Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staying legal...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2002, 08:05 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staying legal...

Well, I just spent all of my weekend trying to find a shop around my area MD.VA.DC that will work on my hybrid. I have been running a testpipe made for a B18C1 in my EH2. I hate it for several reasons, it stinks and it's illegal. I went to Meineke, Midas, Local welding shops so I can get the cat that came with my swap extended. Every single shop told me that they will not work on my car because of liability issues. Two of them said they can be charged $5000 if they install the integra cat in my civic. The other one just plain said "no." The one shop that would even touch my car said he would charge me $500 to put on a cat which I had to buy from him. What do I do? Please add any insight to keep me sane. Any of you guys weld? Can I send my cat to someone to be extended? I'm sure I'm not the first one to encounter this exhaust "gap" problem. THanx in advance.
Old 01-28-2002, 08:12 AM
New User

Default Re: Staying legal... (Guardson3r3)

I had the same problem. I lived in Hampton/Newport News. I wanted exhaust after my cat. All I had was the muffler hanging. I went to Brake King on Jefferson/Mercury Blvd. Go to the end of Mercury, take a right. Its on the right side. They made me a compete system for 70 bucks. No one cared, they got there money. Give them a try..
Old 01-28-2002, 09:22 AM
New User

Default Re: Staying legal... (9KRacer)

Thanx, but I was looking for someone closer, in the area that can do some welding. It seems that if I go to a "shop," they will turn me down because of liability issues, and fines, and blah blah blah. I have no clue how to get around the Hampton area either.
Old 01-30-2002, 05:06 AM
New User

Hampton is one of the cities on the way to Norfolk. You CANT miss the exit. It is about 7 miles before you get to the Hampton roads bridge tunnel. Mercury exit is right next to a mall.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:21 AM
New User

Default Re: Staying legal... (9KRacer)

Thanx 9K, I found a couple spots in Northern Va that I can check out. Hampton would be my last resort.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:35 AM
New User

I am sorry to say, but that is pretty damn stupid! So a cat from a different car is illegal? That makes no damn sense what so ever. More and more, I am glad I live in Georgia. You bring any cat to any place and they are happy to take your money and weld it on. Usually about $35. They don't care what you have on your car here, as long as it has something resembling a cat, and will pass the emmisions test.
Old 01-30-2002, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Staying legal...

Purchase a universal cat and go to a muffler shop and have them put it on.
Old 01-30-2002, 09:30 AM
New User

Default Re: Staying legal... (Big James)

I am sorry to say, but that is pretty damn stupid! So a cat from a different car is illegal? That makes no damn sense what so ever. More and more, I am glad I live in Georgia. You bring any cat to any place and they are happy to take your money and weld it on. Usually about $35. They don't care what you have on your car here, as long as it has something resembling a cat, and will pass the emmisions test.
Exactly!! I had it in my head that this would not be a big deal. I figured all they had to do was cut the rear flange of the cat off, weld on the necessary extension and put another flange on the end of that and install. Is that too much? Each shop gave me the same BS, liability and fine$$$. Spade, I'm not buying another cat when the one I have only has 9K miles on it and it's the cat made for the engine. The cat I have is practically brand new. I guess I'll have to keep looking or take a road trip to GA if I have to.
Old 01-30-2002, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What model civic do you have? I know it is illegal to move the position of your cat. On Dx's and Hx's the cat is close coupled to the engine. Instead of being under the car, it is next to the engine for faster cold start light off.

So, if you change your cat from being next to your engine, to underneath, that is illegal. However, you will still pass emissions....unless they do a visual.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Staying legal... (HXMan)

So, if you change your cat from being next to your engine, to underneath, that is illegal. However, you will still pass emissions....unless they do a visual.
... and if they know what they're looking at. I've never had any smog issues regarding my <ahem> not so legal car, even at the smog ref.. It's just something u have to gamble with, acting as if nothing is wrong.. In my experience, after the sniffer passes, the visual goes off without a hitch.. Everything is clean and looks as though it's correct..

About moving the smog, I have a EK DX hatch, and on the d16 motor, the cat is up in front of the exhaust manifold.. But when u have a swap, your car is smogged as (an Integra in this case), so the cat should be where the stock Integra one is.. Never heard of anything to the contrary..
Old 01-31-2002, 09:47 AM
New User

Default Re: Staying legal... (HXMan)

What model civic do you have? I know it is illegal to move the position of your cat. On Dx's and Hx's the cat is close coupled to the engine. Instead of being under the car, it is next to the engine for faster cold start light off.

I have a 00 B18C1 in my 93 hatch. I have stock headers mated to a testpipe mated to my tanabe rm. My cat is under the car. The shops are saying that I need to put a civic cat because I have a civic, even after I told them I have an integra engine.
Old 01-31-2002, 10:08 AM
B18C-EJ1

I have a 00 B18C1 in my 93 hatch. I have stock headers mated to a testpipe mated to my tanabe rm. My cat is under the car. The shops are saying that I need to put a civic cat because I have a civic, even after I told them I have an integra engine.
Total bullsh*t. Anyways, I can get you a cat that is a bolt on for your hatchy. We've had them custom made, it's 2.25" in diameter, and high flow. If you're using a factory header, it'll have to be modified to work, but if you're using a DC or similar GSR header, it'll work fine.

IM me if you want more info.
Old 01-31-2002, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Staying legal... (B18C-EJ1)

Total bullsh*t. Anyways, I can get you a cat that is a bolt on for your hatchy. We've had them custom made, it's 2.25" in diameter, and high flow. If you're using a factory header, it'll have to be modified to work, but if you're using a DC or similar GSR header, it'll work fine.

IM me if you want more info.
I know, I can't believe this goes on.. It's only gonna get worse, too.. It's up to people like us to let them know about THEIR OWN PROFESSION.. I can understand though, that alot of these shops are getting fined for not abiding by the rules, and they'd rather be safe and turn ppl away then LEARN what's up and handle it..

I remember when guys that *knew about cars* worked at exhaust shops.. The types of guys that put in 10 hours at the exhaust shop while they wrenched on a built ****** under a car cover in the corner.. ahwell
Old 01-31-2002, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Staying legal... (HKxBlur)

Why dont you try a spped shop that does work in your area. Or an import place that sells and installs parts. They are usually pretty flexible, cause they want yo money
Old 02-01-2002, 05:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Staying legal... (2001silvergsr)

Why dont you try a spped shop that does work in your area. Or an import place that sells and installs parts. They are usually pretty flexible, cause they want yo money
I've thought about that as well, the reason I haven't tried them is because they know I've been turned down by the exhaust shops and they will try to rape me as hard as they can. I will call around and get some quotes.