Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun Bearings in Ls/Vtec

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun Bearings in Ls/Vtec

Hey i am running a ls/vtec setup.... and well i have spun multiple rod bearings in the past month. Every one is on the #4 piston. I am not sure what the cause is, I have inspected the motor various times and I can not find anything that is creating the bearing to go. I replaced the bearing the first time it went, and took the car out and immediately the bearing went, so i tore the motor apart and found that it was the #4 piston again. So i replaced it again and then the motor was fine for a few thousand miles. Now again the bearing goes on me, I now rip the car apart again replace the bearing with oem bearing and the car burns that bearing right away. Please help.... ??? I am clueless on why this keeps happening.
Thanks
Mike
Old 11-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spun Bearings in Ls/Vtec (hyintegrity)

to make a long story short ....the rod prolly stretched ...and if this this has happened multiple times the crankshaft should be check on the #4 rod journal
Old 11-09-2003, 06:45 AM

Default Re: Spun Bearings in Ls/Vtec (K20EG)

First off, after you spun the bearing the first time, did you get your crank turned?

Second, what crankpully are you using?
Old 11-09-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After the spun bearings have you measured the mains in the block and on the crank to make sure they are within spec and round?Did any of the previous spun bearings cause any damage?Hard to imagine 3 spun bearings and no damage.Are you using the same bolts?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Spun Bearings in Ls/Vtec (fkned)

The crank has no damage because I have inspected it multiple times and everytime it went the car was nearby my house so very little driving on the spun bearing. I know this is really dumb but i dont have my stock crank pulley anymore so I am running a unorthodox crank pulley. That might be a problem with balance but i have heard mixed reviews.... I have been wondering about the rod but i havent had time to inspect and i dont know what to look for in the rod? I also have swapped cranks thinking it was the crank and after about 1000 miles the bearing spun again. Yes i am using the same bolts, they are the arp rod bolts... I was goin to plastigage the rod bearing.... any other ideas? or conclusions?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Take the rod or rods in question to a shop so they can check the roundness with a dial bore gauge.Usually when there is a bearing problem on the rod it from the big end egging and scraping the oil from the journal at the cap mating points.Plastigauge will only tell the clearence not if the rod or crank is round.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Spun Bearings in Ls/Vtec (fkned)

The onorthodox pully could have been the orginal problem but once a bearing spins, you have to get the crank turned, otherwise it is just going to happen again. Buy an OEM crank pulley, get the crank turned, buy a new set of bearings, put everything back together, should be good for another 100K+ miles.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:23 PM

If you take everything out, might as well resize the rods with the arp bolts if you haven't already and polishe the crank journals, they don't cost that much... Maybe rebalance everything as well... I would take my time on this one