Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

Changing 97 Accord Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing 97 Accord Bumper

I have a 97 honda accord lx 4dr, and i have bumper damage. So im going to replace the whole thing. I was just wondering if this was a difficult task? Im getting a new oem bumper off ebay. Should i be able to do this alone?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Changing 97 Accord Bumper

yes. its easy. once u take out ur bumper u will figure how to put it back.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very simple task. should be done in an hour for sure, even if u have no clue what u are doing.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 PM

You may need bumper clips,
or go cheap (but safe) and use zipties.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah is it ur front or back?

front- first take out clip that holds ur grill/bumper with flat head. then remove the bumper clip on the both side. then safely remove it from the body.

back- is basically the same as front. clip and more clip. no way u will do ani damage unless ur an idiot...

did this a bunch of time during the summer to flush out some gaps
Old 10-17-2009, 06:01 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Do you have a Helms Manual? Helms shows the steps. Shows how to remove the grill too, but remember to unscrew the fastener [a screw and washer] where the edge of the fender and the top furthermost back tip of the bumper cover meet, some call body shops it fender cowling. No point in damaging things anymore. I did this job recently along with other front and side body work. If you don't have Helms the procedure is the screws I mentioned, then take a long screwdriver and take out your front turn signals from the bumper, you'll likely need a flashlight to see them [they are recessed in the center of a small round white plastic part], then you'll need a long extension, a ratchet or breaker bar and then remove the 4 bolts in the Stay [a.k.a. inner bumper beam bracket], then it comes off. It helps to have a helper hold the thing [so the weight does not mess up the threads in the body], but if you are doing it alone [I did], then use a floor-jack under the middle and it should balance fairly well. That's about it, but even with the best instructions remember Murphy is always prowling around. Hard to believe that not one person told you the procedure. Too much anguish to type it out I suppose. Easy to say, "Oh, its a piece of cake, only an idiot will screw it up!" Yeah, its easy if you already did it once, or someone showed you how, or you had a service manual, or you just plain got lucky. If anyone thinks that there is nothing to anything and that everything always goes by the book, then they are delusional, because if anything can go wrong it will - count on it. If everything went by the book and was a piece of cake there wouldn't be all these automotive enthusiast web sites that are filled with people struggling with everything under the sun. That's true for every brand of vehicle made, there are none that are trouble free ....

Btw, when I did my bumper, I got a box of the plastic clips at a body shop supply house. Take one of the old clips with you along with your vehicle info. and they will get you the right clip [hopefully]. I bought a box of ten clips but there are 11 clips holding the cover onto the inner beam, 9 on top, and 2 underneath [at least for a 94 Accord]. I got lucky and one clip was ok. I never replaced my bumper, I repaired it. It was ok except for some torn plasic that I welded.

Last edited by AtoZ; 10-17-2009 at 09:08 AM.