Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoon? That is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon? That is the question!

Hey, i was thinking of buying a Spoon B18C (JDM TYPE-R) Engine and i was doing some thinking. Do you guys think it is worth the money to go with a Spoon Engine or would i be better of just going with a JDM B18C straight from Honda of Japan? Please let me know before i make any decisions. Any help will be greatly appreciated...
Old 08-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Spoon? That is the question! (TheJDMGuy)

PUT DOWN THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS

WALK AWAY FROM THE MOVIE

spoon is overpriced ****, nothing they make is that ******* amazing to warrant you spending 10+k on JUST AN ENGINE.

and IMO you sound like a JDM ***** wannabe. just because it comes from japan dosent mean its the greatest thing on the face of the planet.

Old 08-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spoon? That is the question! (Kamin)

typical HT response.

yes paying that much for a motor that isn't made to last is retarded.

Yes you can build a motor that will perform as well if not better than a Spoon motor and it will last longer.

I think the Spoon hate is a lil played out already. I mean think about it, Mugen makes basically the same shiet and it costs the same if not more but you don't see anyone on here beating mugen over the head on a daily basis.

I just don't get it.........

Actually having spoon anything isn't "cool" anymore so that makes it ok in my book.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon? That is the question! (Trey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Trey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">typical HT response.

yes paying that much for a motor that isn't made to last is retarded.

Yes you can build a motor that will perform as well if not better than a Spoon motor and it will last longer.

I think the Spoon hate is a lil played out already. I mean think about it, Mugen makes basically the same shiet and it costs the same if not more but you don't see anyone on here beating mugen over the head on a daily basis.

I just don't get it.........

Actually having spoon anything isn't "cool" anymore so that makes it ok in my book. </TD></TR></TABLE>
im sorry if you didnt like my response but was i wrong? give me a break
and i will bash mugen just as much as spoon

700 ******* dollars for A VALVE COVER

stupid....

people will pay anything for a name.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:59 PM

Where do you get the 10k price tag from??

The Engine is STOCK B18C R with tighter tolerences yeilding about 10 more usable HP than Stock.
It is Just the engine and the cost is rather Steep for a Long Block. 3800 plus Shipping.
I would not call this engine a POS in no form of the words is it that. The engine will Last Just as long as anyother STOCK B18c R.
Spoons Mission is to provide Streetable Power for people that go to the track but Drive on the Street. Balance between Power and Longevity have always been a goal there.

If you want QUALITY you will have to pay for it. Personally I purchased a JDM B18c R and I rebuilt it with all Spoon Components well minus the 1300 dollar rocker assy.

The engine will put out close to 200 well tuned WHP. Tested this with two other friends engines and Both are yeilding more than 200 WHP with very similar setups.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon? That is the question! (Spoond TEG)

im talking about their crate race engine. not just the practically stock ITR engine. but that is still overpriced to hell 4000$ for a longblock?

i would never build an engine with spoon components, the same if not BETTER parts can be found here in america, for cheaper.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im talking about their crate race engine. not just the practically stock ITR engine. but that is still overpriced to hell 4000$ for a longblock?

i would never build an engine with spoon components, the same if not BETTER parts can be found here in america, for cheaper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I also agree for the most part. The fact that if someone comes to a message board and needs to ask "should I buy a Spoon engine or a JDM B18C" says that they aren't ready for an engine swap at all. They associate Spoon with "THE BEST" only because it was in a movie.... I'm not going to waste time trying to educate but I don't feel the need to discriminate either. To each his own....
Old 08-12-2003, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Spoon? That is the question! (VTECVillain)

J's racing makes a pretty dope crate engine. $9975 CDN.
http://www.boomplustoys.net
Old 08-12-2003, 05:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im talking about their crate race engine. not just the practically stock ITR engine. but that is still overpriced to hell 4000$ for a longblock?

i would never build an engine with spoon components, the same if not BETTER parts can be found here in america, for cheaper.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh that must be the one they forgot to put in their catalog.
Okay I rebuilt the whole engine
HG, Valves, Springs, Cams,Pistons, Rings,Rods Etc etc... Well I did my own labor so it cost less but it cost me about 1800 in parts.
I paid 1200 for the engine. I know I got an excellent deal on that. NO it wasn't stolen. I purchased it direct from Japan. 98 spec ITR with Spoon Parts for 4 grand. I don't think I could have a better deal.

Quote:I also agree for the most part. The fact that if someone comes to a message board and needs to ask "should I buy a Spoon engine or a JDM B18C" says that they aren't ready for an engine swap at all. They associate Spoon with "THE BEST" only because it was in a movie.... I'm not going to waste time trying to educate but I don't feel the need to discriminate either. To each his own....
Spoon isn't the BEST cause of some movie that it was mentioned in. Spoon is a top quality Company and it has gotten a good name in Japan from the many top quality services they perform o and off the track.
If people want to buy Spoon or Mugen or J's let them. Don't be so down on them.
I mean there is no right or wrong in all of this. Even if I paid 5000 to outfit my engine with Spoon SO WHAT!!! My Engine, My Money.

If you want to make a suggestion and in your experience or opinion then by all means do so. But you don't have to BASH another product to get your point across. That's another thing I like about Spoon. If you go there you ask them to compare with another product Like Jun or Toda and they will NEVER (atleast in my experience) Talk down about the other product. They will only Highlight the Great things about their own product and to me that is good business.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon? That is the question! (Spoond TEG)

This kid walked in, his FIRST post talking about how he wants a spoon engine, links to jdmhondaparts in his sig, has JDM in his username then says he wants an engine from honda of japan.

he IS a jdm *****. i have no respect for people like that. sure he may want to learn but jumping on the newest thing just because its "hot" isnt the way to do it.

i may have come off a little harsh and i apoligize for that, but im so incredibly sick of hearing people talk about their newest JDM part, their JDM black wheels, JDM wind visors, JDM amber lights it just sickens me.

its gotten far too out of control.

Old 08-12-2003, 05:58 PM

No, actually I prefer forks. It's much easier to stab my food and eat it rather than scouping it up with a Spoon.

Old 08-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Well the original topic's starter did not say "Spoon crate race engine" did he?

Nope.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:50 PM

I think all you guys out there saying BS are complete IDIOTS. All i wanted to know is which one would be better (no just performance wise)! Also, i had NO IDEA that Spoon was in any movie, so whoever said it needs to rethink that statement. I honestly dont give a sh*t if u dont like Spoon or what you do like. Just wanted to know which you guys perfered. So dont trash talk because u have nothing else to say but "you only want Spoon products only because they were in a movie" and "you sound like a JDM wanabe" because you know nothing about me. Im sorry if i offended you buy making my name with "JDM" in it or making a post about anything "JDM". Maybe you should learn a bit about TRUE products then talk sh*t, also next time i decide to talk about anything "JDM" i will ask for your permission if thats ok? Just because i have only 1 post doesnt mean im new to the forums or know nothing about cars. I bet ive been viewing these forums longer than some of you. I just never had the time to join even though it takes 2 minutes. Sorry if i cant spend 24/7 of my life on the forum and have 9482394 posts like some of you. I guess im hated and called useless names cause i HAVE a life. Thats just the childish side of some of you that most of you wont grow out of. You've stated your opinion, heres mine. To all the sh*t talkers...f*ck you! To everyone else...thanks.

Modified by TheJDMGuy at 3:31 AM 8/13/2003
Old 08-13-2003, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheJDMGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think all you guys out there saying BS are complete IDIOTS. All i wanted to know is which one would be better (no just performance wise)!</TD></TR></TABLE>
so why only list honda of japan and spoon?! there are TONS companies that make products that will blow spoon a new ******* in the performance category. not to mention save you alot of money.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Also, i had NO IDEA that Spoon was in any movie, so whoever said it needs to rethink that statement. I honestly dont give a sh*t if u dont like Spoon or what you do like. Just wanted to know which you guys perfered. So dont trash talk because u have nothing else to say but "you only want Spoon products only because they were in a movie" and "you sound like a JDM wanabe" because you know nothing about me. Im sorry if i offended you buy making my name with "JDM" in it or making a post about anything "JDM". </TD></TR></TABLE>

you have never seen the fast and the furious? i find that hard to belive. 99.9% of the people on here have seen it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Maybe you should learn a bit about TRUE products then talk sh*t, </TD></TR></TABLE>
i DO know what im talking about, thats why im telling you. eithre way you do it IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY. look, do you know the only major diffrence between the JDM equivilant of the USDM motors? about .2 compression because they can get GOOD octane gas. you need to understand, 95% of JDM stuff is overrated and overpriced. once again, just because it comes from japan dosent mean its the best. so YOU need to do more research on "true" products.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I guess im hated and called useless names cause i HAVE a life. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok see that pisses me off, and its the only reason for this reply. what makes you think people who have alot of posts dont have a life? you know while im at work i usually have access to honda tech and I LIKE TO HELP PEOPLE. thats why i post here. so dont think just because someone has alot of posts they have no life and spend their entire life on HT.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Thats just the childish side of some of you that most of you wont grow out of. You've stated your opinion, heres mine. To all the sh*t talkers...f*ck you! To everyone else...thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE> i already apologized and ill do it again. but you need to do a little research before you go asking questions like this.

no hard feelings
Old 08-13-2003, 03:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TheJDMGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think all you guys out there saying BS are complete IDIOTS. All i wanted to know is which one would be better (no just performance wise)! Also, i had NO IDEA that Spoon was in any movie, so whoever said it needs to rethink that statement. I honestly dont give a sh*t if u dont like Spoon or what you do like. Just wanted to know which you guys perfered. So dont trash talk because u have nothing else to say but "you only want Spoon products only because they were in a movie" and "you sound like a JDM wanabe" because you know nothing about me. Im sorry if i offended you buy making my name with "JDM" in it or making a post about anything "JDM". Maybe you should learn a bit about TRUE products then talk sh*t, also next time i decide to talk about anything "JDM" i will ask for your permission if thats ok? Just because i have only 1 post doesnt mean im new to the forums or know nothing about cars. I bet ive been viewing these forums longer than some of you. I just never had the time to join even though it takes 2 minutes. Sorry if i cant spend 24/7 of my life on the forum and have 9482394 posts like some of you. I guess im hated and called useless names cause i HAVE a life. Thats just the childish side of some of you that most of you wont grow out of. You've stated your opinion, heres mine. To all the sh*t talkers...f*ck you! To everyone else...thanks.

Modified by TheJDMGuy at 3:31 AM 8/13/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are 16. This forum is pretty harsh (obviously) on things posted like this...

A lot of the time, when someone posts up a question about something, you must search for the answer first before you ask, because it was probably answered before. If you cannot find it, then by all means post about it, and we'll be glad to help...

However, questions like this, have been asked before many times, and also you can search around to find out what motor you want specifically, and actually learn a **** load of information just reading what has already been posted.

About the JDM thing, I could careless. I never said anything about that. You just posted up "Spoon? That is the question!", when you could have researched the issue on these forums, find out specs, what you do to swap into your car (depending on what car you have), and learn from there. If there is some thing that is unanswered, then by all means ask the question, put up a THREAD TITLE that applies to what you are going to ask. No "Spoon? That is the question!" type deal asking about Spoon engines. Something like "What would be better for boost B16 or B18" type deal would be more logical.

As for spending 24/7 of life being on this board -- guess what? I have a life too. You also are in school (or better be). Don't talk to me about having a life.

Just FYI man, you are not hated. Just be cautious on what you post, research for your questions before asking, and you'll be fine.

For the last statement, f*ck you too and you're very welcome for helping you out.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

spoon just buys parts from honda, cleans them and weighs them and reassemble the motors with parts that are equal in weight resulting in a balanced engine......if you want to spen d more money on a honda motor that has been blue printed and balanced then go for it.......do we care how much money you are going to waste if you cant research and find things out for your self????? by the way is this going into your first car????? why dont you spend some money on driving lessons,auto cross, or other instruction so you can learn how to drive before you get a car with too much power and you put it into a pole
Old 08-13-2003, 04:00 PM

I agree this "JDM" FAD has gotten way out of hand. But let;s not forget that there are People out there who know what they want and have good reasons to want "JDM" Products.
What do you expect? A new User. All we see hear and READ now days is JDM this JDM that. Look in the member list and I'd say 1/4 of the member on HT have something to do with JDM, Spoon, MUGEN or something like that.

Yes you came off a bit strong, but atleast you admit it

For the Original poster: Unfortunately you have to cme to expect a flaming when you are new and you post about Spoon or other JDM brands.
What you must realize is that Spoon Mugen J's racing an other such JDM brands have been more associated with a Fashion Statement more so than with actual performance. It's a sad reality.
I have Spoon parts on my car NOT as a Fashion statement. But cause I believe in the parts and i got them for a good price. Good luck and I hope this doesn't drive you from MB.

Question: How or where do yo suppose you can get a Full JDM B18C NEW from Honda of Japan?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:08 PM

Default Re: (cletus)

So many elitists, so little bandwidth.

Honestly man, as much as I like Spoon stuff, (yes I've used it in competition), it's not the be-all of Honda goods. Nuespeed makes a better tower bar for (what used to be) half the price. Go for something like that J's motor. Nobody is going to have that piece in their ride. Spoon is getting to be a dime a dozen. their stuff is good, but their is better. Try Backyard Special for that JDM fix.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Re: (REVHARD_EF)

Spoon never claimed to be the BEST FASTEST OUT THERE.

I nor anyone else here has claimed that Spoon is the Fix all to your automotive needs.

I like their Concept and what most people here have to realize is that Spoon Makes parts for MOST PEOPLE's NEEDS.
Lots of people out here with Skunk2 Stage III andcan't 1/2 way tune the engine to realize the power.
Most people here haven't even reached the full potential of their STOCK Engines

There is a Guy on this MB with a 2.0l B18c with 250 hp and running 13's
There is MORE to a Car than engine parts and HP. Why do you need a full race engine to put around the street in? Pointless.
I had the Nuespeed STB before I changed to the Spoon Unit and I have to say there is NO difference IMO.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:04 PM

Default Re: (Spoond TEG)

Hey TheJDMGuy. I've stopped reading the rest of the posts, because I don't really have the time to listen to anymore bickering. To answer your question, plain and simple. Spoon makes good stuff. If you want to drop the money on whatever the hell you are looking for, then go ahead and do it. If you have that kind of cash just lying around then go ahead and spend it. Personally, if I was given the choice between a spoon built engine and a factory JDM B18C GSR, I'd get the Spoon. I have a JDM B18C in my car and I love it, but if I could afford a "Spoon engine" then I would have bought that.

Hope this helps. Good Luck making your decision!
Old 08-18-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Re: (Spoond TEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Spoond TEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I had the Nuespeed STB before I changed to the Spoon Unit and I have to say there is NO difference IMO. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The Spoon one does look a lot better.