Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

New Honda owner...well, new to me...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 03:03 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Honda owner...well, new to me...

Hi everyone. First off, i see there is a wealth of info here and seems to be a great group of people willing to help one another in building some nice rides!

Well, I just purchased a bone stock 1999 Honda Civic EX 5 speed from my brothers friend (who blew the motor, not sure what exactly is wrong with it yet, but vehicle/motor has 225,000 miles on it, so throwing in a JDM SOHC VTEC with about 42k on it).

My question(s) to the masses here are: 1. Is there a "complete" California legal turbo kit available? (Just got off the phone with Edelbrock, the kits they made are no longer legal in Cali) 2. If there aren't any complete kits to be had legally in Cali, what are my options as far as a turbo setup is concerned? (I live in San Diego to be specific). 3. This vehicle will be a daily driver and I will be transporting my daughter in it, so it must be reliable as far as the turbo setup. 4. I guess the 2nd most important thing (reliability being the 1st) is I want to make around 300 hp.

I won't lie to you fine folks, I have only owned 1 turbo vehicle and it was a '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse (factory turbo). That was a fun car back in my 20's, but I want a little more from this car and still have reliability, and I have never boosted a vehicle via aftermarket, so there you have it.

Future plans for the Civic, Progress CS-II Coilovers (1.5" drop), Turbo setup of some sort, intercooled of course, tuck wiring and delete a few un-necessary items from engine compartment, throw in a nice stereo system, HID lighting, body kit, Kinda torn on wheels right now, but I'll cross that bridge later.

I'm open to a few suggestions as where to start this build and would like to meet a few members from here in the San Diego area too.

One last question, if there isn't a completely 50 state legal turbo kit available, how do the guys/girls here in Cali deal with the whole smog issues wen an aftermarket turbo is installed???

Thanks for listening/reading my jibberish and hope to hear from a few of you.