Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surging idle... WTF

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 08:14 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging idle... WTF

I just finished swapping a JDM B16 into my GSR, cheap replacement for a blown B18c. Everything appears to be hooked up just fine. The car runs great, pulls very hard and I am not disappointed in any way... except the fact that I cannot figure out this idle problem. I didn't have the o2 sensor plugged in and got a CEL, so I figured that was the culprit. Not the case- CEL is gone, but still idles funny. I also tried bleeding the coolant, no dice. All of the vacuum lines appear to be nice and tight, so I'm lost. Upon cold startup, the idle shoots to 3k, and stays for a few moments before surging between 1500-2500rpms. Once the car starts to warm up, it will surge between 1000-2000 or so. I have a chipped P28 ECU , and this might be the problem?? When I still had the B18c installed, I ran the P28 for a half hour to drive the car home from where it was parked, and the idle was funny on that motor as well. I summed that up to the fact that I had bent valves, but I can't understand why the same thing is happening with the B16. It's in great running condition and I know for a fact there's nothing wrong with the internals, ie valves. Any ideas on what's causing this to continue? It's driving me nuts and the only thing from keeping this swap 100%. Thanks fellas.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Surging idle... WTF (Dr.FeelgooDC2)

i hate this dam surging idle.... it comes up all the time... and i thought i had mine fixed.. but its not...

ok.. things to check

loose wires (grounds).
fast idle valve on top the throttle body.
distributor....
maybe try a different ecu...?...(if u can get ahold of one)

does it do this constantly or only in the cold weather?

my car surges from 1000 to 1500 in real cold or rainy weather with radio, defroster, and recirculation button on.. but once i turn off the defroster and recirculation button.. it levels out...