Notices

What Kpro should I be looking at for K20A2 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Kpro should I be looking at for K20A2 swap?

Hi,
I'm just about to start swaping motors in my EK VTi (B16A2) for a K20A2 engine and was wondering which Kpro should I get, some say Type-R Kpro ECU and others say Type-S Kpro ECU. Another thing is, will the Hasport/Rywire loom/harness for the swap be plug and play or do I need special connectors for those kind of harnesses? I know this has been questioned and answered a million times but I don't wanna make any mistake on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Kpro should I be looking at for K20A2 swap?

Bump.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

With K-Pro, you can use many different ECU platforms and alter the tune accordingly to fit your needs. It would matter which ECU you get more if you were intending to use it as a stock ECU without K-Pro.

Check the "Specifications" tab in this link for a list of ECU types that will work for you.

https://www.hondata.com/kpro/kpro-product
Old 07-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wouldn't he still need the correct ecu that went to his engine wiring harness? I know their is a jumper harness to run a k20a2 ecu with a k20z1 harness but other then that I thought they all run the ecu specific to the wiring harness.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldieWang
Wouldn't he still need the correct ecu that went to his engine wiring harness? I know their is a jumper harness to run a k20a2 ecu with a k20z1 harness but other then that I thought they all run the ecu specific to the wiring harness.
There is SOME truth to this line of thinking... basically the engine harness ECU plugs will be similar if the engine utilizes the same type of throttle body... cable driven are all from one family and DBW ECU's are from another family. There was a time when keeping the reverse lockout solenoid control required a RSX-S (PRB) or JDM K20A (PRC) ECU, but the KPro software has evolved and, for example, the auxiliary intake runner control can be substituted for this circuit which is found in the base RSX ECU. So, I will say again... check the list on the Hondata website and use ONLY what is listed there.

For a "swap" car, the most sensible engine harness choices, regardless of the engine to be used, would be the RSX-S (PRB), EP3 and base RSX manual. Some plugs may need to be changed, lengthened or shortened to make everything work, but they are good foundations.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:55 AM
H-T Premium Sponsor

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

usually you get the engine harness and ecu to match the engine. so in your case the type s engine harness and ecu.

the hasport harness is plug and play and comes with instructions
Old 08-09-2017, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a Hasport harness, it was great and went in like a charm. My stock eg cluster works as it should.