Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now

So my exgirlfriend blew up my motor on my 95 LS Sedan with 113k+ miles. I can't afford a new engine right now but I have a friend who is selling his B16 with less then 40k for $650 without the manual tranny that I don't need. My car is an auto so if I were to bolt the b16 in my car, what would I need to wire in the VTEC? He says my current wiring harness will run the motor, but do I need to upgrade my ECU to make the VTEC work? Would a manual ecu work on an automatic? or do I need to do some special chipping? Don't flame guys, I'm just seeing what my options are.....

It sucks walking to work everday

Who knows I may be a lil quicker then my LS since I have VTEC... I'm gonna miss the 1.8 though

drop some ideas
Old 11-12-2003, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now (Type Wah)

anybody?
Old 11-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now (Type Wah)

To answer your question. If I was doing the swap I would run the auto ECU (cause the manual one will not work. I would wire vtec up to a window switch BUT you LS ecu does not have the right fuel maps or RPM limiter to right Vtec right. (READ: you have to find a way to raise the limiter and put better fuel maps in aka chipping it if you can) I would contact a importer (JDMshit, Hmotorsonline, etc) and ask them if they have any AUTO vtec ECU (your OBD of course) laying around, they will probably be cheap.

I hope I answered your questions
Old 11-12-2003, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now (turbogixxer)

^Thank you for not flaming.... I had a convo with my buddy who is selling me the B16 and he said LS motors are cheap and I can get one like $200 cheaper then his B16 but he says i'll have the advantages over the LS with VTEC. Anyways, I'm glad to hear that they make auto VTEC ecu's. Is there a certain kind I should look for to complete my setup?

Old 11-12-2003, 02:23 PM

Is the problem in the head or the block? What's wrong with it? Save yourself the trouble of going with the b16 and pick up a b18. B18 short blocks can be had for very cheap. If you're gonna swap something else in there do it right and to do a swap the right way it usually costs more. B16 with an auto tranny makes me cringe It's just not right. If you're gonna put a b16 in there use a standard tranny. Good Luck
Old 11-12-2003, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is turbogixxer, my friends computer will not log him out.

If you get a P72 or a P30 (I would pick a P30)

If you were to buy another Ls and go LS/vtec with a auto trans, you will have more problems cause A) Find a computer that will support that HP (an auto ECU) will be hard. and B) honda auto trans do not handle nearly as much HP as the manual ones do. If you plan on doing LS/Vtec, do a manual convertion too.

BTW, LS long/short block are easy to find and are cheap ($200-500).
Old 11-12-2003, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now (Pat McGroin)

Maybe you guys are right.... I didn't even open up my engine yet to see if its even broken.... My dad says all that I need is a new radiator, water pump, and timing belt... lol, maybe he's right.... maybe the head is toast cuz it was smoking and my guage was way past the "H" when it overheated....

what could be wrong? it wont start
Old 11-13-2003, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the price of the B16 you could get a B18B LS or possibly even a B20B/Z CRV block which both would make for an easier replacement. Finding an auto VTEC ECU wouldn't necessarily be hard if you were to install the B16 as many importers have these since people rarely buys auto swaps. But, you will then have some wiring to do and the end result will be a car with VTEC that isn't really any faster or more powerful than before. Unless you were to manually shift you won't be able to stay into the upper RPM powerband where VTEC motors make their power.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:49 AM

Does it turn over at all? If you have have electrical power and it doesn't turn over it could have seized up when you overheated. It's really hard to tell what's wrong with it from "it won't start". Need more details.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now (diycx)

You guys are right... I decided to buy my buddy's 95 LS motor with 80k for $400... He said he'll even install it for $800 and that is including the motor so $800 total. Is this a reasonable price? I've never did an engine swap before so I wanna make sure I'm not making any mistakes. I know shops would charge way more then this but I think I might hop onto this opportunity... it really sucks not having a daily driver

Thanks for everyone's help... I really appreciate these wonderful answers
Old 11-13-2003, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now (diycx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diycx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does it turn over at all? If you have have electrical power and it doesn't turn over it could have seized up when you overheated. It's really hard to tell what's wrong with it from "it won't start". Need more details.</TD></TR></TABLE>
When I turn they key, it makes that starting noise... but it doesn't actually start and you can hear it turning, but it just makes a rumble sound like it wants to start, but it doesn't.... its hard to explain, i'm a newbie when it comes to car talk...
Old 11-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you checked to see if it is something small and not the motor?
Old 11-13-2003, 10:32 AM

I would get it inspected first before dropping $800 on a new motor. Maybe your distributor just crapped out or a bad fuse or some other small thing. Nobody even knows if it's even the engine that has a problem! Lots of cars don't start for whatever reason but it doesn't mean that everybody should just go out and buy a new motor . It just seems like you're making a pretty big move even though you have no idea what the problem is. Find out what the problem is and then look for a solution unless you don't mind coughing up almost a $1000 everytime there's something wrong with your car.
Oh and btw, do you know and trust this "friend" of yours with the ls motor. How many clicks? How's the compression? How long has it been sitting around? Does it run well? Jeez man, they're called life skills. Think about what you're rushing into
Old 11-13-2003, 11:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diycx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would get it inspected first before dropping $800 on a new motor. Maybe your distributor just crapped out or a bad fuse or some other small thing. Nobody even knows if it's even the engine that has a problem! Lots of cars don't start for whatever reason but it doesn't mean that everybody should just go out and buy a new motor . It just seems like you're making a pretty big move even though you have no idea what the problem is. Find out what the problem is and then look for a solution unless you don't mind coughing up almost a $1000 everytime there's something wrong with your car.
Oh and btw, do you know and trust this "friend" of yours with the ls motor. How many clicks? How's the compression? How long has it been sitting around? Does it run well? Jeez man, they're called life skills. Think about what you're rushing into </TD></TR></TABLE>
Dude, all I know that when my car overheated, black smoke was coming out of every hole.... (oil cap, dipstick, radiator, block) my friend said it could be seized & toasted... i'm getting a compression check today or tomorrow to see if my motor is worth trying to fix... i'm pretty sure its fucked, if not, great... i'd love to just fix something small and have my car running again... i know that the radiator is broke so if thats all i need to replace, that would save me some $

Old 11-13-2003, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm, overheating problems and the car not starting. That sounds like it's a blown headgasket.

A compression check will tell you the results.

It *could* be possible the engine is warped and not having high enough compression numbers to have a running motor. In that case, you will need a new long block.

Get compression numbers, replace your headgasket first, then check compression numbers. If the compression numbers with a new headgasket is still low as hell, then replace the motor.

HTH.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diycx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Jeez man, they're called life skills. Think about what you're rushing into </TD></TR></TABLE>

calm down buddy...have a or something... he just said he's a noob when it comes to car talk... people tend to look at alot of different options when thier car breaks down, especially if they are not the one always fixing it....

see, its rite here.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Type Wah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
its hard to explain, i'm a newbie when it comes to car talk...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-13-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Might not be the best idea but its my cheapest & only option right now (hondaZvic)

my buddy came over today to check my compression! but didn't bring any tools to remove a spark plug!!
So we're postponing it till tomorrow... lol

hopefully, my motor's not completely done.... if so, i'm gonna get a new LS motor
Old 11-14-2003, 02:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It maybe be a headgasket like poison said, BUT you have the possbly that, when you overheated it, you messed up more than just the headgasket (read: bearings, warped head/block, rings). To repair that, it will maybe cost more than the long block. Break it down and see what is wrong.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried to turn the motor over by hand? Get a socket wrench and a 17mm socket and try to turn the crank over. If it doesn't turn over then it's either seized (hydrolocked) or internal damage is keeping the crank from turning. If that works out, then it's time for a compression test.