Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piecing Swap v.s. Buying Whole

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piecing Swap v.s. Buying Whole

Not too much when I searched so figured to ask the hybrid guys instead of civic guys.
I'm looking to piece together my B18b swap for my EG and was wondering if it would be cheaper (and more reliable) to piece together the swap as opposed to ordering a swap from a place like hmotorsonline.com (which includes a warranty and "low mile" engines)
Junking is an option for this all but figured I would ask which is better and why; pending personal experiences too.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Piecing Swap v.s. Buying Whole (slacks)

anyone?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:30 PM

Just did an LS swap into my EG and pieced most of it together. Takes alot more pieces then you think and alot more time to get each one. I bought the long block and tranny separate and pieced everything on to it. spark plug wires, dizzy, alternator, mounts, brackets, dust cover....the list could go on and on. If you want to do it quick in one shot buy a complete setup online. By piecing it together it is probably more expensive and takes longer but if you are still new like me you will fully understand how everything works and where it goes if you piece together.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Piecing Swap v.s. Buying Whole (oompalumpa61)

good point. i might just end up ordering everything all together to save money and go from there.
thanks for the input
Old 02-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmotorsonline

Buy H22 longblock and B tranny you will happier than an LS.

At least buy a B20.

Up to you. If you don't have time and tools and a little bit of money then don't bother trying to piece it yourself.

If you have done a couple swaps then you may save by piecing.
Depends on how much time you got.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Piecing Swap v.s. Buying Whole (sauceja)

Buying whole from a legit source!

Hmotors, Hmotors, Hmotors...

You buy from a legit source like Hmotors, they will set you up with the right OEM axles for the swap, and give you a deal on mounts. Buying legit like this may cost ya a tiny bit more but, you will know that everything is good and tranny wont grind or have issues if you had got it from a buddy for cheap etc...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

get a complete swap from hmotorsonline.com that way you won't waste time hunting down parts

gl
Old 02-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egsleepercivic)

every situation is different. Its all up to u.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (deucedeuceEK)

I like piecing a swap together. One of the BIGGEST advantages is the fact that you can pick and choose what you want. For instance, ALOT of people who do B18B swaps like using a VTEC transmission. Other people might have some old B-series mounts to use with it in a CRX that can only take a cable transmission. But if you buy a B18B package, you are stuck with a hydraulic LS transmission. If you don't like it, you are stuck having to sell it, and then finding the transmission you want. The same is true with other components, such as the ECU. If you live in Califonria and need a USDM ECU to ref the motor, once again, you have to find the one you need separately. Also, I am just not very impressed with some of the prices out there for swap packages. There are even SOME cases where importers will give you a better deal if you buy the motor alone. And finally, there is SHIPPING. If you don't live somewhere relatively close to the importer, count on paying at least a couple of hundred bucks for freight shipping. Oh, and you can;t see whatyou are getting until it arrives. Broken sensors? TOO BAD!!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: (StorminMatt)

i'd rather just buy a b16 swap and then get a b18a/b block.

this way you get the ideal head + ideal trans. plus it's cheaper than a gsr swap which has longer gears.

Piecing a swap together is more time consuming, you will have to be chasing parts, ordering crap and it will be more of a pain than it's worth IMO.

If I were to go b-series, I would buy a b16 swap with maybe an LSD. then take the jdm b16 pistons and put them in a b18a/b with arp rod bolts and a gsr girdle. and mate that to the b16 trans + b16 head.

usdm b16 pistons in b18a/b = 12:1cr
jdm b16 pistons in b18a/b = 12.2cr
both calculated with b16 head