Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buying a swapped hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a swapped hatch

I may be looking at a EK hatch with a B18C1 already in it. It seems like a decent buy the kid only wants $5k for it. What are some big things I should look for since I dont really know a whole lot about swapped car
Old 01-20-2004, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a swapped hatch (JeremyL)

bad thing= it could have been raped by the previous owner and engine is running not too well
or like i did
i swapped my hatch out
and always took care of it , then i saw an offer for a ek, fully stock for a good deal, so i sold my car, and man its hard to tell
ask people on here
how you can check it out better
pEaCE
Old 01-20-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a swapped hatch (slowhatch4now)

check engine lights....oil leaks....blwoing oil....ghetto'ed wiring....body condition.....listen for unsual noises like knocking...that's just a start
Old 01-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: buying a swapped hatch (hybrid93SIvic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hybrid93SIvic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check engine lights....oil leaks....blwoing oil....ghetto'ed wiring....body condition.....listen for unsual noises like knocking...that's just a start</TD></TR></TABLE>

A lot of those things are hard to determine, especially for someone that's not familiar with what to look/listen for. If you're in doubt, have the person go over everything with you and ask lots of questions even if it's trivial stuff. Also if you have a friend that's knowledgeable, take him a long. I like to play dumb myself then catch people in their lies and make them feel stupid.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:08 PM
AGS
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a swapped hatch (JeremyL)

Everything they said already and... is the engine and trans legit? An EK with a C1 should be going for 7-9K i would think? Someone tell me if im wrong but thats what i think? Definitly make sure the engine is running well.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a swapped hatch (1999silverhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1999silverhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Everything they said already and... is the engine and trans legit? An EK with a C1 should be going for 7-9K i would think? Someone tell me if im wrong but thats what i think? Definitly make sure the engine is running well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I totally agree with you, Ek with B18c1 for 5 G's is too good to be true
Old 01-20-2004, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: buying a swapped hatch (Ngo Power)

compression test it, make sure you're ears get a workout while the engine is running as well. Make sure it drives proper as the problem[s] could be elsewhere, suspension/exterior/interior and the list continues.

Maybe he just needs to get rid of it? Just check it out, and take you're time deciding.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: buying a swapped hatch (hybrider)

yeah.. everything said already.. or u could take it to a trusted shop/ mechanic, get it put on a lift.. see how things look underneath it as well...

check....

-for accidents (make sure body panels line up, check engine bay, see if the framework looks dented or not straight in some odd way)
-has car been repainted?
-tires, uneven tread?
-papers for all work done to car?
-miles on car? miles on motor? (or at least what he says)

thats just stuff off the top of my head that i didnt see mentioned already.