Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats wrong with my tranny? pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats wrong with my tranny? pics!

ok, so i bought this car off a buddy. its a 96 civic with an h22. just after he finished his swap he hit a rock and cracked the bell housing on the tranny. from what ive heard he replaced it with an f22 bellhousing but with all the same guts and housing from the original h22 setup. but ever since he put it back together shifting felt pretty goofy and tight so i've pulled the tranny to figure out whats up. i think the shifting weird problem was from the bearing under the mainshaft not being seated all the way. thats fixed, but ive also noticed the gears in the stacks don't line up! (see pictures below). so is this something to do with the bellhousing? is it something normal? is it something else? ive rebuilt the stacks multiple times following the honda prelude factory manual. i can pretty much guarantee everything is there... i can't figure it out, maybe someone here knows?

any help would be much appreciated!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with my tranny? pics! (I3iggy)

There are 2 thin washers that have a small Dome to them. You have to place them with the domed sides facing each other.. could be it.. it will create different clearances... just a thought i had..

try to test fit the case on the shafts with only ONE thin washer in there.. if everything moves fine.. you have pin pointed the problem.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:59 AM

Default Re: whats wrong with my tranny? pics! (havok hybrid)

You siad you have rebuilt it a few times? Did you use OEM parts? I use to rebuild ZF, and getrag tranny's(Fairly simple) and when I would order after market parts from a second hand company, I would have to fab some of the parts up so they would line up. But, thats ford and chevy, and dodge so I don't know if you would run into similar problems.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats wrong with my tranny? pics! (SixguN)

sixgun - sorry i mean i took everything apart and put it all back together several times. to make sure everything was there and assembled properly.

havok hybrid - theres 2 washers (1 thrust 1 regular) under the mainshaft that are there and from what i can tell from the manual the thrust washer is the right way in. theres also a washer underneath 1st gear on the countershaft that i can verify is there.

if i yanked the washers from underneath the mainshaft it would probably line up, but im pretty sure they're there for a reason so i dont wanna pull em.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: whats wrong with my tranny? pics! (SixguN)

Don't forget that when the C-clip on the countershaft clicks in the countershaft is actually slightly suspended up maybe another 1/16 to 1/8th of an inch. Do the H22 trannies even have the washers at the bottom of the mainshaft??? I know B-series do... but not sure about the H.

Good luck.

EDIT: Actually looked at the pics this time. I see the washers. The sychros that are in the pics look good as well. Was the tight shifting you describe from time to time or was it constant?
Old 03-29-2006, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from the tiny bit i drove it (1 day) i think it was constant. im pretty sure now the stickiness was just from the bearing and that the c-clip raises up the countershaft enough to make everything line up. i'll throw er back together tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 03-31-2006, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (I3iggy)

Any updates?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

woops, buddy called up with an offer of some poker... needless to say i'll let you know when i start putting it back together. i want to clean it up and paint it first too.