Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey

Modified by Zakar at 4:50 AM 2/27/2005
Old 12-23-2002, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (MusclecarGuyhasHonda)

So you are wanting to go turbo and cheap?
Old 12-23-2002, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (Jeff C)

Well with cars as you know you are only limited buy budget. But one of the easyest and cheapest ways to go is the B16a1. This is from a Civic in Japan. And any of the B series motors are easly and "cheaply" swaped in. They range for the DOHC VTEC B16, B18C1 & B18C5. They are all very good motors and make great horsepower for the size. From 160hp to 195hp. They are all "bolt in" too.
If that does not satisify your need for speed then you can go a little more exotic and swap in a H22. That motor makes 200hp and 160ft lbs. That is a Torquey motor (for honda). I just finished doing one of these in a 1996 civic. It was "easy". The hardest part was the wiring. And that has to be customized. There is A LOT of work. Just take your time and label EVERYTHING!! You do need to purchase a mount kit for this swap too. That car will move quite well!! I hope that helped.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:54 AM
New User

Hehehe,

I used to own a Dodge Ram Charger and a 68 Camaro so no worries

The best engine swap into that Honda chassis is any of the B series engines. B16, 18 or 20. Of all the various flavors the best bang for the buck in my opinion is the B18C1 (Teg GSR engine) the B16 is cheap, plentiful and makes power on the high end but the lack of torque will irritate you (particularly with your familiarity with V8's) the B20 is a great platform to develop and has lots of torque but is sort of lack luster in stock form. The B18C5 (Teg Type R) is the best B series engine in stock form but being the mother of all B series engines it COSTS like a mother as well.

The H series from the Prelude is also a good swap canditate but has its own set of issues and isn't directly bolt in.

Hope this helps

Mike
Old 12-23-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (KENLUDE97)

Well with cars as you know you are only limited buy budget. But one of the easyest and cheapest ways to go is the B16a1. This is from a Civic in Japan. And any of the B series motors are easly and "cheaply" swaped in. They range for the DOHC VTEC B16, B18C1 & B18C5. They are all very good motors and make great horsepower for the size. From 160hp to 195hp. They are all "bolt in" too.
Uh just to let you know, the B16A1 isn't from Japan cause of the #"1" after code B16A.

Well I suggest getting a coupe and start your project there. A 4dr is just a waste of time in my opinion. I'm sure you'll be happy with any B series motor but I prefer the VTEC motors over NONVTEC.
If you're willing to build a motor cheaply, Try one of those hybrid setups such as LS/Vtec or CRV/Vtec. It's a NON-Vtec block with the VTEC head. This combo makes for a good low-end/top-end power.
I myself have a LS/Vtec that I built myself from a bare block and from the ground up. The build up of my engine only took about 2 weeks but would of been a lot quicker if I didnt have to wait on parts .It's pretty easy to do, and with the help of Honda-tech I'm sure you can accomplish it yourself.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (tnbigdawg)

Well I suggest getting a coupe and start your project there. A 4dr is just a waste of time in my opinion.
Actually his 4 door dx is lighter than both the ex coupe and the si hatch, so I would consider it a perfect canidate for a swap. It makes for a nice sleeper too.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (Slopoke)

Welcome to honda-tech!
Youll see we arent like the average honda/import board, alot of owners on here own muscle cars.
I will be purchasing a 69 chevelle SS in a few weeks so ill be making my first venture into the world of domestics hehe.

anyway, I would go with an engine swap.
for about 3000$ you can put an integra GSR motor in and it will make that 4dr a fast honda.
http://www.hmotorsonline.com
http://www.passwordjdm.com
http://www.jdmhondaparts.com

those are some places to start looking if you want to swap.

I would highly advise a swap, If you turbocharge that POS DX motor, you will make about as much power as the swap, but run the risk of decreased reliability.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (Slopoke)

Well I suggest getting a coupe and start your project there. A 4dr is just a waste of time in my opinion.

Actually his 4 door dx is lighter than both the ex coupe and the si hatch, so I would consider it a perfect canidate for a swap. It makes for a nice sleeper too.

4 door dx is a GREAT sleeper

oh yeah, a b-series swap is better then the h-series swap (personal opinion). but it's up to you though.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (sleeperciv)

Thanks for all the Feedback peeps..

if the wiring has to be drasticly modified, then the H22 is out.. Thats too much work. i was thinking about a B series Turbo.. do the B20's spin as high as the others? and should i replace the clutch with something better if i get one of those 30k mi JDM motors? my shifter is pretty sloppy aswell, i'm thinking about getting something aftermarket.. what types are there? how much do they usually run?

why is the Si so much heavier? is the motor that much heavier? my civic is 3245lbs (says http://www.astro.umd.edu/~petitpas/C...vic/specs.html)

Hows do i go about getting a disk brake setup for the rear of my car? i've got rims in the works for spring(17's), what are the biggest slicks you can fit under one of those?? the windows are getting tinted black (car is metallic black).. kinda going for a low profile look....

zach

Old 12-23-2002, 10:22 PM

why is the Si so much heavier? is the motor that much heavier? my civic is 3245lbs (says http://www.astro.umd.edu/~petitpas/C...vic/specs.html)
whoa, those numbers shown are way off. there's no way a civic(any model, any generation) will approach anywhere near 3000lbs. check edmunds.com...a 4door dx is approx 2275 lbs. i don't know where that site you're referencing got their information, but those weights are definitely incorrect.

look here:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1992/hon...tml?id=lin0066

i think see what it is...that site you're looking at seems to have accidentally put "3" instead of "2." for instance, a civic shown as weighing "3200" lbs should actually weigh "2200" lbs.

[Modified by PPen131, 7:29 AM 12/24/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 10:24 PM

the B20's have a lower redline but it has good low end power. Combined with quality internals and a vtec head would be great as well as increase higher RPM stability-Depending on your Engine Management of course. If you plan on turbocharging, might as well change the clutch while the engine is out. I think I've heard people saying that the GSR trannies works well with turbo. Shifter, I think the short throw shifters run about $30-100+ because there are cheap ones, and there are quality ones. People recommend getting the steel shifters over the aluminum ones because of strength.
As far as rear disc conversion, do a search because it can be aquired from a number of different cars.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id go with an LS motor (b18b) if you want to boost it

yes replace the clutch, I have an Action 6puck and i LOVE IT, i can get you a good price on one if your interested. it engages like stock but grabs, hard.
it was going to be used on a b16 turbo but im now selling my car.

shifter is fine as stock, just get a shorter shift ****. the stock civic ones sticks up like 3 or 4 inches.

the SI is heavier from all the extra crap they put in it, ABS, sunroof. power everything, etc etc. all that little crap adds up.
Old 12-24-2002, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea, you could get an LS (B18A or B) and then get FFGeoffs turbo kit...that should rock.

I would get some 15 or 16" wheels and tires cause you are going to want a meatier tire than what is avaliable for 17" wheels. I would say get some Rotas, stock 99-00 Si wheels, or stock GSR wheels then put some 205/50's on them.

On the rear brakes, I am not a 5gen civic dude, but I would say you can get the entire rear trailing arm assy from a 94+ Integra and swap them over to your civic.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That site is showing gross vehicle wight. I guess that's the car's maximum rated load...you know, with like 5 passengers.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try checking out Import Builders at http://www.importbuilders.com

They can do about anything, and are reliable, make good power, and know what they are doing.

Check around their parts lists and prices. You'll see that they have stock rebuilt B16A's for sale as complete swaps. They also can custom buld an engine combo for you, plus buld it for turbo, N/A, nitrous, whatever.

Welcome to the Honda club. My tech guy has been bulding street rods for 30 years, and I have finally opened his eyes to the power an potential of imports and 4-cyinders in particular.

And, I also have a weak spot for old Mopars and AMC's, especially the 69 Chargers, Challengers, and the AMX.

Just because we drive Imports, a few of us on this board realise there are more cars out there...
Old 12-25-2002, 12:41 AM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (tnbigdawg)

Well I suggest getting a coupe and start your project there. A 4dr is just a waste of time in my opinion. I'm sure you'll be happy with any B series motor but I prefer the VTEC motors over NONVTEC.
If you're willing to build a motor cheaply, Try one of those hybrid setups such as LS/Vtec or CRV/Vtec. It's a NON-Vtec block with the VTEC head. This combo makes for a good low-end/top-end power.
I myself have a LS/Vtec that I built myself from a bare block and from the ground up. The build up of my engine only took about 2 weeks but would of been a lot quicker if I didnt have to wait on parts .It's pretty easy to do, and with the help of Honda-tech I'm sure you can accomplish it yourself.
First of all, the 4 door isn't a waste of time. It has about 300 more lbs than a hatchback and the same wheel base. Secondly, the CRVtec isn't a cheap motor. It cost as much as a B18C5 if not more. The LSvtec on the other hand IMO, is the best bang it's the buck. You can get a B16 long block for $400. The tranny will cost arond $600-700. And you can purchase the LS short block for around $250. The rest of the necessities will add up to around $2000. This is a great setup if you're on a budget and want to stay away from the torqueless B16. I strongly recommend the LSvtec or even better, the CRVtec for your sedan.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (GapxGuy)

Muscle;

You are not the only V8 guy who visits here. I've got a 64 Chevelle 2 door wagon. As long as questions posted here are about Hondas, then everybody seems helpfull and friendly. Heck, "car guys" are "car guys". I'd even be willing to talk to somebody that owns a Ford.

My recommendation for you would be to check out a B18B swap out of an LS integra. Although the B18C is a better (higher RPM) engine, they get rather costly.

Count on getting a "mount kit". Try Hasport or Place Racing. (If you want to start a long, angry, string then all you have to do is ask which is better.)

The wiring is an "issue", but others in the past have been able to do it. If you are not good at figuring out a wiring diagram then it may be best if you just pay to have the loom modified for you. Hasport and Place are both places where you can have this done.
Old 12-25-2002, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (Wes V)

Thanks for the input people.. although i'm sure that i am capable of doing the whole swap myself, (can't be THAT much different, just more **** in the way) lately i've been extremely sick of working on ****.... so i'll probably have a buddy do it.. or take it to a shop... i've decided i'm not going to go with a turbo right away.... it prob wouldn't be as fast as my shelby anywaz..

what sort of wiring changes have to be made? i took Electronics in Highschool so i'm sure i can figure it out... but don't really feel like ******* with it so i might just have it done like someone suggested..

Once again, thanks for all the input.. Hope everyone is having a good Christmas!
Old 12-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can find wiring diagrams, and ECU pins at:
http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/index.html

And a how-to is at:
http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto.php

Old 12-26-2002, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Muscle car Guy needs help from Former Prey (Wes V)

He's got a 5th gen, he doesn't need a mount kit.

If you're going to boost it, I'd put my vote in for a B18B. If you're not going to boost it, and you just want some power to your daily driver, then B18C1 (USDM GSR Engine) or hydro clutch JDM B16A. Both of which are bolt in and have stock reliability.

As someone already pointed out:

http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/5gtech/index.html