Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

Corner weighting

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Corner weighting

Originally Posted by Robin6
This is very high on my list of tools go get my dirty hands on.
LOL you said "dirty" Larry
Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirty19
LOL you said "dirty" Larry
dirty larry, crazy mary
Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Why are you changing ride heights for two tire setups with the same OD? Leave the ride height alone.
2. Think about your corner weights once you've lifted the inside rear. That's right, they don't matter.
3. Think about your corner weights when you have a front drive tripod that is left heavy. Yeah, they matter even less.

I found the car was fastest with asymmetric spring rates and corner weights tossed in favor of more equal front tire loading.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Spongebrad Squarepants

Originally Posted by solo-x
I found the car was fastest with asymmetric spring rates and corner weights tossed in favor of more equal front tire loading.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by descartesfool
A few psi? That's not my experience.

If the car is not set up well, then changing pressures by small amounts will not be a useful tuning tool..
I was generally speaking for most of the intermediate track junkies on here. You have more experience than most folks, so it will work for you adjusting air because you have a car that is setup fairly well. The average joe has no clue what dropping the front or rear psi will feel like and that it will not even help their car that is a few hundred lbs off on corner weights. You just agreed with me that small amounts are not useful when a car is not setup correctly, so I have no dispute.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1/2 a pound, are you serious. I must agree that a balance car should be better but to a half a pound on a 40 minute sprint race. I'm sorry I just don't see it.
If you hit traffic in one lap your tires are going to drop a little, if you go to hard you cook them in that lap.
Not impressed with the half a pound adjustment.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those scales are well priced on the vette forum. I can get a pretty good discount on Longacre if I do decide to do it.

1. Why are you changing ride heights for two tire setups with the same OD? Leave the ride height alone.
2. Think about your corner weights once you've lifted the inside rear. That's right, they don't matter.
3. Think about your corner weights when you have a front drive tripod that is left heavy. Yeah, they matter even less.

I cant run 225s at the height I run the 205s, hence the raising of the car.

I always lift the rears.

If you want to dial a car in, I myself feel corner balancing is worthwhile. This might not be for autox or certain people, my goal was to hear about setups for this not how everyone is so badass at drving they dont need silly things like corner balancing.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fwiw, I'm just sharing my experience:

-corner weighting DOES help with my set-up

-I don't think I can feel a 1/2 pound difference in tire psi, BUT I can definitely feel a 1psi change. With that said, I can feel a 50lb. difference in spring rate

what some people also over look is rake. too much or too little of it negates corner weighting the car to achieve that 50/50 cross weight.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks J-

Rake on your rear wing?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't seen these mentioned but it's what I have. Only thing it doesn't do is give you the cross weight percentages but it does give you percentages for each corner.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67650/
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by known
Rake on your rear wing?
Rake as in front or rear ride height lower then each other to achieve a certain weight % for the front or rear. Lowering the rear, if it is angled higher than the front like a stink bug, will add rear weight and can alter the front to rear bias a whole lot. So tinkering with front and rear ride heights will also dial your bias and get a better overall balance. Most of our Hondas are 60f/40r or so.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gotcha, I just wasn't sure. Those scales on summit do not look to bad but are not much less than the LA I can get.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That would be a pretty good deal. Which ones are they? I couldn't find the Accuset 2 for less than 900 bucks.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtecjj
fwiw, I'm just sharing my experience:

-corner weighting DOES help with my set-up

-I don't think I can feel a 1/2 pound difference in tire psi, BUT I can definitely feel a 1psi change. With that said, I can feel a 50lb. difference in spring rate

what some people also over look is rake. too much or too little of it negates corner weighting the car to achieve that 50/50 cross weight.
Sorry, but rake isn't going to impact your ability to achieve a 50% cross.

Seriously, if you corner weight the car in the spring, and use a tape measure to raise and lower the perches the same amount, if you corner weigh it again in the fall you'll be within >1% difference in cross percentage. So, for the cost of a setup book and a tape measure, you can get repeatable results and save on buying a scale setup. If you're just looking for some way to justify buying scales, go for it.

BTW, at $880 for scales and roughly the same for a basic data logger, I bet you the price difference you'll find more time with the logger. You might also find that a lot of things people think are important really aren't that important compared to things that are largely overlooked.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, but rake isn't going to impact your ability to achieve a 50% cross.
No, it's not going to affect the ability to achieve a 50/50 cross. But if for instance, if the rake is too high, the front to rear balance of the car will feel loose despite having a 50/50 cross percentage.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtecjj
No, it's not going to affect the ability to achieve a 50/50 cross. But if for instance, if the rake is too high, the [b]front to rear balance[\b] of the car will feel loose despite having a 50/50 cross percentage.
Ah, ok, I misunderstood your previous post. I wouldn't have thought anyone would think that the cross weight percentage affected overall balance though, just the balance when turning right vs. left.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 AM
$cat /dev/urandom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nico.tico
I haven't seen these mentioned but it's what I have. Only thing it doesn't do is give you the cross weight percentages but it does give you percentages for each corner.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-67650/
Those are very interesting... and summit racing is the ****. I've bought a lot of stuff from them over the years, and they provide excellent service.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW, at $880 for scales and roughly the same for a basic data logger, I bet you the price difference you'll find more time with the logger. You might also find that a lot of things people think are important really aren't that important compared to things that are largely overlooked.

I have a data logger.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a thread about corner balancing theory. It is theory with practical applications. The difference btw theory and practice is that some people who don't understand the theory are also very dismissive about it. U can totally tell from the replies LOLOLOLOL.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/road-racing-autocross-time-attack-19/corner-balancing-stuff-2547127/
Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still trying to figure out your post. And as Jimmy ask the first time , have you corner balance a car since?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I borrowed a set of really nice long acre scales yesterday. I got the car pretty close on x weight so I will see if it feels any better in a couple of weeks at the same track I raced last.