Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions...

Heres a few questions for those with firsthand H series swap experience...

1. What are the major issues if any you have noticed since the swap has been done?

2. There is much talk of the H series tranny being weak... How many of you beat on the H22 tranny (Shifting quickly,Power/Fll throttle shitfting)? How have the trannies held up? Any trans issues with your particular set up?

3. Do any of you have traction bar set ups? I know there were debates and issues over whether or not you can run traction bars...

4. Which mounts/axles are you using? Any problems with the mounts in terms of clearances or the IM hitting the firewall? Any axle braking issues?

5. Post your set ups and 1/4 mile times...

Ive seen many H motors get dropped in and know what is involved in the install but I know very little about the long term effects after the install which is why Im asking...

Modified by RS_H22 at 8:31 PM 11/9/2003
Old 11-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions... (RS_H22)

we have built 6 or 7 H22a integra/civics.. never had any problems.
1. no issues.
2. no problems with tranny yet. beat on the tranny all day.. no grinds or anything.
3. yes, traction bar set up will work. check out http://www.dtrfab.com
4. 89 integra axles with h22 prelude inner cups.
5. 94 civic ex full interior (174whp AEM & RSR exhaust) 13.98 @ 98
93 Civic DX coupe full interior (?whp with just AEM) 14.3 @ 98
Old 11-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions... (RS_H22)

1) really no issues at all except I need a usdm throttle cable. 2)slight grinding into 2nd gear when cold if I'm not exact with the shifter, but I havnt messed up in months, seems to be getting better for some reason 3)No traction bars but you can run Totems... 4) oem accord/integra set-up. no breaks yet. Hasport mounts no problems. 5) Set-up........93 civic si, 95 jdm h22, short ram, cam gears, adj fpr, fields vtec controller, Dc ceramic 4-2-1 header, test pipe, 2.25in piping, 5zigen muff, skunk2 adj springs, koni yellow adj shocks, falken azenis tires, rota 15 in slips, neuspeed upper front strut bar, skunk2 upper rear bar, susp techniques lower rear 19mm, spoon lower rear brace................mods on the way....spoon cf hood, AN-R street collector header(stainless).........1/4 time: 13.411@104.3........HP: 185.83 TQ: 155.07. This on a Dynojet dynamometer.....Any questions just ask...........John
Old 11-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions... (Downey)

Thank you for your responses... Any others?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:24 PM

JUST DO IT!!!
Old 11-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we have had our h22 in our civic for almost 2 years now...using hasport mounts...

no tranny issues...

we have used the competitoin engineering front end for a year now...

the DSS axles will take care of any axle problems
Old 11-09-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions... (tunedbylorange.com)

The one thing I dont like about the h22 swap is that the header hangs extremely low, and I can't lower my car as much as I'd like to without driving like 10mph under the speed limit on certain roads in town. Besides that everything has held up well on my car. Just do the swap you will have plenty of fun with it.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions... (Downey)

1. no problems.
2. no problems with tranny.
3. what downey said
4. 91 integra axles and 91 accord intermiate shaft and no problems with the axles
5. 92 honda civic hatchback cx 14.0@100 (mod: Injen shortram intake)
Old 11-09-2003, 05:05 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. No major issues, but then it depends on what chassis and what setup (FI, if any) that you're going to be running. If you have any specific questions, it's easier to answer, as the H22 swap is more common now and there's less "major" problems that people run into.

2. Never heard of a H-series tranny being "weak" as I've put a few of them through hell on the drag strip (launching hard on 22x7x13 slicks, with a 100 shot of NOS.... or driving another setup boosting 15 lbs on the track on 15" slicks), but no problems with the diff or syncros. I've even taken the same car on the road race course and beat the hell out of it, and no problems with the LSD diff to date.

3. Had Z10 and JimFab... neither fit on the EG chassis. Haven't tried or driven any H22 car with traction bars so I can't say any 1st hand noticable difference.

4. HCP -- More Info w/Pics Here. For axle combos, Click Here for axle info

5. 12.6 @ 109 mph all motor on 22x7x13 slicks. 11.5 @ 118 mph w/100 shot of NOS.

No "long term" problems..... that's like saying B-series motors into a CRX will have long term problems. If it's maintained and driven like any other Honda car, no problems then. I've had one in my 92 hatchback, have it in my 98 hatchback, and putting on my DC2 Si-VTEC.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions... (Newman)

for the header clearance...

well the stock header would be about 2 inchs lower than the oilpan, i since then put my hotshot on, after some alterations the pipes are only 5/8 lower than tha bottom of the pan.

anybody tell you that hotshot headers have clearance issues well don't know how to assemble stuff,

(The new design) well which is only a smaller collector... needs to have the block altered. the front needs about 3/8th of aluminum removed where teh bolt goes for the front mount (binds thats why header is crooked) . (PLENTY of material and doesn't hurt block strenght" afterwhich the oilpan needs some reshape, but otherwise i've yet to see a header fit so good. and this is a 4-1.

i will make a guide, and post pics soon.

for any clearance issues i'd go hotshot before stock... or until SMSP can have pics for clearances etc.

so far hotshot is the best. 4 pipes side by side. best fit ever.

Old 11-09-2003, 10:10 PM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions... (HotWheelz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HotWheelz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well the stock header would be about 2 inchs lower than the oilpan, i since then put my hotshot on, after some alterations the pipes are only 5/8 lower than tha bottom of the pan.

anybody tell you that hotshot headers have clearance issues well don't know how to assemble stuff,

(The new design) well which is only a smaller collector... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not their "race" version with a huge 3" collector... same thing I had in my car - http://www.JDMshit.com/hotshot-header/

Install was very tight, but I didn't have to modify the block. Rather, where the 2 pieces meet up (and clamp together) was not long enough or the downpipe/collector would be pointing downward to the ground and dragging. In order to straighten it up, you had to lower the front of the header, which gave a nice exhaust leak. Only solution to fixing the gap.... welding the 2 pieces together. Also, where the 4 primaries met up on the downpipe, it was touching the oil pan so you had to pound in the oil pan to make the header sit "straight" and parallel with the car, if you wanted to hook i tup to the rest of the exhaust.

The new design might be different, as the collector size is smaller (from the pictures that I've seen from others who have gotten it after me) but the difference is pretty noticable over the stock header. Is it worth it? Sure, if you're willing to make it work. But at the time when I got it, there was NO other "good" header out there.... no AN-R, no SMSP, no other headers.

Next one on my list to try out.... the H22A JUN header, as I can get one from a supplier friend .
Old 11-10-2003, 07:10 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. i have this bad habit of being the first guy to leave the line when the street lights change to green, and i hate it when people in slow mustangs and camaros try to keep up. no mechanical issues though.

2. that talk must come from B series peopel that dont know....I daily drive and beat on my junkyard h23a1 tranny without an issue, it grinds no more than the tranny on my gf's b18c1.

3. i want them badly...as soon as a find a set that will be guaranteed to fit ill haave them.

4. HCP mounts, driver side axle is a 90-93 teg axle, accord halfshaft (h22a swap i gto came out of an accord), and passenger side is an 86-89 teg axle with an accord inner joint. havent broken an axle yet but i have not laaunched too high yet eithehr. and clearance is tight but not had anything hit the firewall, or antyhing else on it.

5. i havent hit the 1/4 yet. so far my best on the 1/8 mile is an 8.9@80 mph with a 2.1 60 ft time with a 3500rpm launch (on 19 lb 17s with 215/40 tires at about 20 psi).

i have had the car running for a year and been daily driving for several month since my accord is dead in the water.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Nothing at all.

2. I beat on the H22 tranny and shift extremely quick, and have not grinded the gears once. This is still the same tranny and still in damn good condition. The only thing I have to complain for is the 2nd gear and 3rd gears. Which is why I'll be investing in the Euro R tranny.

3. Nope, I wish. I'll be getting some in February. Need 'em bad! Totem and JimFab I believe fits. I know Totems, do I am not sure on others..

4. HASport billet mounts. No issues at all. No axle breaking. I've launched on M/T 20x8x14's at 7500 RPM's and no axle issues at all.

5. My best ET thus far with only AEM ITR CAI, Walbro 255 lph fuel pump, spoon chip and open header (stock header), was 13.94 @ 98 MPH. This was at 4600 elavation feet above sea level, and with a 2.1 60 foot.

I was able to pull two 1.9's but I missed 4th gear half way down the track screwing up my ET.

As for today? Still running strong, and no problems at all. I've had the swap since Sept of 02 and love it.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Those with H series swaps... Read and answer these questions... (poison)

13.94 @ 98 MPH. This was at 4600 elavation feet above sea level, and with a 2.1 60 foot..... damn if thats not corrected thats a damn good time for 4600ft....I think thats a real low 13 or high 12......slicks? i know a guy in casper WY was running 14.7? i think..corrected that was 13.8? i think . if i recall correctly.......that was on street tires though in a b18c5 hatch.........Anyway nice times man, keep up the good work.