Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Need help doing some body work repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help doing some body work repair

Hi all,

I need some help/advise on how to repair things on my 5th gen accord exterior. I am trying to get the body in good condition and get it ready to be painted eventually.

Currently, I have some issues that I have no idea how to fix properly. The left corner of the rear windshield has a paint/bondo/idk that chipped and fell off from being baked in the sun I guess and I'd like to know how to repair it. I have taken a picture of the said problem area.

Any help/advise/tips to properly fix it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BG

Old 10-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help doing some body work repair

i think this rubber near glass could be removed with a screw driver a liitle in order to see if there is any "hidden" rust. If there is hidden rust and it is also under the glass you have to ask an expert to remove the glass entirelly (and re-install it after paint work is done), because if there is any remaining rust it will destroy again the paint job. But from the picture i would suggest that rust is only under the rubber and not under the glass.

After this thing happen it is a standard procedure:

remove old paint/primer near the damage with 150 grit sanding block, till surface near damage is smooth and after clean well the area.
Apply some fine polyester body filler (the white one).
After it is dry (1-2 hours), dry sand with 300 sanding block till is completely smooth. Finish with 400. clean very well.
You now can tape the area very well (to protect the undamaged area) and apply some spray filler primer. You can use a carton with a hole in the middle for more topical spraying. After primer is well dry (no smell), wet sand with 800 sponge till area is very smouth. If there is any imperfection you must apply another layer of primer and again wet sand with 800 sponge.

There are meny videos at youtube for body paint preparation and primer spraying. You can watch em to become the perfect DIY car body expert.

Last edited by turbomaniac; 10-27-2017 at 10:23 PM.