Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of ECU to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2001, 12:41 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of ECU to use?

What computer would be good if I have a DOHC VTEC motor in a 92 integra? The problem with a GSR computer is that my speedo is cable driven, not electrical. I hear the PR3 computer is a pile of crap. Any new DOHC VTEC computer has the electric speedo and I hate the check engine light for that. Even though there is a CEL on because of the speedo, does that mean that it is in safety mode. I know my car has been in safety mode because I do not have a knock sensor, but if I get a knock sensor and only have the speedo problem, will I be running safety settings? I dont want to convert to electrical speedo. Some people from different shops told me that the only good way for me to get around the CEL was a stand alone or ROM chipped computer because the PR3 would just make me ping all day long and the others give me CEL, what do you think? True? I appreciate any help.
Old 10-12-2001, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What type of ECU to use? (ChrisOnePointSix)

The car shouldn't go in to safety mode because of the knock sensor. I could be wrong, I remeber a buddy running his without having the knock sensor and without o2 sensors and it ran fine, even VTEC.
Old 10-12-2001, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What type of ECU to use? (blueG2)

92-93 tegs are OBD 1 so you need a P30 or you could use a 'chipped' P28.
Old 10-13-2001, 01:51 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What type of ECU to use? (Davep)

92-93 tegs are OBD 1 so you need a P30 or you could use a 'chipped' P28.
Yup, and with the Mugen program in either ECU, it'll bypass the VSS and you'll be able to run and have VTEC engage w/out the speedo working.

Old 10-13-2001, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"The problem with a GSR computer is that my speedo is cable driven, not electrical."

That will not matter, I've used PR3s, and P72s in cars with both electrical and cable VSS, you have a wiring problem

"I hear the PR3 computer is a pile of crap."
Who told you that? Some uninformed idiot I'm sure. The PR3 maks just as much power as any newer DOHC VTEC ECU

"Even though there is a CEL on because of the speedo, does that mean that it is in safety mode. "
Yes, a code 17 will keep you from going into VTEC

"I know my car has been in safety mode because I do not have a knock sensor, but if I get a knock sensor and only have the speedo problem, will I be running safety settings?"
No, you will still have VTEC with a knock sensor code, but not with a VSS code.

"I dont want to convert to electrical speedo."
You don't have to.

"Some people from different shops told me that the only good way for me to get around the CEL was a stand alone or ROM chipped computer because the PR3 would just make me ping all day long and the others give me CEL, what do you think? True?"
They have no idea what they're talking about.
Old 10-13-2001, 08:06 AM
New User

Default Re: What type of ECU to use? (Jared)

To Jareds response, Katman posted this in the same thread in tech section
Keep this in mind too, whenever you get a check engine light, yes it's in safe mode.
Although some things on the engine still work - for instance, you can leave your KS disconnected and VTEC will still work. You also NEED the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in order to allow VTEC to work. VTEC mainly needs, coolant temp, VSS, & oil pressure to work.
Katman seems to be very well informed about ecus, I speak to various people every day and get a different answere from each of them about ecus.
Old 10-13-2001, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

simple just buy one of OBDI JDM Dohc vtec chipped ecus...
chipped with mugen program, no worries about knock, since it doesn't look for it makes more power then any stock honda ecu...dyno tested...

how much you ask

$150 US shipped...thats a complete OBDI ecu, chipped with mugen program 5.7k vtec, 8.8k rev limit...and aggressive fuel maps and iginition....made 10hp more then a spoon and JDM p30, on b16a with minor bolt ons...

as far as vtec, even if you use cable tranny there is no problems with vtec

longest its all conected connected properly all will work
p61 ecu from 92-3 gsr will work the same way as P30 or a jdm pr3-jo1....it makes no difference that the tranny is cable...the cable connects to the cluster which sends the signal back to ecu...which is no difference then electrical type....which also sends it to a cluster then back to ecu....it makes no difference

as far as knock sensor...if you get that code...you better fix it otherwise safe mode and no vtec....

[Modified by eg6ajk, 4:49 PM 10/13/2001]
Old 10-13-2001, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is that to my response? Katman said the exact same thing I told you.
Old 10-13-2001, 03:44 PM
New User

oh, I misinterpreted it then. Thak you all for all your help, I am finally getting my stuff fugured out.
Old 10-13-2001, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hope that helps sir, I replied to everything line by line for you, but I did forget to recommend an ECU. As the OBD1 P30 is hard to come by, just get a P28 and have it chipped to DOHC VTEC spec. That should work well for you.
good luck,
Jared
Old 10-13-2001, 04:37 PM
New User

ok, cool. I was thinking about getting that ecu before but someone said they will never have the same properties as a DOHC engine even after getting chipped so it won't be the BEST. I don't think he knows what he is talking about. It is at least worth a try, I am going to get a P28 soon. Most people say they are happy with that set up. I asked some other local tuners and they said the same, to use a chipped P28.
Old 10-13-2001, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is nothing, thats going to be different between a p28 and p30 other then knock sensor....
since a p28 doesn't have the ks board it can't use the any ks programs, simple as that...also once you rechip an ecu...the eprom or the chip holds, four simple things, inside, fuel and ignition maps as well as vtec and rev limit ponits...that is why its possible to rechip p28 to dohc vtec specs....without any ill effects...

if you need a ecu or have yours rechipped let me know...i have complete ecu rechipped cheaper then anyone can chip your old ecu...

[Modified by eg6ajk, 6:43 PM 10/13/2001]
Old 10-14-2001, 07:01 PM
New User

i agree use the p28 .thats what i use in my b16a driven hatch .havent had a problem yet .there good with some hondata u could set everything u need to to tune you car just right ,...good luck