Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

CRX EE8 in Italy.. EDM help please

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX EE8 in Italy.. EDM help please

It's been a few years since i did much work on my cars, just got my extension paperwork so now I can bring my EE8 CRX back with me from Italy. I figured that since I will be able to now, I'll start playing with her again. I could use some help though, I haven't kept up on parts and companies a whole lot the past couple years.

The tracks over here are mostly Formula 3 style tracks, generally big enough for bikes to have fun on and some smaller cars like mine that rev high quick. I want to be able to go and have fun on those tracks, but she will be driven mostly on open roads and in the mountains, so I have to balance that a little and not go RT only. I apologize in advance for the long post..

Setup:

91 CRX EE8
B16a1
OBD-0 to OBD-1 conversion
Chipped on Crome
t3/t4 turbo kit @ 10psi
Wiseco pistons
ESP rods
Cometic HG
Cometic IM gasket
ARP head studs
NGK plugs and wires
DSM 440 injectors
AEM rail/FPR
Blox IM
Omni-power 68mm TB
ACL main/rod/thrust bearings
Half-rad
Cheap racing seats
Password JDM rear tower bar
Drag DR-21's w/Nitto Neo-Gen 205/15's
Megan Racing 32-way shocks
Ebay EM w/custom fabbed DP & cat delete
Megan catback exhaust
Mobil-1 syn

Currently being installed:
Supertech valvetrain
Darton sleeves @ 82mm
Hondata S300 v3
New engine gasket kit
New ACL bearings
Hi-perf oil pump
Walbro 255lph pump

New stuff to be ordered:
Radiator
Turbo/WG/BOV
Seats w/harness
Rotors & pads
1000cc injectors

Questions:
I'm looking for a radiator that will stand up in the engine bay and not lean. First answer I'll get is EG rad. Will it be enough to keep my engine cool based on my projected setup and purpose? If not, is there a custom one I can get instead?

Also, (ties in to the previous question) I haven't installed a traction bar because when i went to swap my motor mounts, I discovered that no one seems to have EDM aftermarket mounts. I don't want to get a traction bar if I can't find one that will work in my EDM CRX & with my mounts. Does anyone make traction bars for EDM's?

And speaking of mounts.., does anyone make mounts for the EDM B16?? I called Innovative directly and spoke to their "tech" who swore to me that their RHD mounts would fit, even though the car is LHD. He said they just call them RHD because of the Honda fan boy fad and that it would fit. I bought them and they don't fit :/

Does anyone have a decent set of fender braces for sale? Or does anyone have the specs for the braces so I can fab my own?

Apologies for all the random questions, like I said, it's been a while. Not to mention this is my first B series.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CRX EE8 in Italy.. EDM help please

Unless you've got to do the traction bar for the clearance, just swap in Kingpin Machine spherical Radius Rod Bearings. They'll do the same thing you're trying to accomplish with the traction bars (reduce deflection).

Only idea I have on the engine mounts would be to fill in the stock ones with something like Window Weld...

No clue on the fender braces or even if they actually work.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome, thanks for the info on the radius bars. I could use a little extra clearance tbh, had to fab the DP because I ordered two of them and neither would fit. Yeah, I thought about doing a solid mount but the engine is out of the car and torn apart so I have time to keep looking. My build is over on crxcommunity and those guys swear by the fender braces. From everything I can find, they seem to help. I'm not going bar crazy, just looking for a little extra stability in these mountains. Once she's all done, her and I have a date with Stelvio Pass
Old 12-22-2014, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had 6 different EF's and never felt like there was a need or justification for fender braces. I'll admit that at some unknown point you could add enough tire and enough spring that deflection from the forward part of the unibody could become an issue but I don't see that *ever* happening with a street car. Personally, I'd spend the money on better shocks/bars.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at stiffening the chassis but not too much. Like I said originally, the car will be driven on the street, but I deal with a lot of roundabouts and elbows I can take at good speeds just between my home and work, which I take advantage of every chance I get. But it will also be driven in the mountains on a regular basis (when driven) and tracking at formula 3 tracks which are short/small F1 style tracks. I'm running 7.5 wide by 205/50's and I'm looking for stability in the front end. From everything I've looked at, fender braces would work well for what I'm looking to do, I'm just looking for a decent set.

I'm also interested in bars for behind the front seat. I picked up one a while back but it doesn't fit (not sure if another EDM thing). I guess there's not too many EDM CRX's running around on here I'm gonna have to get back with my local shop and see what we can make happen I guess. Thanks anyway guys!
Old 12-28-2014, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fyi, most parts that are being sold for EF's are designed to fit on ED's. A EE (or true EF with B16) is different from the firewall to the nose. Brakes, hub, radiator, subframe etc.
If you want a tractionbar that fits in the original mounting position, try the Innovative tractionbar for the DA Integra. This car uses the same front subframe as the CRX's that came stock with a B16a.

https://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-...dm-ed-2944726/
Old 12-28-2014, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome info, thanks for the response. I read the link and got a bit lost. They keep arguing over whether or not the DA 6/9 actually fits or not. One guy says yes, another guys says he doesn't think so, but they never posted pics like they said they would.

Does the 90-93 integra innovative bar fit the EE8? If so, I'm down to pick one up.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It fits. I was a bit hesitant to buy it as well, but talked to a tuning shop here and they confirmed it.
Bought and testfitted it a while ago. And took some pictures As you can see the boltpattern is inline and not diagonally offset as for a ed chassis.

Don't mind the mess. I'm breaking this car for parts to restore my new chassis.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really appreciate the info, and glad to talk to someone who actually did it themselves. I'm gonna order one of these here real soon! BTW, is there another forum/area where the EDM peoples can go and chat about EDM stuff?
Old 12-29-2014, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In English? Try the UK CRX forum, CRX-UK Forum