Notices
Midwest Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin

Illinois House Bill 4888

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Illinois House Bill 4888

Jan. 21st, 2010 in QC Times:

SPRINGFIELD — Drivers in Illinois would be required to have only one license plate on their vehicle under legislation pending in the Illinois House.
The proposed law would require drivers to have one license plate in the rear of their vehicle, changing the current law that requires license plates in both the front and back of a registered vehicle.
State Rep. Jerry Mitchell, R-Sterling, said he is sponsoring the measure because it would save the state $1 million a year.
“Every little bit helps,” he said.
Both the Illinois State Police and the Secretary of State’s office, which oversees license plate assignments and distribution, are opposed to the proposed law.
Scott Compton, spokesperson for the state police, said the presence of front license plates gives police officers another opportunity to identify vehicles.
Compton said physical descriptions of cars sometimes can be misleading, leaving the license plate the “tell-tale factor” when it comes to locating the correct vehicle.
Henry Haupt, spokesperson for the Secretary of State, said the department supports the state police’s position and wants to “make certain that law enforcement has the tools to do their job properly.”
Haupt said the cost to make a set of license plates is $2.59. The cost to make a single license plate would be reduced to $1.99, as the cost of labor outweighs the cost of aluminum, he said.
Currently, 19 states don’t require a front license plate.
http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/Bill...=96&SpecSess=0

any thoughts about this??? Ive been driving with no front plates for months now, and Ive had illegal tints before they became legal and i only got busted for my tints once and never for my front plates or my deep blue hid's. What is everyone's thoughts on this bill?? i want this to pass badly!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Illinois House Bill 4888

Ive been driving with no front plate for 7 years and never had a ticket or been pulled over for it.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had been pulled over many times for not having a front plate, very annoying. My question is, when the bill passes is there anything that I can print out so I can throw at the five o
Old 02-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Shenanigans

Originally Posted by System Lord
Ive had been pulled over many times for not having a front plate, very annoying. My question is, when the bill passes is there anything that I can print out so I can throw at the five o
if the bill passes there is a database it will be able to be found at online...this happened with the tint bill too, i know of a few ppl who got tickets for it after the bill passed and they now carry a copy of it with them
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well with the tints all you have to do is take a picture of your car and print the copy of the bill form the internet and show it to the judge and your ticket will be removed from your record, same thing if this front plate thing passes but if it passes soon the cops may say you need a sticker with experation of something 11 to be a dick if they change it for when ur plates expire. I know in colorado no front plates and tints are secondary offenses so if you get a ticket for speeding and you have illegal itnts and no front plates you get ****ed for everything possible, but at least you cant get pulled over for illegal tints or not front plates in colorado.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait!

Hopefully it gets approved! :D

btw,
Next Vehicles & Safety Committee Hearing Feb 10 2010 10:00AM
Old 02-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eh, as much as this seems to be good for us, there's going to be people that are involed in hit and runs, shootings, and other serious crimes that could be caught on camera that could identify the car. yea it might suck for us to either relocate or take the risk of not having a plate in the front of our cars, but you can be sure that if someone hit your precious ctr, type r integra, etc. and it was caught on some security camera that only showed the front of the car, you would have wished that there was a plate there. hey, i dont like to have a plate on my front bumper either, but i'll deal with it.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with slvrlude that a front plate helps, but what is the likelihood of a camera being present at the time of an incident? Or if there is, what is the likelihood of it catching the front plate or a plate at all? And how often do you see cameras that can actually capture the face of a person, let alone a license plate?

The cops make a good argument, but how are the cops gonna identify a vehicle from the front when they are always chasing vehicles from behind? And even if they were patroling and spotted a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction, do you think they would be able to see the plate? They look primarily at the color, make and model of the car, and then the driver.

I haven't had a front plate for 8 years, but in 2006 I got a ticket for no front plate and front tints. My car was parked overnight on the street in Chicago and they got me at 5am.

I think the law to eliminate the front plate should be passed because front plates are not necessary.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

so glad in indiana we dont have to worry bout this
Old 02-17-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it didn't pass
Old 02-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh well...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In for updates, did it pass?
Old 02-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by System Lord
In for updates, did it pass?
lol seriously?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OMFG I'm so fed up with this law! There's no real justifiable reason to have a front license plate on you're car, I live in the city of Chicago and I drive my BMW 330Ci around and park it on the streets, the car is completely legal and legitimate, I even purchased "tint plates" once they were available because I was walking out to tint tickets once a week and now since I've had that resolved now it's "front/rear license plate required" tickets! I seriously have like 10 of em and they stack up more and more every week!

I understand the law is the law but without justification for the law I seriously can't control my rage! Another thing is, is that the money and tickets are issued by the Illinois Department of Revenue, not even police, the one's who say it's necessary. If the Chicago police feel it's so necessary than they should waste there own time enforcing the laws.

I couldn't be happier if this law were to pass soon if it goes back through the process.

I feel like beating the **** outta the guy who writes that ticket and leaves it on my car.

Oh and btw the most recent one I got was in the mail, it was two pictures one of my rear (tint) plate and another of the front of my car from the BMW badge up, for those of you who are unfamiliar that means that the front bumper and where the plate "should" be mounted (not that there's factory holes for it) ARE NOT EVEN IN THE PIC!!! SO HOW THE **** ARE YOU GOING TO.... AAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

howd you get the tint plates?? ive been trying to get em but eye doctors can't fill out the form...