Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shed some light on crx suspension please..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 02:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shed some light on crx suspension please..

Well we all know dc2/eg stuff can be swapped with no modifications/minimal modifications. It just so happens it's easier to find stuff for those cars than for EF's and cheaper too. I've heard the lca for 88crx si was the same as itr.. Well I just want to know if suspensions can be "swapped" like using coilovers made for an eg on an EF... specifically a 1990 Si. If not, what would be needed to use eg/dc2/ek coilovers/shocks/springs? Just lca/uca?
Old 12-04-2003, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: shed some light on crx suspension please.. (.jefs0ng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .jefs0ng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well we all know dc2/eg stuff can be swapped with no modifications/minimal modifications.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes and no, the ride height is affected because the spring height between the EF and EG/DC/EK is different. The front struts are physically smaller in diameter also.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've heard the lca for 88crx si was the same as itr.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All 1988 Civic's and CRX's came with the JDM style lca's, where the strut mounts through the arm instead of forked over it. This of course if the same style used on the JDM model EF/EG/DA/DC/EK etc. The USDM ITR uses the standard 89+ style rear lca's.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I just want to know if suspensions can be "swapped" like using coilovers made for an eg on an EF... specifically a 1990 Si.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are referring to the "sleeve" type coilovers then yes, they will mount onto the EF struts just the same.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what would be needed to use eg/dc2/ek coilovers/shocks/springs? Just lca/uca?</TD></TR></TABLE>

To use a complete front strut/spring or true coilover from a EG/DC/EK, you will also need the EG/DC/EK strut fork. The rears will mount the same, that is if you have 89+ style rear lca's.
Old 12-04-2003, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there are certain benefits to running an eg/dc suspension on your ef. one being that you get a lot more choices in components to run and another being that since the eg/dc shock bodies are shorter, its exactley like using a shorter stroke shock thus increasing suspension travel. on your ef for the front you would need to use the shock of your choice and the coinciding fork. for the rear you would use the shock of your choice and the correct style lower control arm. the 88 crx rear lower control arms are like the jdm style lower control arms. i do have an extra set of those if you are interested. i also have an extra set of eg front forks.
Old 12-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Banned

Default Re: shed some light on crx suspension please.. (DaStyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

To use a complete front strut/spring or true coilover from a EG/DC/EK, you will also need the EG/DC/EK strut fork. The rears will mount the same, that is if you have 89+ style rear lca's.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So I guess best thing to do, if I wanted that type of suspension would be to go to a yard and pick apart and swap?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaStyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are certain benefits to running an eg/dc suspension on your ef. one being that you get a lot more choices in components to run and another being that since the eg/dc shock bodies are shorter, its exactley like using a shorter stroke shock thus increasing suspension travel. on your ef for the front you would need to use the shock of your choice and the coinciding fork. for the rear you would use the shock of your choice and the correct style lower control arm. the 88 crx rear lower control arms are like the jdm style lower control arms. i do have an extra set of those if you are interested. i also have an extra set of eg front forks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I have more 'access' and easier access really.. to the eg/dc/ek stuff. So if I wanted let's say.. a type-r suspension.. I'd get the type-r forks and lcas correct? So all in all this isn't too "hard" of a swap? Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am actually running DC Ground Control Coilovers on my 89 CRX Si, with AGX shocks for the crx. Only thing I had to do was flip the sleeve over on the coilover works great, and a lot stiffer too.