm interrupting to talk about etiquette, and interrupting is no good at all.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:41 PM

well if you looked up i did contribute before my 'rude' comment. seriously. rude on the internet. are you kidding me?
Old 04-29-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: DIY front strut bar (DIYaccord)

So, did i design my rear one correctly?

i'll look into making an ITR style bar...
Old 04-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIYaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, did i design my rear one correctly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That looks great. The brackets are flat which is the most important thing.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY front strut bar (sackdz)

how about this one? I know I know the mounts arent the best design but I just flipped over some of the rear mount brackets I had lying around and built from that.

Ben
Old 04-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY front strut bar (descartesfool)

That is one cool system. Did you buy yours directly from Britain or did you find a stateside source?
Old 04-30-2004, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY front strut bar (Johnny Mac)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DIYaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, did i design my rear one correctly?
...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think your rear bar looks quite good. I would have considered a slightly larger diameter tube, as the beam strength goes up very quickly as a function of the thickness. For a front bar, also have a look at the Mugen design which I think is very good:

Here is how Realtime stiffened their rear part of the chassis with a tube directly between the roll cage near the shock towers. Notice the stock ITR rear stiffener at the back as well. It would not be obvious to most people that a monocoque would need stiffening there, but Honda thought so!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Johnny Mac &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is one cool system. Did you buy yours directly from Britain or did you find a stateside source?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was one of the "early adopters" of that system. I bought it in 2002. I ordered from England but it was shipped stateside. They now have a new distributor in US that has been very good in answering questions. I just upgraded to a high res. GPS antenna. Software started out very bare bones, but is getting better. Not what you would get with a Motec or a Pi system, but usable for sure, and vastly cheaper.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:01 AM

Well I am trying to design and manufacture a strut tower bar for the front of my vehicle as well. Not sure if this is completely relevent to all of the hard core language you guys are using in relation to the correct effectiveness of chassis enhancement using strut towers but here is a good thread on a diy 3pt strut tower build:

https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

Here's some pics on two people's builds:

Old 05-31-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Re: DIY front strut bar (InfamousDC2FI)

Delsol- hello again; that software is awesome bang for the buck factor! I will have to look into getting myself one of these units in the next few months... As for strut bar designs, I personally have always "heard" that circular tubing is better for distributing weight more evenly. I see Mugen (a company I myself don't really like after the new owners) uses a rectangular square tube design. Realtime used circular, Honda used circular- from what I've seen every F1 team uses circular... Hmm- looks like we won't be able to tell uneless someone springs for that data aquasition