Bilstein's with Extended Top Hats

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 04:27 PM
lib
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bilstein's with Extended Top Hats

Originally Posted by solo-x
Oh, one other thing. I found excessive side load and accelerated seal wear on my shocks with extended top hats. I went back to a standard height top hat and the seal wear was dramatically reduced. I've also found, as someone else noted, that increasing suspension stroke by more than 1" is unnecessary on DC and EG chassis'. If you do, the bump stop is no long effective and you start hitting the UCA against the strut tower, 23" diameter tires start to cut themselves on the fender seam, and so on.
I wanted to bring this back as there is great info in here. I'm using the B8 Bilsteins with GC 425/475 lb/in. GC recommended the S2000 top hats which are not as extended as the integra/civic.

Have the same issue with shock being same diameter as opening on top hat. Nothing is hitting but the Bilstein bump stop will not fit inside the GC top hat so I used the one that came with the GC.

Noticed some oil on the outside of the front shocks. I was planning on getting them rebuilt but should I not be using these extended hats? They seem to be a waste because the bump stop cannot be used correctly. Any thoughts?
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 PM
lib
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lib
I wanted to bring this back as there is great info in here. I'm using the B8 Bilsteins with GC 425/475 lb/in. GC recommended the S2000 top hats which are not as extended as the integra/civic.

Have the same issue with shock being same diameter as opening on top hat. Nothing is hitting but the Bilstein bump stop will not fit inside the GC top hat so I used the one that came with the GC.

Noticed some oil on the outside of the front shocks. I was planning on getting them rebuilt but should I not be using these extended hats? They seem to be a waste because the bump stop cannot be used correctly. Any thoughts?

Old 06-14-2018, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had horrible luck with the Bilsteins. Sport on front and HD in the rear on a DelSol. 550 front and 650 rear springs. 2400LBS car. I roadrace on a bumpy old track and they lasted 1.5 years. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the car, jumped all over the track. Scary to drive. Pulled the front shocks and found they were extremely hard to compress. (Spring off) I could balance my body weight (200LBS) on them and it would compress about 1 inch. They were was like a super spring. something had failed inside both front. No leaks either. Swapped for Koni yellow races. 2.5 years later they are still going strong.

I had GC top hats already, and when i got the Bilstiens they had the required larger sleeve in the bag of parts.