Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track?

My name is matt and i have a 1997 honda civic ex

what engine should i swap it with, how hard is it and what do i need to do it (Like pumps etc...)

H22, B20B,or B18c1

Thanx
Old 04-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (tinkertime)

Just for the street? Don't waste your money, just turbo the engine you have now. You'll be able to make 200whp for a lot less than an engine swap would cost you.

That's all covered in the forced induction forum...
Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 AM

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (SovXietday)

how much faster would it be on that engine because that engine is slug
Old 04-20-2006, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just swap a b16 in there.. many performance options for it.. will feel extremely fast to u compared to that motor.. and a relativly cheap swap..
Old 04-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just for the street? Don't waste your money, just turbo the engine you have now. You'll be able to make 200whp for a lot less than an engine swap would cost you.

That's all covered in the forced induction forum...</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is a well-known fact that turbo D is not the most reliable setup in the world. True, D-series motors are cheap to replace when you blow them up. But not everybody wants to have to source and replace a motor every time their motor decides to give up the ghost. And the D16Y8 is actually not that cheap compared to non-VTEC Ds. As for your choices, it is difficult to say which is best. The B20B is going to be pretty good from a torque standpoint and pretty cheap. But it is also the slowest of the bunch (but still MUCH faster than what you have). The GSR is quite quick and has a good aftermarket. But it is expensive. The H22A is faster and cheaper than the GSR. But it is the most difficult to swap in. So make your decision based on these facts.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:07 PM

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (StorminMatt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StorminMatt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is a well-known fact that turbo D is not the most reliable setup in the world. True, D-series motors are cheap to replace when you blow them up. But not everybody wants to have to source and replace a motor every time their motor decides to give up the ghost. And the D16Y8 is actually not that cheap compared to non-VTEC Ds. As for your choices, it is difficult to say which is best. The B20B is going to be pretty good from a torque standpoint and pretty cheap. But it is also the slowest of the bunch (but still MUCH faster than what you have). The GSR is quite quick and has a good aftermarket. But it is expensive. The H22A is faster and cheaper than the GSR. But it is the most difficult to swap in. So make your decision based on these facts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
h22 isnt to hard to swap....just takes more time...and plus all the info u would need is on this site...just search
Old 04-26-2006, 05:11 PM

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (SohcPower)

do a little mix of all and do a b20 vtec...lots of torque and power. you can get a b20 bottom end for around $500 used with low miles and put a gsr or b16 head on it. That's what I would do. stay all motor!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 PM

B20B VTEC, SOUND GOOD
YOU GOT BOTH LOW END OF THE POWER BAND AND HIGH END.
B20B=$500
B16 HEAD= $500
Old 04-27-2006, 07:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (darkb20-562)

IMO, just save your money and buy a faster car. I went the H22 swap route, and don't get me wrong, its been a fun car. But in retrospect, the money I spent would have gone a lot farther had I saved it and bought something that runs 13's from the factory.

Of course everyone will offer you a different opinion, cause each has their own pro's and con's, and different people prefer different swaps.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:27 AM

i just want to make my car look good and be quicker than what it is right now because im used to going fast in my old car. but i crashed it and i was on a short budget so i didn't have much to work with.

Im also buying a mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 in 6 months and i dont wanna drive a slow car and i dont also wanna dump a lot of money into it. maybee like $5000 tops
Old 04-27-2006, 09:29 AM

where do you buy the b20b engine with a b16 head

and how hard is it to put a b16 head on that block
Old 04-27-2006, 10:07 AM
Shooting Star

Default Re: (tinkertime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tinkertime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where do you buy the b20b engine with a b16 head

and how hard is it to put a b16 head on that block</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not hard, it just takes some machining. If I was you boost the d http://www.turbod16.com
you will have a fast car.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Shooting Star

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMO, just save your money and buy a faster car. I went the H22 swap route, and don't get me wrong, its been a fun car. But in retrospect, the money I spent would have gone a lot farther had I saved it and bought something that runs 13's from the factory.

Of course everyone will offer you a different opinion, cause each has their own pro's and con's, and different people prefer different swaps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow never thought I would hear you say that. When all is said and done I wouldnt even begin to have enough money in my car to have money to buy a 13 sec factory car.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:13 AM

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (vtecspeed1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecspeed1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow never thought I would hear you say that. When all is said and done I wouldnt even begin to have enough money in my car to have money to buy a 13 sec factory car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

V8 camaro's aren't that expensive, and still have power steering and ac. I absolutely loved my car right after the swap, but I'm starting to trend away from heavily modified cars, things just break too often. If my swapped car wasn't my DD, I might feel differently though .
Old 04-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Shooting Star

I hope to dd my civic once i get the motor back together and the h2b. [B] V8 CAMARO wtf I should slap you......
Old 04-27-2006, 10:16 AM

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecspeed1320 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope to dd my civic once i get the motor back together and the h2b. [B] V8 CAMARO wtf I should slap you...... </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, just a cheap example.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

V8 camaro's aren't that expensive, and still have power steering and ac.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is true. BUT, remember that it is a VERY different kind of car from a Honda. And you may or may not like what comes along with the package. Quality issues aside, perhaps one of the biggest reasons many people like swapped Hondas is that they like a small and light car with alot of power. A Camaro is big and heavy. Yes, it has power. But it is not the same feeling driving a Camaro as driving, say, a CRX with a GSR or ITR swap. The same goes for pretty much ANY other car that will run 13s straight from the factory (the Lotus Elise being probably the ONLY exception here). Gas mileage is another consideration. Yes, the mileage of a Camaro is not too bad - for a 3500 pound car with a V8, that it. Needless to say, you are not going to see 30+MPG in the real world. And this is a concern with gas at well over $3.00/gallon. Now I'm not saying that someone who drives a Honda WON'T like a Camaro (or some other inevitably larger and heavier car that runs 13s from the factory). But it is a different driving experience. You can't say without driving one whether you will like it more than a Honda with a swap. Because for better or for worse, it is NOT going to be an exact replacement for a 13 second Honda with a swap.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (StorminMatt)

why would you want to buy a factory 13 second car that would be boring and what pride would you take when you crossed the quarter mile line knowing that it wasnt you that pulled the 13 it was the company that made the car. IMO i like the fealing of crossing the quarter mile line and using that time as my motivation to go home plot my next move and go to the track and beat my last time thats what were all here for in the first place is cuz we took the time money sweat blood tears test trial and were happy to say that we built our ****. rite guys????????
Old 05-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (DC2jdmIntegra)

and as far as the turbo the d or swap i personally just came from a turbo d and to put it in simple words thats why i did the swap. puting a turbo on your d is the most reliable car i guess if you like sitting on the side of the road waiting for the tow truck to get there so that you can get your **** towed back to the garage and now you have a turbo and no motor to put it on. save the money get yourself a swap you will thank your self trust me.
Old 05-03-2006, 10:39 AM

Default Re: What engine swap should i Do forstreet not track? (mikegeezy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikegeezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would you want to buy a factory 13 second car that would be boring and what pride would you take when you crossed the quarter mile line knowing that it wasnt you that pulled the 13 it was the company that made the car. IMO i like the fealing of crossing the quarter mile line and using that time as my motivation to go home plot my next move and go to the track and beat my last time thats what were all here for in the first place is cuz we took the time money sweat blood tears test trial and were happy to say that we built our ****. rite guys????????</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are assuming you can't mod a factory 13 sec car. For the amount of money I spent on my car, my swap, and bolt-ons to run 13's, I could have bought a camaro and enough mods to be in the 11's. StorminMatt made good points though, it won't handle the same and gas mileage would be worse, but that all depends on what you're looking to get out of your car.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Shooting Star

I know that nobody especially us honda guys, but srt-4s are factory 13 sec cars...you can mod them and dip low 12's high 11's...guy at the local 1/8th is running naaaawwwwzzzz dawwggg and ran a 7.8 on slicks.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtecspeed1320)

alright i see where your coming from with wanting to be a little faster on the street..i said the same thing.. (not thinking about gas prices).. but hey so i did my b18c1 into my 92 dx civic hatchback.. ya i was happy when i put that bad boy in.. and god damn do i walk a lot p.o.s. cars on the streets.. but with gas prices the way they are.. god damn it sucks on gas mileage.. id have to say b18c1 is the way to go.. just dont get stupid like i did and fill up 4 times in one week.. hahaha
Old 05-03-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: (CO_HaTcH)

gsr on crx has great gas/mileage vs a v8 24/7!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (darkb20-562)

i would say B18c..there just as easy to put in as a B16a but you have a little more power to start of with and more torque. that's if you purely what something easy to swap in.

A B20 is more expensive and a lot more fiddly to get set-up and an H22a you need different mounts and to cut holes and mount the shifter from a prelude in etc which is also more expensive and time consuming in the long run.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97hontegra)

definitely go for the H22.. torque ownz on the street.. and unless your doing a lot of freeway/interstate driving or something..go for displacement .. oh.. BTW ..i got an jdm h22a complete and running with mounts for eg/dc.. lmk if your interested