Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

Not From Around Here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not From Around Here.

First time Honda Owner, bought a 2001 Civic EX 5 speed for the kid to drive.
I have a couple of open ended questions and maybe some specific ones.
Engine was replaced some 55k miles ago, so I know it was a successful transplant. Seller said "they forgot" to put the ACC pump back in. And they kept it. So no ACC pump resulting in no air ugh.
I Am worried about how many miles were on the replacement engine and whether it had a newer timing belt when it went into the car. The original engine was said to have blown a head gasket. I dont know why they would replace the entire engine just for that, but it was also said to have over heated as well, I guess. Seller mentioned the coolant reservoir never empties, not sure if he was referring to this engine or the previos one as it was his daughter's car he was selling for her. It certainly doesnt over heat now. But, I noticed not only does one of two fans run, but it drips a little oil and I'm not sure from where yet. I plan to check the pan and the valve covers more thoroughly soon. After a test drive though, I felt it had enough good compression going for it, so I bought it cheap. Looked at the brakes shoes/pads/rotors and found the rear wheel bearings were toast. I was able to easily bolt on new rear bearing hub assemblies. I am now looking into replacing the front wheel bearings as well as checking out the upper and lower ball joints. In the meantime, car runs and drives relatively fine and handles great.
While I can do shoes/pads/rotors/calipers rear hub/bearings, possibly even do the front bearings and if needed balljoints myself too, etc etc.. I'm wondering how easy the timing belt and ACC pump work would be (assuming I can find someone who can test it for leaks and charge it for me). I would plan to get a used ACC pump, already priced at around $85.00. Not sure about any other hardware it comes with or not yet. Any general thoughts about what or where on this car I should be focusing, would be appreciated. I feel like a kid again, mainly from arguing with my kid over who gets to drive.

Last edited by whodoesnt; 05-29-2015 at 09:58 AM. Reason: gramatical