Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

How's it, new to the form, need to pick some brains, glad to be here, the form has he

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How's it, new to the form, need to pick some brains, glad to be here, the form has he

So here we go, I have a 97 Honda Civic DX with a half VTech and half none VTech engine, how that worked out idk, the dealer says its a vtech but the timming kit says its not vtech, the hole story is as follows,

I did an oem rebuild after the infamous headgasket problem, just to make sure my wife has a good working car to rely on,

so all new gaskets, main bearing, rod bearings, pistons, rod pins, new head gasket, head bolts, (after the old head bolts bit me in the a$$),
new oil pump, (my problem child), new ignition coil, crank sensor, wix oil filter, Castrol 20X50 oil, timming belt, tensioner, water pump, drive belts,

but at idle the oil light flashes, on & off, then goes out for a few then comes on & stays on for a few, the back off & on cold start idles @1200rpm til warm/hot then starts the oil light issue, raise the rpm to 1500/2k goes out but not so trusting with all I've read hear?
Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 PM
Trial User

Default Re: How's it, new to the form, need to pick some brains, glad to be here, the form ha

Originally Posted by Matt Barrett
So here we go, I have a 97 Honda Civic DX with a half VTech and half none VTech engine, how that worked out idk, the dealer says its a vtech but the timming kit says its not vtech, the hole story is as follows,

I did an oem rebuild after the infamous headgasket problem, just to make sure my wife has a good working car to rely on,

so all new gaskets, main bearing, rod bearings, pistons, rod pins, new head gasket, head bolts, (after the old head bolts bit me in the a$$),
new oil pump, (my problem child), new ignition coil, crank sensor, wix oil filter, Castrol 20X50 oil, timming belt, tensioner, water pump, drive belts,

but at idle the oil light flashes, on & off, then goes out for a few then comes on & stays on for a few, the back off & on cold start idles @1200rpm til warm/hot then starts the oil light issue, raise the rpm to 1500/2k goes out but not so trusting with all I've read hear?

Engine Tech (New Parts & Gaskets) gates water pump & timming belt.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How's it, new to the form, need to pick some brains, glad to be here, the form ha

Did you do a valve lash adjustment after the timing belt job? I recently replaced my timing belt and water pump with a Gates belt and Honda pump, and had a high idle issue, then went back and adjusted the valve lash (and alternator belt tension because it was squealing like a stuck pig) and after a few minutes of idling it settled into normalcy...