Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

RUST! anyone used this b4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUST! anyone used this b4?

"Rust Bullet® Automotive" or just "Rust Bullet" I'd heard it a while ago and wanted to try it now that my CRX is starting to rust a bit here and there (small surface rust)...here's the story?

Recently I just sanding down the step/area on the side skirt, but freaken forgot to clean the trim/skirt so when it rained the rust from the side skirt got back onto the sanded and and already painted area of the inner bottom door jab so now I gotta re-do again

first time I only sanded down the rust close to bare metal, then primer and painted them then clear coat....is that good enough? to keep the rust from coming back for a while or do i have to completely sand it all off to where I see no more rust spots if I don't want it to come back?

So have anyone tried the "Rust Bullet® Automotive" paint???Because I want to use this instead of just primer this time....so I have a little more comfort to know the rust won't come back as they say for this product to work....ANYONE used try them before/ personal experience? Let me know and let me know on what I did is good enough for the rust or not...TIA

P.S. Oh forget anyone know where I can go buy it locally instead of ordering seeing as I only need like a little and not a lot??????
Old 06-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all the views and no one?...how about how I fixed the rust any comment?......?
Old 06-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CR91X)

once its rusty, its rusty mate. you can slow it but never get shot of it. sounds like any other rust treatment paint, it just kills what rust it touches and "neutralizes it" so you can paint over it. problem is the metal around its probably already gone or contaminated.

go read about rust formation and reactions that cause rust.

you need to remove all the rust, every last bit. wire wheel it then get a grinding stone onto whats left. once its bare metal use a rust treatment to seal it (like the above paint) then just primer and re-paint that area.

it will keep it at bay for a year or so, but never gets rid of it. only way to get rid of rust 100% is to replace with new metal. once it starts, it never stops.

other problem is welding, welding process creates rust to. seen plenty of cars that had their sills welded/plated and the fresh metal is fine, but the welds then rust :lol: (a weld through high zinc primer helps prevent this, but again never sorts it)

here in the uk its genrally pretty damp all year round, temps vary from anyhwere form -5c up to +30c and they bucket salt and grit all over the roads.

cars waxoyled from new generally stay new alot longer, seen a few cherished examples completley rust free after being treated with the stuff every couple of years. good stuff for weatherproofing under sills AND inside them, no point in painting over rust though, it just traps moisture etc in there

Old 06-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (redsolturbo)

Thanks on the rust part..yeah I kind of know a bit about rust but yeah guess I'll have to go back and get even the littlest of littlest spot off, I guess I'm lucky it's only just starting vs it already rusting....

as far as the "rust bullet" just thought I post to see if anyone has used it or not and if I could it it locally from any place vs ordering, which I know I won't need much but yeah...well guess that's all if no one else post...but thanks for the info. and suggestions