Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

CRX brakes, 9.5" DX enough or go 10.25 EX???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX brakes, 9.5" DX enough or go 10.25 EX???

I picked up some complete DX knuckles, 9" booster and a new 15/16" mc for my hf h22 swap but just found some EX knuckles. Don't know if 10.25" is worth the weight penalty. The knuckles are also heavier not just the discs.

Haven't owned the CRX long, so don't know how well they hold up to heat, but my stock hf brakes will lock up a048's in the rear before the front on the original 1725 valve. Fronts at 26psi rear at 22psi. Only the very center of the tire actually contacts the road in the rear, maybe 4" on 15x7 205/55, unless taking hard corners. Worn stock suspension though, maybe too much weight transfer to fronts.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CRX brakes, 9.5" DX enough or go 10.25 EX???

Considering U have a h22 I would say your gonna want the larger brake setup. I’m running the stock integra brake setup on hawk dtc 60 pads on my gutted, b20 integra and in the higher speed braking zones it’s sometimes is just enough brake power, leaving a little brake performance desired. I would imagine it being a good bit worse on the smaller setup.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of driving are you doing and what pads are you currently running?

For track driving 9.5" brakes with good race pads (Hawk DTC60 or similar) won't have any issues getting you stopped or glazing over. But the problem you will run into on higher speed tracks is the 9.5" brakes don't have enough surface to dissipate the heat. So that heat gets transferred to your wheel bearings and axles which just can't hold up to it. I blew a number of axles and bearings before I got that sorted out.

I would use the EX knuckles, if you have the time and resources I would go ahead and convert those knuckles to use 11" rotors as well. If the rear end of your car is unloading that much I'd also put a less aggressive pad back there. I run Hawk DTC60 in the front and inexpensive Rock Auto Stoptech sport pads in the rear.

Anything other than track driving, the 9.5" brakes with good pads will be just fine.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:42 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Weight penalty for what sanctioning body and class?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys I'll go with the EX knuckles. Currently bone stock other than wheels and tires. Lol impulse project to hurt v8 feelings honestly but I want to start going to Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca once the swap is in. Nothing competitive just fun. Have a few cousins that have cars ready to go. 500whp 135i on swift springs, konis, azenis and the other with a c55, bilstein sports and azenis. Sorry when I said weight penalty I meant adding upsprung and reciprocating mass. Power to weight is what makes the CRX shine but yeah brakes are important lol.

Side note, need a quicker ratio rack, pain to drive without power steering and having to turn the wheel 180 to make a right or left turn haha. My e30 bmw's weren't that quick either but had great feel and a light wheel. I had a decent suspension setup (500f 800r, agx's, all delrin bushings, re11's) but it's hard to imagine a crx could keep up on a back road with similar suspension. It was my daily and I loved it. One of the nicest e30's in the bay area without a doubt but then it was totaled and left a bad taste in my mouth so can't go back to another e30. All that time, money and effort down the drain. Inspired confidence on mountain roads, can't say the same about the crx. I'd lose 1M's and e46 m3's in the twisties with half the power, the e30 just asked me to push it harder and harder through corners. I know the crx is supposed to handle much better than an e30 but it's hard for me to feel that behind the wheel.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THEhomelessONE
Thanks guys I'll go with the EX knuckles. Currently bone stock other than wheels and tires. Lol impulse project to hurt v8 feelings honestly but I want to start going to Sonoma, Thunderhill and Laguna Seca once the swap is in. Nothing competitive just fun. Have a few cousins that have cars ready to go. 500whp 135i on swift springs, konis, azenis and the other with a c55, bilstein sports and azenis. Sorry when I said weight penalty I meant adding upsprung and reciprocating mass. Power to weight is what makes the CRX shine but yeah brakes are important lol.

Side note, need a quicker ratio rack, pain to drive without power steering and having to turn the wheel 180 to make a right or left turn haha. My e30 bmw's weren't that quick either but had great feel and a light wheel. I had a decent suspension setup (500f 800r, agx's, all delrin bushings, re11's) but it's hard to imagine a crx could keep up on a back road with similar suspension. It was my daily and I loved it. One of the nicest e30's in the bay area without a doubt but then it was totaled and left a bad taste in my mouth so can't go back to another e30. All that time, money and effort down the drain. Inspired confidence on mountain roads, can't say the same about the crx. I'd lose 1M's and e46 m3's in the twisties with half the power, the e30 just asked me to push it harder and harder through corners. I know the crx is supposed to handle much better than an e30 but it's hard for me to feel that behind the wheel.
mid that’s the case I’d go for the type r mini brake setup on the ex knuckle. Gives u 11” rotor and clears most 15” wheels
Old 09-15-2018, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had to drive 200 miles round trip but got lucky at pick n pull and the ex knuckles were still there. I don't want to do any machining though. Most of the machine shops here stopped doing small jobs and the rest have crap service.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:57 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by THEhomelessONE
Had to drive 200 miles round trip but got lucky at pick n pull and the ex knuckles were still there. I don't want to do any machining though. Most of the machine shops here stopped doing small jobs and the rest have crap service.
No machining necessary.
There are several non Type R or similar combos. Google it you'll see what can be used.
Calipers from a
Oddessy mini van
Legend coupe
Use the front 11 inch mini cooper rotors
The calipers have to be swapped from normal right and left sides because of the bleed lines but that's about all you need to do.
Everything just bolts up.
I have the legend set up on my EG.
A 15x6 Wheel will even fit over the larger rotors and calipers with no problems.
With the proper pad its like being stopped by the hand of god!

Quicker rack ?? you can use an integra rack or try the electro power steering.
Google it using Honda Tech in the search.
Kiwi from Special Projects motorsports has a whole thread dedicated to it.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Very cool thanks! Never heard about using an integra rack.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems like you have decided to go with the bigger knuckles, thought I would throw in my 2 cents anyway.
A big advantage for me at least of the bigger knuckles is the wheel bearings - I went through a set of stock Si wheel bearings in 2 track days, even with brake ducts. The DA / EX knuckles have much larger wheel bearing and the larger brakes help a lot with heat dissipation which keeps the bearings operating a lower temp as well. I'm moving to DA knuckles with ITR calipers and Mini 11.1" rotors for that reason - the larger brakes should also help with handling the GSR motor thats going in over the winter. I'd love to track down a set of EX knuckles but they are pretty much non existent here.
The bigger EX / DA knuckles also open up a whole bunch of brake options - Wilwood, ITR, NSX / Legend, S2000 & RSX-S rotors, etc.