Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Euro (JDM spec) ITR transmission woes..this is what was making the strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Euro (JDM spec) ITR transmission woes..this is what was making the strange noise

Well here's my setup: '99 B20 with '98 Euro ITR (4.785 FD) transmission. We put it all together and it drives fine except for this strange 'whirring' sound when you are crusing along...next we find that my axle seals appear to be leaking.

I take it into honda and the dude there says the differential may be f00ked, since appears to be loose in the casing.

A friend of mine takes the tranny out of the car and opens it up...here's what we found:

My friend said this appears to be the wrong bearing on the differential...the diff wasn't snug in the casing and was only being 'held' by the axles!!

...and the result:

Notice the lovely scraping away of the transmission casing.

Here you can't really tell but there is a big clump of metal shavings in the case:

And to add to the phone me and my GF are on another break....WOO!
Sorry i'm in a b1tchy mood...

My friend is pretty sure that the gears and everything are OK. He said I was lucky a large chunk of metal didn't flake off and ruin everything.

So now we have to replace at least 2 bearings, and possibly the casing if we can't fix it. It could have been worse, but when you buy something this expensive with only 65000 kms on it, you expect it to be in working condition.

It's not the seller's fault tho...I guess the yard/ppl he got it from had the original cracked case replaced and did a sh1tty job of reinstalling everything. The guy i bought it from was originally selling me a tranny with 100 000 kms on it, but sent me the one with less kms for the same cash...so to him, to the guys he got it from.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Re: My Euro (JDM spec) ITR transmission woes..this is what was making the strange noise (DevinW)

ouch. sorry to hear about that man. life's a biatch.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:44 PM

damn that sucks man, sorry to hear it, let the seller know whats up...
Old 07-09-2003, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (granada_sun)

I hope we only have to replace some bearings...don't know if the case is still useable. Hopefully it will be and I can finally get this beast on the road for good.