Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRI= Better top end vs. CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 05:01 PM
LDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRI= Better top end vs. CAI?

Is this true and does anyone have 1/4 mile times or dyno to proove the difference?

h22/b16/b18 but h22 mainly please.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

according to my butt dyno, the cai feels a lot better top end
Old 10-22-2005, 06:35 PM
LDS

I think CAI pulls better top end also but I have a friend who has built several mustang motors ( I know) and his car runs 11s all motor at 117 mph. He has been reserching motor theory for 10 years and he says the short ram should pull slightly harder cause the motor has to work a lilttle harder to pull air from the CAI.
He explaind it to me as if you were sucking water through a straw would you want a 1ft or a 5ft straw? I said the 1ft straw cause I would have to work less. He says the same concept applies to motors when it comes to CAI or SRI.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

only way to tell is with dyno/track numbers
Old 10-23-2005, 09:48 AM
LDS

I know thats why Im asking if anyone has numbers/times but I dont think anyone on here does.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (LDS)

I doubt anyone has dyno numbers of both, since the difference is negligible. In theory though, SRI will move more air through the motor at high rpm's (more top-end), than a CAI (so a CAI should make more mid-range power). The question is whether or not the temp difference of the air will make up for the more restrictive design of the CAI. Either way, they are really close in power.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:53 PM
LDS

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt anyone has dyno numbers of both, since the difference is negligible. In theory though, SRI will move more air through the motor at high rpm's (more top-end), than a CAI (so a CAI should make more mid-range power). The question is whether or not the temp difference of the air will make up for the more restrictive design of the CAI. Either way, they are really close in power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree . But if your driving down the freeway at say 70-80 ,mph it wont be TOO hot in the engine bay So SRI would be good for top end race in the senario. But at the track where your sits for a few mintutes or if you heat up the engine bay by doing a massive burnout before you run can result in the CAI making more power. So I guess there is good and bad in both.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (LDS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I agree . But if your driving down the freeway at say 70-80 ,mph it wont be TOO hot in the engine bay So SRI would be good for top end race in the senario. But at the track where your sits for a few mintutes or if you heat up the engine bay by doing a massive burnout before you run can result in the CAI making more power. So I guess there is good and bad in both.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I run a SRI, at the track I take out my headlight and attach a velocity stack to the intake right behind where the headlight was. Best of both worlds for the track .
Old 10-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run a SRI, at the track I take out my headlight and attach a velocity stack to the intake right behind where the headlight was. Best of both worlds for the track .</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that works best imo...too bad i cant do it on the street without po po bothering me
Old 10-24-2005, 04:04 PM
LDS

I did 2 SRIs (when the car was SOHC) to get the tube out the headlight cause I didnt have a velocity stack. Between the headlight tube and open header I gained 2 mph and .3 at the track but like i said, that was when i was SOHC. I cant wait to do that with the H motor. Yeah!!!