Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick questions about GSR swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick questions about GSR swap

car is a 00 civic dx, motor is obd1 gsr, using 99-00 si harness and part of gsr harness. is there going to be some extra plugs since im using a obd2 harness?

and anyone got a picture of what a 99-00 si dizzy plug on the harness looks like? i think this is it but not sure cuz it looks totally different than my dseries and gsr.

red= dizzy?
green= where does this go?

where do these go?

and are these supposed to be extra?

is this the IAT plug?

Modified by Dudikoff at 5:41 PM 3/3/2007
Old 02-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u would need to hook up the IAB only i believe
Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Quick questions about GSR swap (zoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">got some questions. the car is a 00 dx civic and complete 94 gsr swap. this is what i got for the swap, obd2 to obd1 ecu harness, chipped ecu for the motor, innovative 75a motor mounts, 00 si engine harness, gsr harness is still intact on the motor, 99-00 si rear l bracket and si driver side bracket.

what all do i need to do to merge the si harness and gsr harness so it can work?

is there anything else i need/missing for the motor to go in and running? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You will need take these plugs from the GSR harness and apply them to the Si harness:

- distributor plugs
color match the wires and splice

- injector plugs

- alternator plug

You don't need to worry about the IACV plug as EKB16 suggested, this is not necessary as the Si IACV plug is a 2-wire IACV plug, exactly like the GSR IACV plug.

An optional suggestion is to sell or trade the OBD1 GSR distributor, injectors, and alternator for 99-00 Si distributor, alternator, and injectors. Doing this will make these parts plug n' play to your Si harness. No need to cut and splice...
Old 02-27-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Quick questions about GSR swap (Katman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You will need take these plugs from the GSR harness and apply them to the Si harness:

- distributor plugs

- injector plugs

- alternator plug

You don't need to worry about the IACV plug as EKB16 suggested, this is not necessary as the Si IACV plug is a 2-wire IACV plug, exactly like the GSR IACV plug.

An optional suggestion is to sell or trade the OBD1 GSR distributor, injectors, and alternator for 99-00 Si distributor, alternator, and injectors. Doing this will make these parts plug n' play to your Si harness. No need to cut and splice... </TD></TR></TABLE>

but wouldn't doing that make it obd2? i want to convert to stay obd1 and change my car to obd1.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:56 PM

or anyone got a good write up for what im doing?
Old 02-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Quick questions about GSR swap (zoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but wouldn't doing that make it obd2? i want to convert to stay obd1 and change my car to obd1.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the only difference is the clips would fit the injectors, and your dizzy and alt. would plug right in with no spliciing of wires
Old 02-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick questions about GSR swap (egsleepercivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egsleepercivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the only difference is the clips would fit the injectors, and your dizzy and alt. would plug right in with no spliciing of wires </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly!

Dudikoff,
you can still run the OBD2 to OBD1 jumper & OBD1 ecu if you use an OBD2 engine wire harness.....the OBD1 ecu is compatible with OBD2 wiring and electronics...
Old 02-28-2007, 02:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

exactly!

Dudikoff,
you can still run the OBD2 to OBD1 jumper & OBD1 ecu if you use an OBD2 engine wire harness.....the OBD1 ecu is compatible with OBD2 wiring and electronics...</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow didn't know that.

- distributor plugs

- injector plugs

- alternator plug

An optional suggestion is to sell or trade the OBD1 GSR distributor, injectors, and alternator for 99-00 Si distributor, alternator, and injectors. Doing this will make these parts plug n' play to your Si harness. No need to cut and splice... </TD></TR></TABLE>

so i still need to do all that, but don't neccesarly have to do the optional correct and still be obd1?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quick questions about GSR swap (Dudikoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dudikoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so i still need to do all that, but don't neccesarly have to do the optional correct and still be obd1?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You need to perform these mods if you keep the Si harness and keep the mentioned OBD1 electronics intact, yet you can convert to OBD1 no problem.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:16 PM

You need to perform these mods if you keep the Si harness and keep the mentioned OBD1 electronics intact, yet you can convert to OBD1 no problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since the gsr harness is still intact on the motor, should I remove and put the si harness on it? Or just leave the gsr harness as is and work from there?

pm'ed you also, need help quick

Modified by Dudikoff at 11:35 PM 3/1/2007
Old 03-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dudikoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Since the gsr harness is still intact on the motor, should I remove and put the si harness on it? Or just leave the gsr harness as is and work from there?

pm'ed you also, need help quick
</TD></TR></TABLE>

PM'd...

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that you cannot use any Integra engine wire harness (or 92-95 civic harness for that matter) in a 96-00 civic. The harness is incompatible with an EK chassis because of its 2-piece design. EK engine wire harnesses use a 1-piece design, meaning the engine harness has no break off points and leads from the engine all the way to the ecu, hence the reason EK wire harnesses have ECU plugs on them.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:36 PM

Replied
Old 03-02-2007, 08:31 PM

so many damn plugs and don't know where half
Old 03-03-2007, 12:48 PM

edited first post!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:29 PM

Ok the the red is the dizzy and the green is the thermostat ground. Now the colors off the si dizzy plug does not match up witht he colors off the gsr dizzy plug. What am I supposed to do?
Old 03-04-2007, 01:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

red= dizzy?
green= where does this go?

As you said, red = dizzy plug
green= engine wire harness ground (to thermostat area).

Here's an image of an OBD2 B-series dizzy plug which exactly the same as an Si dizzy plug:
http://www.ff-squad.com/tech/i...y.jpg

What sucks for you is that the 99-00 SOHC engine wire harness uses a smaller dizzy plug, whereas all 96-98 SOHC civic engine wire harnesses use the bigger style dizzy plug (exactly like all OBD2 B-series dizzy plugs as shown above). I have no idea why Honda switched to a smaller dizzy plug on the 99-00 SOHC civics...really weird..but why this sucks for you is that you can't carry over your SOHC dizzy plug to the swap your doing in aiding in finishing the wiring for the swap, which you could've if you owned a 96-98 civic.

The 2 images below, to me look like the IACV plug. The IACV is the sensor that is directly on the backside of the intake manifold.

These next 2 pics looks to me like the the 4-wire 02 plug. You may need to extend wiring in order for this plug to reach the 02 sensor

This black plug can either be the the evap solenoid plug (the sensor that is usually mounted directly on the Si fuel rail) or could be the IAT sensor. According to my wiring diagram the IAT has a yellow/red wire, so this might just be the IAT plug which is important in getting your car running. If it turns out to be the EVAP solenoid plug, this is not important in getting the car running, but is smog related, and needs to be hooked up if you desire to make your car smog legal.

These are terminator plugs, don't worry about these, just make sure those caps are plugged in good and leave them be.

is this the IAT plug?

No. The IAT plug on OBD2 Civic engine wire harnesses is black, just like the black plug above.
This looks like the knock sensor (KS) plug. How can I tell? the KS uses a single wire. And accoring to my OBD2b ecu pinout diagram, the KS wiring is red w/blue stripe. You can reference this here (pin C3):
http://technet.ff-squad.com/wiring.obd2b.htm

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by Katman at 4:28 AM 3/4/2007