Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

97 civic with B18c swap misfire

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 civic with B18c swap misfire

Hey guys, I’m new on here and need some help!

Okay let’s start off from when I did the swap.
Got an engine from a buddy that had the engine sitting for 10yrs. It’s a B18c with skunk 2 cams and and can gears, with upgraded valve, springs and retainers.
Before i swapped it in
changed valve cover gasket, timing belt, water pump, tensioner and lubricated head with assembly lube since it had been sitting for a while. He also has it tuned with p28 chip and s200. Engine currently had obd1 injectors and obd1 dizzy.

When doing the swap I put everything obd2
injectors and dizzy. Since my engine harness is non Vtec I wired up Vtec, knock sensor and performed IACV mod.

So first day of start up, car started up right away, bled coolant. Once car was warmed up noticed engine was running rough! Was backfiring like crazy and was hesitating when giving it gas. drove vehicle like that to my shop and decided to check timing and it was off.
adjusted timing and test drove vehicle and notice my engine was starting to heat up. Turned it off and went back to the shop. Found out my fan was not kicking in checked thermostat sensor and noticed the clip wasn’t staying in, fixed it and fan kicked on. So driving back home 10 miles, car was running fine but idle was fluctuating when stopping (idle). Right before my exit on the highway I was on fourth gear, decided to hit vtec and gave it about little more then half throttle and let rpms build up to Vtec. Vtec kicked in and stayed on it and out of nowhere it bogged so I let go. When slowlying down coming off the ramp exit vehicle starts to sound like a Subaru boxer engine. Started to misfire so I got home and turned off the car. My engine has brand new NGK spark plug wires, ngk spark plugs, new obd2 distributor and all injectors are working fine!
Checked for codes and no codes present.
Performed a compression test
cyl #1 45psi
cyl #2 125psi
cyl #3 190psi
cyl #4 190psi

performed wet compression test
cyl #1 stayed the same

cyl #2 stayed the same

as the other 2 .

so found out rings are good on the pistons.

Then as I’m looking around the head
outside, saw oil sweeping through the head and the block. So decided to take off the head to resurface the head and change gasket. Since the two cylinders that are bad and right next to each other a head gasket can be the cause.

Resurface the head and change all valve seals. Put
head back in torque to specs everything, got all timing marks aligned. Started up vehicle and still sounds like a boxer engine. Hanvnt done a compression test yet on it, but if the cylinders are still low for 1 and 2
what can be the cause of it?
Driving me crazy and can’t get the car running right.
Need help ASAP!