Notices
Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

8th Gen Si vs. EJ9 as a track car?

Old 06-12-2018, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8th Gen Si vs. EJ9 as a track car?

So I’ve been wanting to build a track car for a little while now, I was going to build my E36 328i but before I even got the chance I blew out the rear strut tower. I’m daily driving a stock 06 Si right now, and I have a 96 Civic hatch with front end damage sitting in my garage right now and I want to start building up one of them but I’m torn on which one. Obviously my 8th gen is a lot heavier then the hatch but it already has a K20 in it. My hatch has a D16 so I would either swap a B-series into it or boost the D16.

What do do you guys think would be a better first track car? I’m pretty torn on which one I want to build so any advice helps
Old 06-13-2018, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 8th Gen Si vs. EJ9 as a track car?

Whatever car you can financially afford as a total loss. Accidents happen on track. Driving a cheaper car on track is more fun imo. I track my integra as my c5 zo6 just sits in the garage. I had a 125mph scare in 2015 in my Zo6 and I thought for sure I was meeting the wall in turn 1 at njmp thunderbolt. Built my integra for track duty only. Been having a blast with virtually no worry or stress. Don’t get me wrong my vette is fast and fun on track, but it’s also a handful and the “ don’t screw up” is always in the back of my mind.

To answer your question, I vote b series ek
Old 06-14-2018, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mx621
Whatever car you can financially afford as a total loss. Accidents happen on track.
Basically this...

It's the reason I chose a D16 powered EK to take over the track duty over from the Mustang. I know if I make contact with all or something in the EK I won't care too much and I can get replacement parts from Craigslist/junk yard.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the 8th gen si would be fun or as fun as an older honda if it was gutted

my integra is full interior and it feels like im riding a motorcycle everytime i drive it..compared to my ep3 daily driver.

a B swap would be nice/ideal but a d16 with an exhaust system and a lightweight flywheel would be more than enough

lots of dudes putting down fast laps in D series hondas. its alot easier to find D motors than it is to find B motors, IMO..if you pop one you can find one on CL for like $100 lol
Old 06-14-2018, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sjg88
i think the 8th gen si would be fun or as fun as an older honda if it was gutted

my integra is full interior and it feels like im riding a motorcycle everytime i drive it..compared to my ep3 daily driver.

a B swap would be nice/ideal but a d16 with an exhaust system and a lightweight flywheel would be more than enough

lots of dudes putting down fast laps in D series hondas. its alot easier to find D motors than it is to find B motors, IMO..if you pop one you can find one on CL for like $100 lol
I have a ton of fun daily driving and auto crossing my 8th, love the K20. The only time I’ve actually driven an EJ besides ripping mine up and down my back lane with no front end is my girlfriends but hers is an automatic. Most noticeable difference for me besides speed is steering feel. The steering in my 8th is a lot more sharp, and the EJ there’s a lot more steering input.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most likely your steering rack and tie rods are alittle long in the tooth so it feels kind of mushy compared to the electric rack on your Si

id recommend replacing them
Old 06-15-2018, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you plan to continue to daily drive your si I would build the hatch. Insurance companies don't like to pay for track related wrecks and many times will not even pursue a claim without a police report. So if you can't afford to replace the si if you wad it up in the wall then go for the hatch. Parts are much cheaper and easily to get your hands on. Also LOTS of folks have LOTS of track experience with known concerns and fixes for the earlier gen Honda's.