Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nj emissions pass with a jdm which ecu do i use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nj emissions pass with a jdm which ecu do i use?

hey gus i have a 96 integra gsr with a 97 integra type r swap! 5 speed manual currently woth a chipped p28. I know how to bypass the ckf sensor and do te wiring trick. But i was wondering whch pcm i should use for te correct maps tps and etc so that i can pass. I know a p73-a03 would work but wanted to know my other options! Im pretty new to the honda world too so any help would be great!!!!

Aslo how do i get pass the other fuel tank sensor that the 97 usdm set up has but the 97jdm doesnt have
Old 08-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Nj emissions pass with a jdm which ecu do i use?

Since your car is OBD2, it's likely that all they do is scan your ECU for emissions codes and check the seal of your gas cap.

JDM ECUs are NOT OBD compatible and therefore will not communicate with their scanner. Same with your OBD1 ECU. States handle lack of ECU communication in two ways:
1) Tailpipe test instead.
2) Instant fail.

It's up to you to figure this out before you go in, but I would expect an instant fail. If they're willing to tailpipe test, you'd better have a cat converter installed, which is required by law anyway.

To complete the swap legally, you need to have all the sensors and emissions items hooked up for that engine and in working order. You also need a ECU that's compatible with the that engine and of the correct OBD version. The best possible ECU would be a USDM OBD2a Integra Type R ECU. Good luck on that. Last one I saw on eBay the dude was asking like $1,200.

You might also run into issues with the engine being JDM, but again, that's up to you to check.

Ultimately you just want things to appear as stock as possible, have a cat-converter, have both O2 Sensors, have all the evap stuff hooked up, have an ECU that will talk to their scanner and have no fault codes stored.

This is general information that applies to most OBD2 testing. NJ might be different or offer alternatives or other tricks to get around it that you'll need to check,