Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test pipe problems!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test pipe problems!!

1st off- i hate the way it sounds and im going to put on the cat next weekend, but
for now i have to live with it...basically my car is bogging at low rpms? BTW - with the test pipe i installed a greddy evo catback, yet i think that this problem is irrelevant to the bogging.
ok, installed test pipe couple days ago for my 98 obd2 prelude.. pipe was 2.5 and has nut welded on top for o2 sensor..

after install the car ran fine and nothing was wrong.. no CEL no problems at idle...After driving the car for a couple hours the CEL came on the freeway...

Yesterday im trying to take the test pipe off and the damn exhaust bolts just wont budge so im going to wait till my friend and i can use his air tools to zing them off..or just drill them off..

but after the failed attempt to put the cat back on the 1st time...i decided to reset the ecu so i took out the clock fuse?? ( is that even correct? ) and let it sit for about 15 minutes...starting my car back up with the pipe installed is causing the car to just bog at low rpms...in neutral if i rev to 3k, then it'll just go down to around 200..100 rpms and 30% of the time just die... i assumed the car was just remapping because i let it sit for about 8 minutes and the car ran fine..no CEL no problems...

today while driving i noticed the car was doing the bogging low rpm problem again? what can i do to stop this until i put the cat back on?

im thinking of a resistor or some other jerry rigging ideas.. but im sure h-t has a better idea?

Old 10-12-2003, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Test pipe problems!! (SsTiNgEr77)

weird, no idea about the bogg/test-pipe deal...

to reset the ecu, you just take the negative batter terminal off for about 10 minutes...
Old 10-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Test pipe problems!! (Tommyyy)

i've heard if you have OBD2 and run a true test pipe, the 2nd o2 sensor will throw a code. it has to do with the cat not beging in the cat, and throwing off the exhaust temp, and hydro carbons.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:52 PM
CleenSi

Default Re: Test pipe problems!! (cccya)

the sensor on my Si for the cat is right after the exhaust manifold flange.

but before any or the catalitic converter pieces.

it shouldnt be thrown off by that. im thinking you hit the 2nd O2 sensors and its all messed up...thats my only explanation. reason for thinkin g this is ebcause same thing happened to me, only mine was unplugged.

so my theory is that yours may be damaged, i hope not tho,

but good luck!