Notices
Lighting HID/Xenon kits, Retrofits and Associated Topics

Cool Blue vs. Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool Blue vs. Silverstars

I cant find anything on the cool blue's are they just blue or do they offer better light than OEM?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cool Blue vs. Silverstars (TypeRobert)

They are basically just intended to give off a whiter light. Neither of those bulbs is the best choice currently available as far as high performance halogen is concerned.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:55 AM

I work at advance and i hate the cool blue light, they get returned all the time. they are barely wighter than the stock imo. id go with the silverstar ultras if not hids, since they just made the h4s now. and there onslae %25 off til jan.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool blue was worse than the stock for me.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yangtech)

iight thats what i wanted to hear...Only thing now is that im wondering about these too https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2143262
Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yangtech)

A friend installed some Cool Blue bulbs several years ago after her Eurolite Crystal bulbs burnt out. They to me didn't look blue at all. I couldn't really tell much of a difference over stock.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of bulb?

If it's 9003/h4 and you're only considering Cool Blue or Silverstar, get the Cool Blues over Silverstars. I did a side by side test and they are the same, except Cool Blues are like $18/pair at Wal-Mart, and Silverstars are like $30-40.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool Blue vs. Silverstars (White95SiHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by White95SiHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What kind of bulb?

If it's 9003/h4 and you're only considering Cool Blue or Silverstar, get the Cool Blues over Silverstars. I did a side by side test and they are the same, except Cool Blues are like $18/pair at Wal-Mart, and Silverstars are like $30-40.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-15-2007, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want some tinted bulbs, don't bother driving in the rain.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

they both suck,if you want a white light get hyper white go to a honda speciallty shop,theres one by me called one 6 that has them.thats where i got my yellow headlights on my eg hatch
Old 11-15-2007, 07:14 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TypeRobert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

9006...</TD></TR></TABLE>

9006 = install a pair of HIR 9012 bulbs.

It's the best you'll get, short of HID, and relatively inexpensive.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool Blue vs. Silverstars (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

9006 = install a pair of HIR 9012 bulbs.

It's the best you'll get, short of HID, and relatively inexpensive. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ive used both the silverstars and those HIR 9012 bulbs. even did the 9005 conversion with the silverstars and let me tell you... there isnt really much of a difference between the two. theres a difference but its a REALLY SMALL difference. the only place i know that sells those HIR bulbs are from this one guy on ebay, which is where i bought them from. for 70 bucks for two bulbs, id rather invest in some HIDs. i just recently bought plug and play hids for 150 and they are such a great investment. you can definitely tell a difference in how bright the roads are now when driving at night. deres good vendors in the sponsors section that sell hids so read up on some reviews. the ones sold by operatic for 130 look pretty good. i say cough up the extra 60 bucks and go for HIDs. dont waste ur money on cool blue crap. if you want cool blue, big ball it and go for 8000k HIDs. hope that helps ur decision
Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 PM

they suck man.
i got cool blues on my dc only because it came with the car and it is worse then oem.
plus they go out fast.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Cool Blue vs. Silverstars (iwantturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iwantturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive used both the silverstars and those HIR 9012 bulbs. even did the 9005 conversion with the silverstars and let me tell you... there isnt really much of a difference between the two. theres a difference but its a REALLY SMALL difference. the only place i know that sells those HIR bulbs are from this one guy on ebay, which is where i bought them from. for 70 bucks for two bulbs, id rather invest in some HIDs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure how you measured the output, but there should be a definite difference in light output. The 9012 produces nearly twice the lumens of a standard 9006 bulb, and slightly more than a standard 9005 bulb (though the 9012 has a much longer rated life). It also produces a whiter (3600K) light than a standard halogen. You can pick up a pair for roughly $50, and since the filament is in the same location as a regular 9006 bulb, the 9012 works very well in the stock housings.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:06 PM

go hidss way better
Old 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not really sure what everyone is talking about. I love the cool blue lights. I think the high beams on the blue's are brighter then that of the silverstars. I havn't used the silverstar ultra's yet.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The point of HIR bulbs is that you get even more light than a 9005 conversion, but with a MUCH longer life than 9005 bulbs. I don't know where that $70 price is from. http://www.hirheadlights.com has them for like $25 each.

As for Cool Blues and Silverstars, I used to have both in my car using the 9005 conversion back in the day before going HID. At first I had the Cool Blues in 9005 modified to fit my low beams. Much more light than stock, but not much whiter than stock. Then I tried the Silverstars in 9005 modified to fit my projectors. Much whiter than stock and of course more light than stock 9006's, but they blew out in like 3-4 months. Then I realized the whiter light wasn't worth the extra price, and I just went back to the same set of Cool Blues I had before. Same amount of light output (if not more) than Silverstar 9005's for half the price. Those lasted me 1.5 years total before one burned out, which was actually the exact time I put in my first HID kit.

But as for HID kits, they suck too. Now I have a projector retrofit and have been using the same HID bulbs for nearly 4 years and the same ballasts for 5 years now.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:09 AM
Me Gusta History

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iwantturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ive used both the silverstars and those HIR 9012 bulbs. even did the 9005 conversion with the silverstars and let me tell you... there isnt really much of a difference between the two. theres a difference but its a REALLY SMALL difference. the only place i know that sells those HIR bulbs are from this one guy on ebay, which is where i bought them from. for 70 bucks for two bulbs, id rather invest in some HIDs. i just recently bought plug and play hids for 150 and they are such a great investment. you can definitely tell a difference in how bright the roads are now when driving at night. deres good vendors in the sponsors section that sell hids so read up on some reviews. the ones sold by operatic for 130 look pretty good. i say cough up the extra 60 bucks and go for HIDs. dont waste ur money on cool blue crap. if you want cool blue, big ball it and go for 8000k HIDs. hope that helps ur decision</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK i've done the Silverstars and the 9012 bulbs, and there was a NOTICEABLE difference. I got more light instead of 'whiter' light, which doesn't really mean anything except the light is filtered so you're losing output. The fact that you like the output of a plug and play hid 'kit' and consider it an investment makes this even more questionable.

I went from:

Stock
Sylvania +10
Cool Blue
Silverstar
5300k HID kit
HiR
Nighthawk
Philips Nightguide

And I can honestly say the Nighthawks and HiRs were probably the best. I'm waiting on the Nightguides right now. The Cool blues were pure crap, the silverstars were bright white but weren't very effective and burned out quickly, and the HID kit just spattered light everywhere. More light does not equal better light. Stick with a basic high performance halogen bulb in a halogen housing.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool Blue vs. Silverstars (accordselux)

in my quest to support a h-t member I got these at a very good price and so far im satisfied even though I havent used them myself but the other users of the car love the differece.
they are cuzo light bulb

Before pics:

After (dont mind the plastic bat I just now found out the shocks are starting to slip first thing I found on trunk)

(yes lights are ON if you look in high beam side of housing you can see how it looks when lights are off)

sorry going to have to wait till sunday to get my review and night pics
Old 12-13-2007, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't expect it to be better than stock. Most likely it will be worse.

I had Cuzo blue bulbs in my old 89 Camry and they were awful. I had friends riding in my car at night ask me if my lights were on, on several different occasions, because you really couldn't see the light on the road.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PatrickGSR94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't expect it to be better than stock. Most likely it will be worse.

I had Cuzo blue bulbs in my old 89 Camry and they were awful. I had friends riding in my car at night ask me if my lights were on, on several different occasions, because you really couldn't see the light on the road. </TD></TR></TABLE>

its more like the opposite for me my old oem bulbs were like that I havent driven with these one yet but by mom said you can really notice the light now, and she wouldnt notice crap unless it was pretty obvious.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TypeRobert)

I've had both the cool blues and silverstars.

Like Patrick I had the Silverstars with the 9005 conversion in my DC for a good 1.5 years without a single problem. Light was no where near blueish or very white either. You'd only get a nice HIDish color at the cutoff of the light but thats it.

Cool blues &gt; oem output &lt;---looks close to 4300 HID's
9005 Silverstar &gt;&gt; oem output &lt;--- Looks like really bright halogens (no blue/purple tint at all)

The coolblues look pretty close to a 4300K HID kit in my g/fs em1. There is a huge difference in both output and light color between the coolblues and the oem headlight. I only know this b/c one side is stock and the other side has a cool blue in it and I can recognize her car from a 1/4 mile away and I've also driven her car to attest to this as a fact.

But seriously, HID kits are so cheap these days. Go out and pick up a pair. I love mine every time I turn it on :]
Old 12-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (no show no go)

^^^ hmm I don't know what bulbs you used, but my Silverstars were MUCH whiter than my Cool Blues. But my 9005 Silverstars only lasted 3-4 months when used on low beams, my 9005 Cool Blues lasted 1.5 years.

An HID kit with the stock projectors is not the answer, either. Junk.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

Here are the night pics (you can clearly see the reason why I didnt take the pics yesterday).....
(rear tires were on top of snow so the light didnt go as far as they actually do)

Yea my front license plate holder broke so I took it off...might put it on the side

Close up...

With OEM high beams on( you can see color difference)....

yea I love em theres a hint of blue in them but not enough to qualify as rice IMO I feel like they are an improvement over the ones I had before
Old 12-18-2007, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They look dimmer than normal 9006 bulbs would.