Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd, TPS bad for the 3rd time??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd, TPS bad for the 3rd time??

When I got my B16 swap the TPS was broken. They sent me a new one and I put it on. Worked fine for 2 weeks then on the way to Florida my car starts to buck like it was running out of gas. Started out slow then it got bad. Then the CEL came on (TPS code) and it ran fine but with a 200 rpm higher idle. When I would shut off the car it would do it again. So I unplugged the TPS for the rest of the trip and it worked fine. I got another TPS and installed it. No problems for a few weeks then it did the same thing. Replaced it. Now with the current one, I can drive sometimes a month with it driving fine and then it does it again. I leave it plugged in and then sometimes I'll go start the car and it works fine again.
I can't see any relation to it acting up in any type of weather, temp, or after driving it hard or easy. It's just random.

Does anyone have a clue what it could be or is it just another bad TPS?
Old 12-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Odd, TPS bad for the 3rd time?? (nsxmatt)

I would check into the wiring... If it goes on and off and has done it with more than one TPS that's probably ur best bet... If you have a different ECU you could try that too, but my guess is there is a break or short... Continuity test and test the resistance of the power, signal, and ground... If not then i'm just not sure... Good Luck
Old 12-17-2002, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Odd, TPS bad for the 3rd time?? (JDMspecEG6)

..and to add, perhaps your throttlebody is the culprit too. Take the TPS off and see if there's anything inside the cup area where the TPS swinging arm resides.

Another thing that comes to mind is your TPS adjustment, if you didnt notice, it can be adjusted like a distributor (slides forward or back, in the TPS's case, left to right), if its oo much advanced or too retarded, it will throw a check engine light immediately or eventually such in your case, and/or will make your car idle/run like poo.

You might possibly, have it accidentally set at the threshold of running like poo. So, I say mess with it before running out and buying another one. Maybe test out a friends throttlebody on your car....check the wiring like JDMspecEG6 mentioned.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not the T.P.S sensor it the TPS PLUG !!! Same thing happened to me , i just cut the TPS wires off and attached another TPS plug on to it plugged it back on and no more porblems !!!
Old 12-18-2002, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd, TPS bad for the 3rd time?? (Nix_TEG)

I checked the cup where the TPS arm swings and it's good and clean, i've adjusted the TP and checked it with a volt meter to make sure it was in the correct position at idle (I think it's 1.5?) The wires are all good to the ecu, I didn't modify them at all.
My ECU could be acting up seeing as it switches to VTEC at 6100 but I thought of something. If the TPS or plug was acting up would the ECU maybe think the throttle was not at full WOT and hold vtec till 6100? Or the ECU could be crummy. I may change the plug if I can dig up one and if all else fails i'll try another ECU.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Set your TPS voltage at 0.45volt+ when the throttle plate is closed... If you have it at 1.5 then the car shouldn't be running right.... It is indicating to the ECU that your throttle has been opened up... I didn't even think that is possible to set it that high but yea... Just put it back down to right under 0.5vdc.. At WOT it should be anywhere from 4.5-5.0vdc... Good Luck
Old 12-18-2002, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd, TPS bad for the 3rd time?? (JDMspecEG6)

Maybe it was .5 I set it at? I'll double check tonight. Or was it 1.5 at WOT?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever solve your problem?? And what was the TPS set at??
Old 12-30-2002, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Odd, TPS bad for the 3rd time?? (Jason kiDD)

Didn't fix the problem. It was set at .45. I tried .5 also and still the same problem. Also replaced the plug with a new one and same problem. I'm thinking maybe it's something else causing the TPS to malfunction. Either that or having the TPS set off in voltage somehow caused it to go bad. Guess I need to get another TPS and try it Anyone got one?